Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-01, 05:56

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default 10,000 Steps

10,000 STEPS

One way of determining how active you are each day is to count the number of steps you take with a pedometer or step counter.

Exercise experts encourage people to walk at least 10,000 steps a day, which equals five miles. Usually when people begin recording their steps each day, they report anywhere from less than 1,000 steps to 10,000 or more. The average is about 2,000 steps a day, which equals about one mile depending on stride length and pace.

A minimum of 8,000 steps a day is needed to receive the general health benefits of walking, including a decreased risk of heart disease, diabetes, and some types of cancer.

Step counters can be especially advantageous for people who travel a lot and find themselves sitting in airplanes for long periods of time. The daily step counts can serve as a reminder to get up and walk rather than sitting and waiting for the next plane.

Also, people who work in offices usually walk between 3,000 to 5,000 steps a day, which requires another 2 to 3 miles of walking when they get home from work to reach the 10,000-step goal.

Many people find pedometers and step counters a motivational tool to a more active lifestyle. There are many pedometers on the market, some more elaborate than others. I have even seen them in the sporting goods section of Target.

For those looking online, a good basic pedometer counts only steps and sells for about $20.00 (Digi-walker by Yamax).

The average model counts steps, distance, and calories and is priced around $30.00.

A top-of-the-line pedometer counts steps, converts to miles, and has a stopwatch and a clock. Businesspeople may be interested in the black leather belt with a pedometer in the buckle made by Walk4Life (Plainfield, Illinois).
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-24-02, 20:05

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

Hey, this sounds like a pretty good idea. I feel like I do a lot of walking around campus. Then again, I feel like I'm moving around a lot when I'm just running a dozen errands in the car.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Allison