Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#511   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 13:45
lbahr

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Ok, can someone guide me to some information on the PSMF woe? I would like to look into it. Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Linda
Sponsored Links
  #512   ^
Old Thu, Feb-09-06, 15:45

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

http://forums.lowcarber.org/showpos...4&postcount=352

This thread expired, and we can all be found at the low carb/low cal thread in the same semi-low carb forum. Please read the advice given to Alicatz there recently, as PSMF is too low calorie for someone starting off in your weight range.

Val
  #513   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 07:30

Plan: lc
Stats: 350/327/190 Female 5 ft 8in
BF:
Progress: 14%

I was on the PSMF last year worked 81 lbs in 6 months...but I didnt change
gained 39 back in like 6 weeks
back on
the more lean protein i ate with lots of water and good minerals the more i'd burn...5 lbs some weeks
back on
quite smoking this time , scale is not moving but inches are!
iam trying to creativly incorporated PMFD and Atkins...looks like i have to Omit the bags of prinds iam binging on...thats Not going to work for me LOL
  #514   ^
Old Fri, Feb-17-06, 07:36

Same comment for you Monica...at your size PSMF is too extreme. It is meant for body builders to crash off their last 10 lbs for example. When you lower calories to that extent the body will drop the metabolism pretty quickly. You should be able to adapt any diet so that it is higher protein and keep calories at 20% less than whatever maintains you. The weight comes off more slowly, but you won't gain it back as you did.
  #515   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 05:08

Plan: Paleo/IF
Stats: 165/148/120 Female 164cm
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi, are newbies welcomed here?
For some reasons, PP doesn’t work for me, weight loss-wise but I do want to lose a bit of fat before my birthday (the end of April that is), so I’d love to opt for this WOE.

Unfortunately I don’t have the e-book and forum at the official site does isn’t currently supported
Which is why could you help me out with some of the questions:
1.What is the optimal protein requirement fro my current weight (148 pds)?
2.How many servings of fruit/berries allowed daily? If any
3.Can I have 1 refeed a week, and is it really required? Should I choose only good carbs (with low GI, or any I wish)

And the last 4th question, which is the most essential – as long as I lose about 10 pounds at psmf I want to go back to PP again, won’t I gain all the lost weight back in this case (bc of adding fats into my meals)?
  #516   ^
Old Wed, Mar-08-06, 05:42

The website is not down. Just the forum. So you could buy the book which is the best thing to do...go to 'products' and you want the booklet called Rapid Fat Loss. You will need to do this properly as it is a modified fast. He talks about how to go back to your previous diet..and you can resume PP as long as you watch your calories, because that is why you weren't losing on it. Fat is fine, it is just highly calorie dense but how you proportion what you eat for maintenance is up to you.
  #517   ^
Old Wed, Mar-22-06, 11:22
Registered Member

Plan: CKD
Stats: 222/212/180 Male 5'7"
BF:28%/22%/10%
Progress: 24%

Lyle's PSMF definitely works and the chapters on maintenance afterwards really are great. I moved from Atkins/SB to PSMF to get things rolling. I actually prefer not eating so much fat anyway. I'm probably one of those weird people that prefers lean protein.
  #518   ^
Old Thu, Mar-23-06, 19:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by ketojoe
Lyle's PSMF definitely works and the chapters on maintenance afterwards really are great. I moved from Atkins/SB to PSMF to get things rolling. I actually prefer not eating so much fat anyway. I'm probably one of those weird people that prefers lean protein.

Yes, me too. I am maintaining by keeping fat low and still watching carbs, not eating refined carbs etc.
  #519   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 08:07

Plan: Wanting to start PSMF
Stats: 144/128/120 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress:
Default Need help with PSMF...

Hi, I have always used low-carb principles in my dieting. I had my second baby last July and starting working off the baby weight last November, then started the dieting at new years. I went from 144 at new years to 127 in April, then stopped losing. I have been at 127 since then! A body-builder friend of mine said that since I only have 8 pounds to go, and have less than 17.7% body fat currently (according to the BIA... I think it's actually a bit higher), I need to go PSMF. I know that this is essentially a high-protein, no-carb, low-fat, low-cal diet, and that I need to take my fish oils and multivitamin (which I already do). What I need to know is, how many cals should I be consuming? When do I do refeeds? How many cheats do I get? Can I use whey protein shakes on occasion? The problem is, I can't afford the book. Can you help? I'd really appreciate it! i know this is a big hassle but I don't have any other options but to ask for help, and I don't want to jump in the water without a life-vest! lol

Thanks in advance for the help.

Angel
127 pounds, 5'4", 17.7% bf
busy mom of 2 boys
  #520   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 08:21

Angel, aim for under 900 calories a day- I did around 750. Yes, whey shakes are OK. Use tuna, chicken breast, extremely lean red meat, lots of low GI veg, low fat everything, egg whites, fat free cheese, cottage cheese etc. You can use lots of herbs and spices to make it all more interesting, balsamic vinegar on stuff, etc. I did things like cook sliced chicken breast with wine, mushrooms, onions and herbs in parchment pouches and serve over steamed cauli. Just low fat most of the low carb recipes where you can and there are plenty of low fat subs you can use to help, like mock sour cream. Knocking out the fat gets the calories way down. Have one 'free meal' a week (this means eat a sensible meal, not a pigout). I wouldn't worry about a refeed for a week to ten days, then eat a carb re-feed, using quality carbs and low fat which will restore thyroid and other hormones. After that, eat slightly submaintenance calories for another week, then maintenance. You want to aim at doing resistance exercise to assist with metabolism if you aren't.
  #521   ^
Old Tue, Sep-05-06, 08:43

Plan: paleoish
Stats: 130/104/105 Female 5'1"
BF:-
Progress: 104%

I've just finished 2 weeks of PSMF. Haven't lost much weight (2lbs) but TOM is right around the corner so likely I'm holding onto extra water.

Angel, you have very low body fat so your body isn't likely going to let go of the fat w/o a struggle. But I do agree that PSMF is a good tool to use if your goal is to maintain muscle and lose body fat.

I'm going to do one more week of strict PSMF, then take a diet break.
  #522   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 05:50

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Hi, I've been stalled for 5 weeks. I keep my calories at about a 1000 and carbs at about 25. This sounds interesting as low fat appeals to me.
How low to go for calories?
  #523   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 06:32

Pennink, I saw in another thread you said you were eating between 1200-1600. Most people underestimate what they actually consume (me included) so you could actually be consuming more than 1600.. There is something very wrong if with 100 lbs to lose you would stall for 5 weeks on 1000 calories. However, you also mentioned something about being on medications. If they are anti-depressants, it is likely that is the problem, not the diet, as they often make people gain weight. If not, check them out as there may be alternatives which don't affect weight. I don't advise lowering calories below 1000 until you get down to around 180 lbs as there is then nowhere to go in terms of lowering them. If you are not exercising, then you must do this if you can as it makes a difference to the metabolism.

I started out 4 years ago at age 62 and around 200 lbs and dropped 30+ lbs straight away in the first year just eating less and lower GI. I then went low carb and lost a little more, but stalled for two years at around 160 lbs. That's when I dropped the calories and started weight lifting. I have now reached goal pretty much and maintain eating lower carb (under 100g), lower fat, and high protein, around 1500 calories a day to maintain.
So keep an exact record of everything that goes into your mouth...this means measuring and weighing food, enter it in Fitday for a week and take an average. Then re-assess.
  #524   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 06:45

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Hi,
Yeah, that was before I started using myplan. I have pretty much cut out the cheese.
I'm on steroids, diuretics, and a heart medication (that makes my blood pump slower=lower metabolism).
I have done the averages over the last few weeks and it's 954 calories per day. I was just using a book before.

Due to congestive heart failure I can only do light exercise. Looking after my puppy, very short, slow walks (with someone just in case).

I imagine it's the meds. I'm going to really watch the fat on everything and try to choose lower cuts of meat (hate fish except tuna, so I'll use that).

It's worth a shot! I did lose 133 pounds a few years ago on just low fat (lost my hair though--didn't grow back until I started the fats back). I wish I'd been wise and not let every crisis lead me to the fridge!
C'est la vie.
When you say weight lifting, what did you do to start?
  #525   ^
Old Tue, Sep-12-06, 12:28

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi.
I have 36lbs to lose and like to lose it by Jan.1st. So I can start a new year.
I go to curves 5 days aweek for over 2 1/2 years.
Was down to 125 and holding , BUT I gained 36lbs and like to get baCK SOON SO I CAN SET OTHER GOALS.
Right now IM doing curves diet.we will start next MONDay.
I also started being Lacto ovo. NO meats but do have cheese cottage. ect. and veg bugars. ect.
Im starting today with limiting diet pop to 2 a day.
Can some one give me tips to help me. like to lose 3-5 lbs aweek. im 56 good health.