Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 12:03
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%
Cool

This is a really nifty tool folks. You just type in your weight and you get back a chart of 158 different activities showing how many calories you burn for whatever length of time you designate. You can then print the chart to tack on the wall or fridge.

http://www.primusweb.com/fitnesspar...te/calculat.htm

HINT: if you just type in 1 minute as the length of time, the tool is really useful for you to use on a daily basis, because you probably don't exercise the exact same amount EVERY time.

The list is quite inclusive, everything from aerobic stepping and golf, to vaccuuming, shopping, gardening, and being a secretary or a firefighter!!

As your weight changes, you can print out a new chart for your new weight.

I think it's great, highly recommended

Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 04-11-00 at 13:13]
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 12:32
Forum Founder

BF:

Well, I just printed out my chart.

No surprise, playing with your kids and feeding & changing diapers burns as many calories as aquafit aerobics and moderate calisthenics.

Sleeping and watching TV burns 1 cal/minute each. Therefore, if I alternate sleeping and TV for 3,500 minutes (2 and1/2 days) I'd lose a whole lb

Computer work and sitting at business meetings burns 2 cal/min. Hmmm - they must be referring to happy and uneventful internet browsing, etc. I'm sure that having your system crash repeatedly or acquiring a virus from a friend's e-mail (especially when it's a forward of a really BAD joke) . . . . that just HAS to quadruple the calories burned! LOL
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 20:01
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%
Lightbulb

In addition the calories burned based on activity, some experts, like Covert Bailey (author of Fit or Fat), state that you body will continute to expend energy AFTER you have finished, and for a couple of hours. The theory is that once you start your engine, it will not shut off immidiately after you stop, will gradually come down. This is why some exercise, like walking, shows up in the tables to be no mor than a bagle's worth of calories, yet walking regularly can burn more fat and calories in the long run than what a table calculation would show.

Wa'il.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 21:21
Forum Founder

BF:
Wink

Hey Wa'il,

Yes, I have borrowed several videos of the "Fit or Fat" series from the local library. Mostly they are great, very positive and upbeat, but Covert Bailey does espouse the ol' lowfat religion. Too bad.

I just think the chart is nifty because it validates peoples' everyday activity. If you're a mom with a couple of kids and low-income, there's no way you can go to a gym or classes. Or a man whose job is sitting in front of a computer all day.

I think it's great to know that each time you take the stairs, each time you rake the leaves yourself instead of getting the kids to do it, is great. Every little bit helps. Plus, as you noted, there is the extended benefit, beyond the actual activity period.

All arrows point toward getting up off that chair and being as active as possible.

luv from Doreen

[Edited by doreen T on 04-11-00 at 22:45]
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 22:32
Forum Founder

Plan: /
Stats: 400/270/240
BF:
Progress: 81%

True, Covert is pro complex carb, but at least he's no calorie counter. But his writings on exercise are very enlightening. Things like no less than 12 minutes at you heart target rate to boost your metabolism, etc.

Wa'il
  #6   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 22:53
Forum Founder

BF:
Smile

Just wish he'd change his theme to fit AND fat.

I have linked his site to my Favourites file
http://www.healthcentral.com/fitorfat/fitorfat.cfm

I am trying to find the study that I recently read showing that breaking up your daily workout into smaller but more frequent episodes is also beneficial. This is good news for someone who can't get to a gym for an hour, or someone like me, with a chronic pain and fatigue disability, where sustained exercise is out of the question.

Thanks for your support and interest, Doreen
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Nov-04-00, 23:05
Forum Founder

Plan: /
Stats: 400/270/240
BF:
Progress: 81%

Quote:
Originally posted by doreen T
I am trying to find the study that I recently read showing that breaking up your daily workout into smaller

I know Covert says somethign similar when he suggests a 12 minute exercise period at target heart rate.

Wa'il
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 15:16

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default activity is the key

You burn twice as many calories walking at a moderate pace than you do sitting in a chair. Every movement counts toward burning calories and increasing fitness. Here are some ways to add activity to your daily routine:

* Walk around the block 10 minutes before your favorite TV program.

* Walk to a place you used to drive.

* Walk your children to the bus stop.

* Mop the kitchen floor.

* Scrub the shower walls.

* Rearrange the furniture around the house.

* When you are at a mall, walk to the far end before returning to your car.

* Cut the grass.

* Play an outdoor sport with your children.

* Sweep the driveway once a week.

* Stand or pace while talking on the phone.

* Go up and down the stairs in your home one extra time.

* Read a magazine while standing for 10 minutes.

* During TV commercials, walk from room to room.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 15:25

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Default Split cardio session

Doreen,

I read that study, and I know that I have it around here somewhere ...

Basically, the premise was that the post-exercise metabolism boost from the split sessions created an additional calorie burn that gave test subjects achieve greater fat loss. It was a minimal difference, but nonetheless it is beneficial.

The same can be said for doing cardio AFTER weights. That study showed a small difference between the two groups, but cardio after weights produced a small difference.

I will look for the studies and see if I can find them. If I can, I will post them.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 18:59

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Integral Plan

I just recently started looking into the low carb plan. A while back my wife and I started doing the ITP Kata. ITP stands for Integral Transformative Practice. The practice is more then dieting and exercise, it is a whole life change. A good website for information is [moderator: link removed, pending answer].

I am looking for good low carb menues and additional exercise programs.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:07
Forum Founder

Hi Jay, welcome aboard.

Can you be more descriptive? I checked your web site and there's no information to elaborate on, except if I order the book. Even if I click on order the book, the link is broken.

I hope I didn't offend you, all new members are welcome, but we're here to share information amongst us, not to throw links.

Hope to hear from you.

Wa'il
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:50

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default ITP

I'm not generally verbose.
I am looking for information on low carb diets and found this site. I haven't really started a low carb diet but I have reduced our carbs, removed sugar and bleached flour from our diets (not an easy task). I hope I find that a low carb "diet" works with ITP without raising cholesterol.

I wanted to mention ITP because we've found it to be a complete program rather then just a diet or exercise program. Since starting the ITP 2+ months ago I've lost 12 pounds, an inch around my waist and feel much better. I'm at 183 and would like to get to 170 by changing my lifestyle rather then just dieting.

#13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-03-01, 19:59
Forum Founder

Default Re: ITP

Quote:
Originally posted by jay
I'm at 183 and would like to get to 170 by changing my lifestyle rather then just dieting.

[/B]

Great, I assure you, the majority of our members follow their plans as a way of life not just as a diet.

We're glad to have you, and feel free to share any information and about your success.

Please note, however, we do not allow commercial links to websites without prior permission. Especially links that do not give adequate information prior to financial commitment of the customer.

Thanks for your understanding,

Wa'il

#14   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 11:51

Plan: CKD (Modified)
Stats: 27%/22%/15% Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 62%

TrainerDan,
I like the one that says to read magazine while standing, I will have to try that.