Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Local Low-Carbers & Support Groups > Canada
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 13:36

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 185/131.7/132 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 101%
Thumbs up Hemp Protein Powder

I just discovered hemp protein powder (by Manitobal Harvest, at Whole Foods). I have it with So Nice Natural soya milk as part of my breakfast.

Yummy! It has a poppy-seed taste to me.

I googgled it and found lots of benefits listed in the article. Karen, Have you used hemp protein isolate yet?

I'd love to hear from anyone else who has used it.

The blurb says: has a gourmet nutty flavor that tastes so good you can eat it straight from the jar. Use it to create delicious protein shakes, add it to juices, smoothies and green drinks.

Manitoba Harvest TM Hemp Protein Powder is a whole food protein powder. It is rich in complete protein, branch chain amino acids, Omega 6 & Omega 3 Essential Fatty Acids (EFAs) and healthy dietary fibre.

Ruth
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 14:12
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
I googgled it and found lots of benefits listed in the article. Karen, Have you used hemp protein isolate yet?
I have a cannister, but haven't made anything with it yet. The brand I have is Mum's.

Karen
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 15:13

BF:

I forgot to mention a very important benefit of the Hemp Protein Powder: It has only 1 net carb per 30g serving. (Carbs 5 gm, Fibre 4 gm.)

Ruth
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 15:30

BF:

Excuse me for having this conversation here with mostly myself

I also forgot to say it has 15 g of protein per serving.

Ruth
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jan-12-05, 21:53

Plan: My Own
Stats: ---/---/--- Female ---
BF:
Progress: 25%

Hey Ruth!
Thanks for the info! I love Hemp products. B4 lcing, I used to use a bit of hempseed flour in my pancakes - loved the flavour! I also really enjoy hempseed butter and the actual seeds (also by Manitoba Harvest). I had no idea that they make protein powder...I'll have to check it out! I like the sounds of it...is it expensive?
  #6   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 01:25
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
I also really enjoy hempseed butter and the actual seeds
The hulled seeds make a really nice coating for game fish like tuna and swordfish.

You can order it directly from Manitoba Harvest where it's 14.99 a pound.

http://www.manitobaharvest.com/

Karen
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jan-13-05, 13:20

BF:

Thanks Danispure for the info about the butter and seeds. I'll have to give them a try. The price of the powder at Whole Food is $16.99 for 16 0z. (454g).

Thanks Karen for the tip about using the hulled seeds as a coating for tuna or swordfish. When I was going to school in Berkeley, 1966-72, I used to eat swordfish a lot. Then there was a scare about something about it. But I think I'll give it a try again.

Cheers. Ruth
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 01:10
Forum Founder

BF:

Quote:
When I was going to school in Berkeley, 1966-72, I used to eat swordfish a lot.
Yeah, I think it was mercury.

You went to Berkeley at that time? I didn't know you were a former hippie!

Karen
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jan-14-05, 19:34

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karen
I didn't know you were a former hippie!

Karen

Ha ha, What's funny also is that I think a LOT of people on this board were former hippies as far as nutrition went...vegetarian, granola-munching, fish-eating hippes. Not that there is anything wrong with that, but I do think it funny (now) how 'pure' that refined flour and cane sugar filled crunchy treat felt when I ate it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 13:04

BF:

Thanks Karen and Dasanipure for your hippie comments. The reason it's taken so long for me to reply is I was enjoying reliving my Berkely years and and trying to recall the name of the famous Ballroom I went to once. I finally googled after remembering the name Bill Graham and discovered my memory was spot on and that it was indeed the Avalon Ballroom I attended once. A weird, colorful, smokey, ear-drum shattering noisey, and a bit scary for me, scene.

Two other Berkeley memories: I remember the excitement of attending concerts at a club of Jefferson Airplane and Ike and Tina Turner in San Francisco.

And before I was a low-carber I was a vegetarian ---that was how I gained those many pounds that I have now shed.

Amazing how being in a forum reply how one thing leads to another.

Enjoy the day!

Cheers. Ruth
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 14:39

Plan: Evolving and learning
Stats: 226/144/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 85%

You gained weight as a vegetarian?

I did, too. A LOT.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 20:31

BF:
Default Mee three!

welcome to the club of people who gained weight while vegetarian! i also messed up my hormones, became hypothyroid, and developed multiple cysts on my ovaries. thanks to IR and pre-diabetes, i'm at an increased risk of developing a myriad other problems too. not to mention the iron-deficiency anemia i suffer from...if i felt more litigious, i'd sue PETA for misleading me. i'm not saying vegetarianism isn't healthy, maybe it can be for many, but i think it was very dangerous for me. the funny thing is, i MISS tofu and eating grains and beans all day. i've never really liked meat, and i'd be happy to go back to my hippie ways if it didn't mean all the health issues...sigh.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-18-05, 20:57

BF:

Sorry, Dasanipure to hear about the problems you had because of being a vegetarian. I understand though when you say you enjoyed the food because I did as well. I keep thinking I'd like to have at least one meatless meal a week and keep an eye on things related to low-carb vegetarianism. What is IR?

Glad to hear that I'm not the only one who used to be a vegetarian. But, to be fair to vegetarianism, probably most of my weight gain came from over indulging in desserts and yummy terra breads and ice cream and just from eating too much. Low Carbing and Karen's cooking classes got me back in line with healthy eating.-- Although, now that I've reached my goal I feel challenged by the goal of maintaining it. So, the forum will be very important to me.

I've off to watch recorded tv programs of Huff and Carnivale. And sip acup of ginger tea.

Cheers. Ruth
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jan-19-05, 10:19

BF:

oh i eat meatless quite commonly...sometimes a few days in a row! but not vegan...that's near impossible. sorry if i came across as being 'anti-veg' - i'm not. i'm 'anti-veg-for-everyone-no-matter-what-pre-existing-health-conditions-may-be' (that's a mouthful!!) oh, IR is insulin resistance...it sucks and lots of people here have it. there sure is a lot of veggie carbage out there! terra breads are SO yummy. maintenance, i've heard, is almost harder than weight loss! talk to you soon!
  #15   ^
Old Tue, Feb-08-05, 19:13

BF:

Hi Dasanipure:

I just wanted to thank you for asking me about the price of the Hemp protein powder. I hadn't realized it was as expensive as it is. I still continue to have it as a snack with So Nice natural skim milk, but I use only one scoop instead of the recommended 2 scoops.

Cheers. Ruth