Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 20:53

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 272/233/220 Male 73''
BF:
Progress:
Default Newcomer

Hello everyone. My name is Dan and I have been on a low carb diet since 9/5/2016. I am 41 and started out at 273 lbs. after being on a pretty strict induction ( I never truly counted my carbs) I was down to 227. Lately though having introduced some more carbs but not a lot more, back into my diet I have bargained 5 or 6 lbs in a week or so. It is very frustrating and counter productive mentally. I just was hoping for some feedback and support. I felt so great about this but now I am disheartened. Any thoughts would be great thanks everyone.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 21:27
Say NO to Diabetes!

Plan: My own - < 30 net carbs
Stats: 440/228/210 Male 5' 11"
BF:Energy Unleashed
Progress: 92%

Hello Dan. You've found a good place for information, support and inspiration. Welcome.

About your gain issue. That is totally normal when you add back carbs. There is a line (carb limit) that, if exceeded, will bring on water weight. It is different for everybody and may even be different depending on how active you are. For me that limit is around 50 net carbs. If I go above that for more than a day or two I will have 5 pounds fly on. If I eat carbs below that limit the water weight will come back off within a few weeks. If I understand it correctly, eating above this limit means that you are replenishing your glycogen stores (ready-to-use glucose). For each pound of glycogen you will retain 2 pounds of water (or something like that). The weight is from this is not fat. You can eat above this carb limit some and remain low carb. And you can still lose weight if the extra carbs you are eating don't make you eat too much.

Personally, I like to remain below my 50 carb cutoff. I don't always succeed. I don't freak out when the water weight comes on. That is just how it works. Don't be discouraged.

Now if the weight keeps climbing then you are eating too much and likely need to dial back the carbs. Just keep tweaking it until you find the right zone that you want to be in. That is how I've been doing it.

I wish you the best in reaching your goal. Use your diet to figure out how you need to eat everyday. If you return to your old ways, so will the old scale number.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 05:50

BF:
Progress:

Thank you Ken I'm still new to this and saw so much success initially that I need to remember some of the things you mentioned. I appreciate the support and congratulations on your weight loss, it is very impressive.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 06:54

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome Dan,
Congrats on your success, you can easily get back on track. Ken is a great resource here, he is now an international success.
https://www.dietdoctor.com/way-eating-saved

You write your plan is Atkins, yet you havent read a book and don't count carbs. Just checking that you haven't added too many products ala the Atkins website (Just Eat Real Food instead) or are following an urban legend version of Atkins.
There is a very simple clinic version where you dont even have to count carbs BUT you do have to measure vegetable and limit some dairy products (cheese 3-4 oz, cream 2T). This restriction is often missed.
It is very much like the Atkins Induction right here: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=236482 or the Two week challenge: http://www.kostdoktorn.se/wp-conten...starch_diet.pdf

All the best,
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 12:27

Plan: atkins/LC
Stats: 275/198/145 Female 64
BF:
Progress: 59%

I have to chime in with Janet - cheese is a hidden danger! You can have it, but don't count on it as a staple. Good luck, and keep up the great work. Every little bit gone is a step in the right direction
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jan-20-17, 13:23

BF:
Progress:

Thank you for your responses. To say I haven't read any books on Atkins may be disingenuous. I have spent hours upon hours researching the new Atkins 20 and 40 diets. I don't routinely count carbs but do keep track of the amount of vegetables I eat. As for cheese, I was eating in after my two week induction but never saw any issue with regaining weight or stalling when I stayed in the suggested parameters on the Atkins website. I think my stall now or slight gain has been troublesome to me because I am so close to my goal weight and I haven't truly "cheated" at all. My wife is amazed at my willpower. I am relatively athletically built but grew quite the belly over the last 15 years. I have gone from a size 40 waist that were getting tight back to my 36" jeans that fit wonderfully again. I guess I just feel I need to talk to people who are going through the same thing I am. Already I can feel the support on this site. Thank you, sincerely.