Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 13:54

Plan: atkins 20
Stats: 127.6/111/110 Female 5' 2"
BF:
Progress: 94%
Default maybe it will look different to fresh eyes?

Hello friends, if you remember me, you will know that I have been working on the last couple of pounds for months now. I seemed to be stuck at 110 and sometimes 112. My goal is 108. I'm very active, work full time, live on small hobby farm, do chores and ride my horses. Some of the advise I got suggested that I was where I was going to be and I should accept it. I am still stuck in fact I have gone up a couple of pounds, so most times I'm 113, 114. I have not changed anything in my routine. I love routine. A typical day consists of the same breakfast and lunch. 2 scrambled eggs with butter, 1 oz cheese, 2 or 3 strips of bacon, Lunch is salad, approx 2 cups, can of water packed tuna with dressing less than 1 carb/serv. Dinner is some sort of protein, chicken, fish, pork rarely beef, a veg, eg green beans, cauliflower, broccoli, butter, salad, I cook with olive oil. Lots of water thru out the day, evening snack, sugar free jello made with some cream, flax muffin in a cup. So, I thought maybe I should switch things up a bit, for one week I left out the flax muffin, I didn't have one everyday, but 4 or 5 times a week. No change. This week I have cut out the bacon and still no change. Can any one see an area of problem here with my diet??? On occasion I will have a hand full of almonds, not everyday, and once in a while 1/2 cup of full fat yougurt, no sugar, plain. I will often have an ounce or two of cheese as a snack when I get home from work. But I never go over 4 ounces a day. I have measured. I'm frustrated, but I still think this is the best way to go, I feel good generally, no cravings, pretty good energy level. I don't want to stop here. Any ideas?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 14:47
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Maybe your body is happy at that weight. Is it really worth agonizing over 4 pounds?
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 16:36

Plan: Low Carb Primal
Stats: 170/135/135 Female 5ft.6in.
BF:
Progress: 100%

You didn't mention what you drink. If you consume sodas, including diet sodas, and alcohol with or without mixers, that could be your 4lbs right there.

Time of eating can be a factor too. I do best if I stop around 6PM. Not always possible, of course, if socializing.

Snacking can also be a trap. Especially at night. I broke a stall by cutting out all snacks.

But your food sounds perfect to me. I eat similar foods, although a flax muffin is a very very rare thing for me, I'd gain if I had one 4 or 5 times a week.

Hope you find a solution. But, if not, I do agree with Nancy that it's not worth stressing over especially since you've already lost a lot of weight and if you are fit and healthy.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Sep-13-14, 17:54

BF:

I will not give up my black coffee, about 3 cups a day, I also drink green tea, black as well, and plain old water, and club soda, no pop or alcohol.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 03:04

Plan: Atkins (DANDR)
Stats: 290/141/130 Female 65.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 93%

You might just have achieved the miracle of low carb eating helping you lose more fat than other diets do so you are at a slimmer size now than you were at that weight previously.

Many low carbers find they can wear their "slim" clothes at a higher weight than they did before lowcarbing so just need to adjust their mind to accept a new scales weight as being their ideal one and call it "goal".
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 06:09

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

The leaner you are, the greater proportion of further weight-loss will be lean, rather than fat. The last five pounds isn't just the hardest to lose, it's the least necessary and the least desirable.
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 07:33

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl
I will not give up my black coffee, about 3 cups a day.

So there IS something you want more than those four pounds

I'm not saying dropping the caffeine will make a difference; some find that is so, others not. But really, dropping those last four pounds means doing some extreme things, the way body builders cut fat for competitions, and that could mess you up a lot more than the four pounds.

Remember, you do weigh more on low carb. The only adjustments needed might be your head.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 08:28

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

You have high energy needs being so active. I wonder if you never made the mental switch to running on fat instead of protein for energy. You might only need 50 g of protein a day at your stature, but you're getting 80-90 g?.

What if for a couple weeks, you

add in butter, cream, olive or coconut oil
take out excess protein leaving 20g max at meals

What change might you see, I wonder.

I agree with the others about the pounds. So close to goal you might cut muscle instead of fat, and you can't know the difference unless you also watch bodyfat percent. Either with a tape measure or go to a gym to get measured.

Last edited by Seejay : Sun, Sep-14-14 at 08:34.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 08:36

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/125/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 136%

It's also worth noting, in our quest for good looks, what Photoshop has been doing to our collective sense of what we "should" look like.

http://fueledbydietcoke.files.wordp.../03/model-1.jpg

The girl on the left could look at herself in the mirror and cry that she still needs to lose those fatty bulges... even though she is certainly a slender person. But if she wants to look like the girl on the right, courtesy of Photoshop... even she never will.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 10:49

BF:

I don't really know how to measure gr. of protein, you think that right now I'm getting 80-90 gr a day. So I should try to cut down on the protein, for eg. one egg for breakfast, 1/2 can of tuna at lunch and a smaller portion at dinner. I have been having about 6 oz of protein at dinner, for example, 6oz chicken breast, or say 3 or 4 thighs baked, skin on. or 5 or 6 oz of ground turkey, etc. you get the idea. And you want me to increase the fat? I have nothing but time, I will try anything to move a bit off this stall. Almost anything, I won't give up my black coffee

Last edited by zoogirl : Sun, Sep-14-14 at 11:12.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 11:25

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoogirl
I don't really know how to measure gr. of protein,
You can log your daily foods into the My P.L.A.N. feature here and it will do the calculations for you.

Then you can experiment with adjusting quantities of foods to see the effect it would make on your grams of protein etc and the ratio of fat/protein/carbs to decide how to "tweak" your intended menus

Just click on the link at the top of the screen to get started. There are many other similar programmes available around the interweb but the one here can be made "public" so others can advise you on possible changes to try and there is a dedicated "help" forum here to get help on how to use it.
http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdis...aysprune=&f=148
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 11:36

BF:

OK, I have to admit, I am a complete computer idiot, I spent almost an entire day trying to figure out MY PLAN, finally gave up in absolute frustration....it was a terrible day, I'd love to use it tho..
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 12:01

BF:

#14   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 12:03

Plan: Optimal Diet
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 8%

Yeah now that you are really fine tuning, it's worth it to learn some way to count so you can monitor grams of protein, carb and fat.

If you don't like the software you can just use labels and get a little scale. They might even have them at the grocery store, I haven't looked in a while.
There might even be (gasp) food count books still available!

I was curious myself about the chicken and grams of protein.

Here's an exercise for you:

Go to My PLAN

On the left, about 2/3 of the way down, click Food Search

In the search box, enter "chicken breast "

In the giant list of results, click "chicken, broilers and fryers, breast, meat only, roasted" long huh LOL

On the chicken page, do "servings 6" X drop down " 1 Ounce (Oz)" and click recalculate.

then you can see how many grams of protein for 6 ounces of chicken breast at dinner.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Sep-14-14, 14:15

BF:

Hey, I think I got it, I got some help from my friends, thanks so much, you guys are amazing I have been working on the plan, please got look and see how I did?