Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > PCOS
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 09:16

Plan: Atkins/SB/Low GI
Stats: 235/223/135 Female 64 inches
BF:47%/47%/20%
Progress: 12%

I've heard both great things and horror stories about laser hair removal and electrolysis. I think it absolutely depends on the technician. So the question seems to be how to find a good technician. I wouldn't even know where to begin in terms of asking questions. Any suggestions?

My endocrinologist gave me a prescription for Vaniqa. But before I filled it (it's not covered by my health insurance so it would've cost over $50) I checked it out online. And it seems that it only works for about 50% of the folks who try it. Those odds just don't sound good to me. But at this point I'm getting pretty desperate so I may give it a shot.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 10:25
Battling the Bulge!

Plan: none specific-
Stats: 259.5/227.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:2high! (no idea?)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josiemk
I'm a licensed esthetician & I was just about to give this advice. I have clients with the same problem. I wouldn't shave though because when it comes back it seems darker & more course ,so you have to do it every day but with the waxing you'll have to probably do it once a month. I have some clients that do eyebrows & lips once a month then the rest of their face every other month.

Good luck.
Josie

Oh wow! Once a month? that WOULD be wonderful~! I guess I could get some bleach & keep it bleached out as it grows out to that length? How long does it take to grow to that length anyway? (approx.) I mean- I could do that for a few days- but if it were a week or more- uuugh! How would one HIDE that? I would be mortified & humiliated if ANYONE seen it! It's just SO embarassing & makes me feel SO UGLY!
  #18   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 10:28
Battling the Bulge!

Plan: none specific-
Stats: 259.5/227.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:2high! (no idea?)
Progress: 30%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffy2512
tried everything to get rid of my facial hair and the only thing that worked for me was laser therapy. It took eight sessions and is expensive but now I have minimal facial hair - permanently - expensive but worth it. No more, shaving and waxing and worrying! Hope it helps.

That would be absolutely wonderful~!!!!
It IS a little expensive though- so I guess I will have to wait until the money is better! I'm with you though- it WOULD be worth the money in the end!
  #19   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 01:03

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 117//! Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 50%

Laser hair removal worked wonders for me. I really had some nasty chin hair that is has been gone for 3 years now. I had some finer hair on my neck that has come back due to hormones changing while being pregnant, though. Not sure why my chin hair hasn't come back, but I won't complain about that.

I was told be the nurse who did the procedure that dark hair against light skin works best because the laser can pick up the contrast easier. The darker your skin is, the more you have to be careful of burning (which leads to scarring) because you need a higher setting on the laser to detect the hair.

I
  #20   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 09:23
Ohmahgawd! Really??

Stats: 314/306.5/300 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 54%

Guess I am old fashioned, I still tweeze about every 3 days. It's a pain, but have had black and white hairs growing quite abundantly on my chin since I had children 15 years ago. (and I am blonde!!!) Been doing it that way for so long, its just part of my routine!
  #21   ^
Old Fri, Jul-01-05, 13:05

Plan: Not sure yet
Stats: 218/213/140 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 6%

It's great to know that I am not alone in this. I was diagnosed with PCOS which is the culprit for this hair growth. I've been feeling like I should join a freak show as the bearded lady or something. I've tried everything from facial hair removal cremes, to waxing, to plucking (but man that was a lot of hairs to pluck!) I've been reduced to feeling like a man by shaving every day. Which is really embarrasing!!!! I've lost relationships because of it (which is probably for the better if they were going to be so shallow to begin with) And I've been plauged with a case of Social Anxiety Disorder that I trace back to it. Modern society places so many restrictions on what is considered beauty, and dark sideburns, a mustache, and chin/neck hair on a woman doesn't fit into the modern classification for "beautiful woman" So I've been left feeling downright ugly.
I've been thinking about getting electrolosis, or Laser hair removal, but knowing how expensive it is, and considering that I have more to contend with than merely facial hair has been my biggest deterant.
I've been reading about a drug called Spironolactone that blocks the testosterone that causes this type of hair growth, but I dislike taking medicine for anything, let alone vanity issues.
Anyway, The posts in this forum have really helped me to feel less alone in this big ol world full of supermodel stereotypes.
Thanks
-Arranell
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-05, 14:31
Registered Member

Stats: 244/225/199 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 42%

I go for laser hair removal. Look for an aesthetics school. Usually you can get discounted prices there. The students are accompanied by the instructor.
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Jul-23-05, 07:59

Stats: 337/283.5/199 Female 5'7''
BF:
Progress: 39%

I had laser hair removal on my face. It cost over 3 thousand dollars, and the hair grew back about a year later. I am currently thinking about trying electr., but can not really afford the expense right now. I am to the point where I have to shave everyday and have very sensitive fair skin with dark facial hair.
  #24   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 06:16

Plan: dietician where i work at
Stats: 360/354/200 Female 67
BF:
Progress:
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna2128
I know exactly what your saying there! I'm right there with you!

yeah i know exactly where u guys are coming from...i have had bad facial hair since puberty. i am now twenty years old. the only solution that i have found that works best for me is the electric razor and tweezers. because i have tried nair and it doesnt do nothing at all. but i have tried electrolosis. and where i live it is 20 for 15 minutes. but it didnt help me at all because i have rapid hair growth. and it left welpts on my face. so like i said the electric razor and tweezers is my best way to go. because it is just something about a regular razor that just makes it worse...i have learned that over the years... hope i helped
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jul-24-08, 07:41

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

I've had laser on my face over a year ago, and because I've lost so much weight and stayed low carb my PCOS is nil. My androgen levels are normal.
The hair does not grow back, NEW hair grows back because you don't have control of your hormones.

when the weight comes off and you stick to low carb you will kick the problem.
  #26   ^
Old Wed, Jul-30-08, 05:44
Registered Member

Plan: Southkins
Stats: 280/252/190 Female 5'9"
BF:Let's/notgo/there
Progress: 31%

I have taken to using one of those infomercial devices, the Tweezee and using hot wax now and then. I have been dealing with chin hair since I was 21 and I am now 46. The Tweezee really works..it pulls the hair by the root just like tweezing them. I bought mine at Walgreens. Only pitfall is that is it battery operated, but I always have AAA batteries around, so it really hasn't been that much of a problem for me. The company that makes them also makes larger one. I have no problem with it on my chin at all pain wise...my lip hair will always be hot wax. It's faster and gets it over with!
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-09-08, 11:48

Plan: Keto 80/15/5
Stats: 264/263/150 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 1%

I am tweezing everyday, and hoping that sticking to low carb will rid the problems for good!