Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 20:34

Plan: Restarted LCHF 1/22/17
Stats: 288.8/160.2/135 Female 5' 1.5"
BF:66.1%/33.5%/24%
Progress: 84%
Post I'm back, Again!

So, I'm not really new here, but I've been gone a LOOOONG time, so I figured I would come post here.

I did LC..... oh, 12 years ago-ish and lost 80+ lbs. Then I got married and fell off the wagon on my honeymoon. Tried desperately to get back on, but never really did. Then 8 months later I got pregnant, and gained 40 lbs. Sadly I did not have a 40 lb baby and go back to "normal". I have tried going back to LC several times since without much success, but here I am trying again. I have a MUCH different motivation level this time I feel much more determined. A group of us are also doing a biggest loser challenge at work so that is a little added motivation.

I started this lasts weekend and am already down 13 lbs. I know most of that is water, but just having less water I feel a ton better! I've been dealing with chronic pain in my feet and ankles, and that is already noticeably improved without all the swelling. It only took me 2-3 days to get into Ketosis this time around. I'm already not hungry much anymore. The headaches were really bad to start out but are pretty mild now. As long as I eat regularly the headache stays away. I still feel a bit fuzzy-headed though, but I know it will pass.

I am meal prepping on the weekends for work as far as breakfast and snacks go. I try to plan for leftovers to take for lunches, though I can always get a salad and grilled chicken in the cafeteria at work if I don't have anything else. I'm also drinking water GASP! I hate water, but i'm up to about 6 cups a day, so not quite where I need to be, but that is a HUGE improvement over the none i was drinking. Liquids before consisted of sweet tea and Starbucks iced chai, or hot tea or coffee but with lots of sugar or flavored coffee creamer in it, so pretty much everything I drank had sugar in it! It's a wonder honestly that i'm not a diabetic. At least, I don't think I am! I haven't had an A1C done in 2 years, but have an appointment to have baseline labs drawn in a month (soonest appointment I could get) because I would love to see how they change as I change! My cholesterol is all messed up I know, so I am curious to see what will happen with that doing LCHF.

Right now i'm still doing Atkins induction phase basically. I plan to try to continue to limit my carbs to about 20-25 though for a while, as that is how I did it before. I am also tracking not only total carbs and whatnot, but my macros, and trying to keep the carbs at around 5%.

Anywho, sorry for to book. I just wanted to re-introduce myself. I am a nurse and recently went back to school to get my bachelors degree, so I am not sure how much time I will really have to be here, but hopefully I will be here enough
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-28-17, 22:01
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

welcome back! I'm new here..but so glad to see all the information on this board!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 04:16

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome back, lonewolf
Glad you decided to post here again, Having support and accountability will help you stay on track for your weight loss journey. Good to see that you have read many, many LC books...two of the newer ones Why We Get Fat and The Obesity Code are probably my favorites, but so many new LC books now

To avoid the headaches, the recommendation in the New Atkins book is to drink a cup or two of salted broth, I continue to do that six years on since the diet is slightly dehydrating and can reduce enzymes, while also a nice warm snack. Some more tips on reducing side effects: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects. Plain water is always best, but there are water flavoring drops made with stevia extract now (packaged like Mio, I buy Stur on-line but there are other brands now) for some taste variety.

I am a big fan of using a blood glucose meter to test reactions to various foods. Even if not diabetic, there is good info about insulin resistance on the diabetes forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and how to test your reaction to foods. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...rollercoasters/

You know this forum, we hope to see you posting in different sub-forums as time allows. All the best with your return to school and weight loss.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 11:06

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
LC books...two of the newer ones Why We Get Fat and The Obesity Code are probably my favorites, but so many new LC books now

I will check those out! Thank you!

Quote:
To avoid the headaches, the recommendation in the New Atkins book is to drink a cup or two of salted broth, I continue to do that six years on since the diet is slightly dehydrating and can reduce enzymes, while also a nice warm snack. Some more tips on reducing side effects: https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/side-effects. Plain water is always best, but there are water flavoring drops made with stevia extract now (packaged like Mio, I buy Stur on-line but there are other brands now) for some taste variety.

Someone else told me about the broth (i don't remember that in the atkins book, but it's been many years since i read the full book). I will have to try that. Do you just add salt to the broth?

I'm actually getting quite used to the plain water. I find i don't hate it as much now and when I get cravings drinking a glass of water makes me feel a bit fuller and makes the craving go away. Win Win!

Quote:
I am a big fan of using a blood glucose meter to test reactions to various foods. Even if not diabetic, there is good info about insulin resistance on the diabetes forum. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 and how to test your reaction to foods. http://www.wheatbellyblog.com/2015/...rollercoasters/

I used to do this. I need to get a new meter. I used to have issues with hypoglycemia so had to test fairly often anyway. I learned that bananas spike my blood sugar SOOOO much that way, so I have to avoid anything with banana in it regardless of where I am on the diet. LOL.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 15:54

The possible need for added salt was always there, but not a big deal.
From the 1972 Original Atkin: "7. If weakness results from rapid weight loss, you may need salt."

With the New Atkins for New You (called NANY here) broth became part of the induction instructions for everyone unless have salt-sensitive high BP. You can buy regular boxed broth, that has enough salt if not a Low-Sodium version, or can even use the cubes. Best is a home-made bone broth to which you add salt, but that takes more work.

You may get them as a nurse, many buy the meter and strips at Walmart. I use on-line stores like this one for meter and strips combo deals. https://www.adwdiabetes.com/product...r-100_15024.htm. Have been happy with the True Metrix accuracy, True is a company that makes store-brand name meters for drug and department stores.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Jan-29-17 at 16:01.
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 08:56

Thank you Janet for the info!

Still doing well so far! I am down now to 273.6 lbs! Hubby is only half-way doing this (low carb dinners, and making better choices when out, but not doing strict LC like I am). Half-assing it he's lost 7 lbs! I wish it were that easy for me, LOL.

I made low-carb buffalo chicken lettuce wraps yesterday. They were awesome! I also prepped breakfasts for the week - Chia seed "pudding" to help with my need for more fiber and LC scotch eggs - OMG why did no one ever tell me about scotch eggs before?? they might be a perfect food! LOL.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 12:57

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 315/230/185 Male 5'9
BF:
Progress: 65%

Welcome back lonewolf. You are off to a terrific start! Look forward to following your journey to a healthier you. Wishing you the best of luck.

Chris
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 13:00

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

Welcome back! I am sitting here rereading Atkins 72.
I find for me going back to the source clears the cobwebs and gets me on my way right and well!

Congrats on the 7 lbs!!! Way to start.. and as for men, My husband is the same way. He decides to drop weight and it falls off him. He can also eat and not gain.. It is so annoying!
But lucky him..

Can't wait to see you hit goal!
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 06:16

The speed of men's weight loss is so irritating, except of course, for all the helpful guys on this forum Check out the milestones posts from Ken http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=465302

Grav http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=476150

Thud http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=470285

GRB, NE Marvin, St Pete Tim and so many others!! for their great tips.

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Jan-31-17 at 06:26.