Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 10:08

Plan: Wheatbelly?
Stats: 215/215/175 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:
Default Newbie here

Hi,

Well, I am reluctantly starting this. I admit there is nothing more I would like at this moment than a root beer. I indulged in the sugar ever since Thanksgiving and put on at least five pounds.

Just a little FYI, I am 6'3" 44 year old man and I my ideal weight would be about 175 lbs. A couple years ago I bloated up to 255 lbs and worked my way all the way down to 185 lbs over the course of a year. Hooray! But, I have been backsliding ever since, now up to 215 lbs. Time to stop!!!

My success was with a weekly low carb cycle and a cheat day once a week. I Maybe I will try that again, but I am open to other strategies. I just found the quick guide to Wheatbelly plan and I may give that a go.

Honestly, I am very unenthused about beginning this. I am changing some other bad habits and I find that this makes me want to indulge in food even more. I recognize that I am going to need greater support, motivation, accountability to make dietary changes this time around. That's why I joined this forum.

I may go have that root beer right now . . .

But, I intend to get things moving in the right direction, even if it takes baby steps for the first few weeks.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 10:15

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I hope you don't.
Try starting a Journal here so others can cheer you on.
Posting here helps me stay on plan and committed. When you are craving carbs, check out the amazing low carb recipes here- you will find endless ideas for really delicious food. Over time, the old garbage won't make you bat an eye.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 10:44

Plan: Wheatbelly?
Stats: 215/215/175 Male 6'3"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, Robin120!

I think what would be helpful for me right now is some advice on how to eat after working out. I started working out again and this is making me hungry all the time and the sugar cravings are particularly acute during and after the workout.

It takes a certain amount of willpower to workout, so I don't have much willpower left by the time I finish exercising.

Do you have any tips or can you point me in the right direction to some advice?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 14:35

Plan: low carb
Stats: 171/125/145 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 177%

I would ditch the cheat day- after a couple of weeks on a strict low carb plan, the hunger and sugar cravings typically go away. The cheat day keeps the demons alive.

I'm an avid mountain trail racer, myself- and after exercise I'm hungry! I like working out on relatively empty stomach, so I just plan to have a good meal after. I don't have specific things I eat, but if I lose a lot of sweat, I am careful to get enough salt, magnesium and potassium to replenish my electrolytes.

I also wouldn't push myself too hard in gym during the first 2 weeks while your body switched from burning carbs to fat. I would do more moderate exercise.

Once you are fat adapted, you might be surprised by your endurance
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 16:30

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtrn2Glory
...Honestly, I am very unenthused about beginning this. I am changing some other bad habits...

I would choose the habit that is causing you the most harm and work on that first. Perhaps it isn't what you eat that's most important at the moment.

Trying to change everything all at once is unwise in my opinion and experience.

Good luck, this site is not going away soon I reckon, plus there are others. Come back when you are ready to address what and when you eat.

PS this just crossed my mind, if you are interested in a baby step maybe you could join on this thread here http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...8&page=56&pp=15 and see if you can do something, like not drink root beer, for a few months and see what happens. All are welcome to practice what they like there.

Last edited by thud123 : Wed, Jan-04-17 at 16:34. Reason: ps
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jan-04-17, 20:37

Plan: Atkins 72 Induction/zc
Stats: 185/170.5/135 Female 67
BF:32
Progress: 29%

Try a low carb high protein shake after your workout. Use protein powder with no sugar but maybe sweetened with stevia. Will satisfy your hunger and your sweet tooth. Eventually the sweet tooth with go away if you stay low carb.