Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 02:58
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/218/150 Male 6.0
BF:72%
Progress: 9%
Cool Me losing fat gaining muscle

hi guys n girls newbie starting out week 2 200+g protein and 10-20g carbs no sugar 103 k. 107 started -----weights 5 times a week feeling ok few headaches
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jan-17-17, 02:59
Registered Member

week 2 increasing reps
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-18-17, 16:49

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Gaining muscle is a good way to enjoy life. If you're having headaches from low-carb, try some broth--plain chicken or beef bouillon is fine. Don't forget that fat is the energy source you want--your body fat and the fat you eat.

Best wishes.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 03:30
Registered Member

Wink

Thx brother I'm getting there now less headaches I bought ketostix and now in ketosis feeling good I'm eating230g protein 15g carbs no sugar at all lifting weights 5-6 days a week getting a little stronger each day n clothes getting loose no alcohol am I doing this right plz Shakes creatine potassium supplements
  #5   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 03:31
Registered Member

love. to get feedback know one seems to bother
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-17, 11:57

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Quote:
Originally Posted by leedj
love. to get feedback know one seems to bother

Relax, buddy. It is January, so there are lots of new members with lots of questions. Patience, grasshopper

For your diet, carbs look good. Protein is much too high. Excess protein is converted to glucose in body- you can't absorb 200g a day, and this puts burden on kidneys (btw, I am a personal trainer and have master's in exercise science if that matters to you ).
How much fat are you eating? How many total calories? List a couple days of menus, so we can tell you if you "are doing it right." It isn't just about macros, it is about the food choices, too.

I also suggest starting a journal in these forums- that way people will "visit" you and help you with your questions.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 11:00
Registered Member

hi matey thx 4 reply every magazine sites etc I been on tells me I need 300g pro they all say 1g per pound of bodyweight I'm confused now so help me out plz
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 11:12
Registered Member

Food choices. ALL 100g. .. boiled chicken breast,bottom or Round stake broccoli spinach ...LUNCH,, 2 tins tuna a little cucumber 2. 50g shakes,,Before bed a skake with Greek style yogurt in morning2 eggs 1 egg whites olive oil sometimes I but alternative meat lean meat pork chicken steak liver chops pork fish cod prawn s
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jan-22-17, 12:26

Plan: LCHF/ketogenic
Stats: 163/132/130 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Hi Leedj. You'd be better off with fattier cuts of meat, added butter, mayonnaise, fatty dressings, heavy whipping cream, olive and coconut oil, etc. and to get rid of shakes. Yogurt is also borderline. Which version of Atkins are you doing?

I have been on an Atkins based diet for 7 months and did very well with 25 pounds gone in about three months. What I did is start at induction and gradually added tiers up to tier 5 (with limited quantities at higher tiers) and rarely stray from that level.

I highly recommend you read one of Dr. Atkins' books to truly understand the diet. You are not doing it right. It should be low carb, high fat, moderate protein. There are varying opinions on macro ratios, but generally fat is higher than protein and you have that reversed. 200 is probably at least 80 more than you need, but you do work out a lot, so can probably tolerate more than most of us.

Also, I ate real foods. The Atkins shakes and packaged foods aren't helpful. Even if you're using other shakes, some proteins can spike insulin (whey I think), so could be hindering your efforts. The Atkins website is designed to sell. That's it. Most on here call their products frankenfood.

Here is a link to the book I read and loved. It clearly explains the science and why low carb, high fat works. It's an easy read and under $6 for kindle download.

https://www.amazon.com/Dr-Atkins-Ne...diet+revolution

Here is a link that is also very helpful.

https://www.dietdoctor.com/how-to-lose-weight

Last edited by Ccat69 : Sun, Jan-22-17 at 12:33.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 05:02
Registered Member

Wink

cheers mate very helpful indeed I was told Hugh protein low carb no sugar was the Atkins dies t. so it seems wrong info was passed on to me I'll try fatty steak then and fatty pork chops and I can use omega3 butter
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-23-17, 11:53

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

Are you sure it wasn't 1g per KilOGRAM body weight? That is basic formula (btw there are 2.2 pounds per kilo, so that means you basically doubled protein suggestion if that is the confusion).
Either way, if a magazine suggested 200g per day, I would cancel my subscription. It is much too high and as I said, burdens your kidneys.

Glad you are going to try some fattier protein sources and ditch the shakes