Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 12:37
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 198/136/140 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default Resistance Bands

I decided to start with resistance bands. I bought a set that contains five of them for different stages - I'm the baby stage LOL!

I'd really like to build up some muscle, as I am weak! I had been sick for a long time (almost 10 years) and had been housebound for the longest time. So that's why I decided on the resistance bands. The problem is, I can't seem to find any good instructions on how to use them properly, videos, dvd's, online, books - anything. I can only find band exercises that describe exercises in piecemeal (how to do an arm exercise, search more than find something that targets some other muscle) - I'm trying to find a routine that I can follow that also includes the core, arms, legs.

Does anyone have any suggestions, ideas? Any help is appreciated!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 12:49

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

I googled "rehab program for exercise bands" and found a whole-body one.

http://www.sparkpeople.com/resource...cles.asp?id=982

Also, and don't laugh, but the 6 Week Body Makeover kit uses resistance bands and it is very detailed, progressive, and whole body. (guess How I know, LOL). Maybe you could get one of those from ebay. or even PM me, I might have it somewhere?
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 13:03
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you soooo much for that link! I don't know where I was looking, but I never ever found anything like that!

Where do you see the "6 Week Body Makeover kit"?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 13:21

BF:

oh dear, you can google "Michael Thurmond 6 week body makeover." It's an 80s program that has been around forever - moderate-low carb, low fat, with exercise. You do resistance exercise only twice a week.

I searched on eBay and here is one starting at around 10 dollars. It's a well-designed program I think. It's progressive, appropriate for many starting levels, and it explains how to move up as you get stronger. It's NOT in the "punishing exercise to punish yourself " school of thought which is so refreshing.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_sac...exercise&_rdc=1
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 13:29
Registered Member

BF:

Thank you so, so, so much! You are really kind for looking into this for me. I will look into getting this.

It's NOT in the "punishing exercise to punish yourself " school of thought which is so refreshing. <--- that really cracked me up because some of the exercises I've looked at, I've thought of it as punishment!!

This really sounds like what I'm looking for, something to help me get stronger

Again, I really appreciate your help
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Sep-12-12, 14:42

BF:

Hey you are welcome. It is fun to find good programs that like you say, really get us stronger!

I think the trick is you just needed the secret code word that trainers use, which is "program." They make programs for beginners, programs for bands, programs for whatever . That is their jargon name for the combination of exercises for a person at one moment in time.

And then after a couple of months you need a new program. This is not just to keep them in business but our bodies really do change and so we need to, also.

Pretty neat!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-12, 19:34

Plan: none yet
Stats: 187/180/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 19%

That is very nice for you Ann and thank you very much for all your help Seejay... This could help a lot of people. Resistance bands are something new and not so many people know so much about it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Oct-02-12, 20:32
Registered Member

BF:

It was a physical therapist who suggested them to me. She said it's a great way to start, especially if you have any physical issues since the band exercises can be done in so many different ways, including sitting down (I like the sitting down part

And yes, Seejay was very kind and helpful looking things up on the web for me - a real sweetheart
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Oct-03-12, 09:22

BF:

Aw you guys. I like them too and think they are VERY useful especially when we are large. Just standing up adds a whole lot more whole-body resistance! and that can be counter productive.