Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 09:58

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Question 3 weeks of Induction, lost and now gaining?

Hi, I'm 29, new to the forum and to following the Atkins Plan. I lost 8 lbs the first 6 days of Induction, started my TOM and still lost 1 lb the second week, but I've gained 1.5 lbs this week. I've been measuring and I've lost another 1/2" this week, but the weight gain worries me. Am I doing something wrong?

I've been diligently staying under 20 g of carbs, drinking 3 liters of water, and eating butter and bacon - for the first time in a decade! I'm eating less food than I used to, but definitely more fat and protein. I have been exercising (treadmill, 3.8-4 mph) for 30-45 minutes 4 days a week since August.

Background: Over the past 10 years I've lost 25 lbs on Weight Watchers twice, 65 lbs on Jenny Craig and never managed to keep the weight off for more than three years. I've been overweight my whole life, even on a toddler diet when I was 2.

I'm not too upset, just curious. BTW, I feel great eating low carbs and my face has not broken out since I started. Unprecedented in the last 5 years!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 10:18

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: 3 weeks of Induction, lost and now gaining?

Quote:
Originally posted by DivaDani
I lost 8 lbs the first 6 days of Induction, started my TOM and still lost 1 lb the second week, but I've gained 1.5 lbs this week. I've been measuring and I've lost another 1/2" this week, but the weight gain worries me. Am I doing something wrong?

Welcome Dani.

To answer your question, I'd say you're doing something right. Who care's what the scales say, they often lie. You're shrinking. LCing promotes fat loss and muscle gain, it stands to reason if you're taking up less space yet the scales say you weight more then you've replaced fat with muscle. A pound of each is still a pound and will weigh the same, but muscle will take up 1/3 the volume of fat.

If you've been following low fat / low calorie for many years, as it looks like you have then you've probably not been getting adquate protein either. Your body is making up for some lost time. Keep in mind also that having a history of yo yo dieting will make it harder on you. Your body needs to know it can trust what you're doing to it. Keep your calories up (10 - 12 times your body weight) and keep drinking your water (64 oz minimum) and by all means keep using that measuring tape!

best of luck,
Nat
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 11:38
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Smile hi DivaDani, welcome to our forum

Congrats on the 7˝ lbs and the inches lost. It's perfectly normal that the rate of loss is not a straight line downward .

Nat has covered all the points ... I'd just like to reinforce the recommendation to make sure you're eating enough. You did mention that you're eating less food, although your fat intake sounds fine. Do make sure that you're getting plenty of protein as well ... minimum 60g per day for women. One egg is 6g, an ounce of lean meat, fish or poultry is 7g.

When taking your measurements, do measure more than just the "standard three" - chest, waist, hips. Measure your abdomen, ribcage below the bustline, thighs, upper arms etc ... some weeks or months even, you will lose from these other areas of your body, and NOT lose from your waist or hips. You might think you're not losing any inches, when in fact you are.

Once again, welcome ... and keep us posted how you're doing. In fact, why not pop into our Introductions forum and say hello .. the rest of the gang would love to meet you

Doreen
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Oct-30-01, 12:05

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%

Nat and Doreen -

Thanks for the quick responses and the tips! I haven't been paying any attention to my calorie intake, so I'll start and see if it's anywhere near the 10-12 times my weight. (That sounds like a lot!) I'll also start measuring some of my other parts and tracking them

I guess I was just so excited by the quick loss the first week that I want it all to come off like that (snapping fingers here). I also got engaged the day after I started LCing (just coincidence), so I'd really like to lose at least 40 lbs by August for the wedding. So, I will keep doing what I'm doing and hope for the best!

Now, I'm off to Introductions

Thanks,
Dani