Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 259.0/206/185 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 72%
Default Gave up Atkins for low calorie, so much happier

I used to read this forum for about a year. I did Atkins on and off for about 2 years (under 20 grams carbs). I say on and off because I could not stand eating fat and protein all the time, I never looked forward to eating, got sick of the same food every day and I could not stick to it. I did however lose 30-40 pounds about 3 times, but every damn day I used to to crave sugar like there was no tomorrow and after a while I would end up binging and getting back to my starting weight

Anyway 6 months I switched to a slightly lower calorie than maintenance bodybuilding diet eating 40% protein, 40% healthy carbs and 20% good fats and I feel great. I have lost 40 pounds and do not do any cardio exept for normal daily activity, but I do 3 weights sessions a week, doing all classic compound exercises with heavy weights (3 sets of 8-12 reps) to give a full body workout in minimum time. I have heaps more muscle and I have lost 6 inches off my waist in the past 4 months. I also eat 6 squares of chocolate every day and consume 2 litres of Coke Zero daily. If you want to read an article on sweetners read this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=291569

Meanwhile, my mum and dad have both been busting their asses making Atkins meals every day for the last 3 months, and constantly cheating on their diet with wine, bread etc because they too can not stick to this diet. They have not lost any weight except the standard 4-5kg of water in 3 MONTHS! It is simply not something any sane person can do for their whole life. If you can, good on you, but I couldnt becasue I had no energy, I was always constapated and every day I would want to eat sugar, and put simply I wasnt happy.

I worked out that my maintenance calorie intake was about 3000 caloiries per day, so I cut 500 per day to 2500 calories and I have been dropping weight every week. With Atkins I was always a bit tired but now bounce around like I have ADHD , I have heaps of energy and I feel fantastic. I also look better than at the same weight on Atkins as I have more muscle.

One thing I learned on here is people alwasy end up talking about counting calories on Atkins. Low carb diets work because you are eating less calories, they are still a low calorie diet. Whatever people say to you about this diet, remember this:

If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If you want to lose weight and maintain muscle at the same time, do weight training 2-3 times a week on non consecutive days. Also if think you can do Atkins and eat 5000 calories a day, you will not lose weight, try it if you want

Even though you are eating fatty foods on atkins, you feel full quicker but still eat less calories. I know how Ketosis works, I studied nutrition at university, I was a real beleiver in low carbing for a long time, but at the end of the day, you can eat anything you want, just eat less of it, eat less than you burn and you will lose wieght. SIMPLE

Dont deny yourself, eat sensibly, eat healthy.

If you don't believe me, I don't care, do what you want. Good luck whatever you decide PEACE
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:38

Stats: 305.4/295.8/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 8%

Well good for you.....whats most important is that you are doing what works for you. Congratulations on your loss and Good Luck to you!
  #3   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:39

Plan: Maintenance
Stats: 307/197.1/162 Male 71 inches
BF:
Progress: 103%

I'm glad you found something that worked for you. It had failed for me many times.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:47

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Everyone is different, especially when it comes to tolerance. I can not tolerate being hungry all of the time on a diet such as you suggest. I will gain weight because I will binge. LC works for me because I am not hungry all of the time, eat a vast array of delicious food and have all of the energy in the world. BUT, that's just me. You've found what works for you; that's what all of us have to work out for ourselves.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:49

Stats: 259.0/206/185 Male 6ft
BF:
Progress: 72%

I do also realise that as cavemen (Sorry Christians), before we were even able to harvest grain crops, we ate an eqivilant diet to Atkins.... but we don't actually know what long term effects that diet had on our bodys as the life expectancey would have been around 20 back then.

Also you may be interested in looking up the diet of the Hunza people from the Himalayas. They are considered to be the healthiest people in the world with some people reaching ages of 120 up to 140 years of age (apparently) and having near zero intance of cancer. Their diet consists of around 40% calories from whole grains, 30% calories from vegeables, 15% from fruits, 10% beans, 4% nuts/seeds and only 1% from animal products
  #6   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 12:50

Plan: atkins
Stats: 265/265/200 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 0%

It has been my finding that I still need to watch my calories as well as carbs on Atkins. If I eat alot of meat with 0 carbs I will not lose and even gain
  #7   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:11

Plan: Restart 8/6/18 - 75/20/5
Stats: 196/155.4/130 Female 5'3"
BF:Die MF!
Progress: 62%

Archeological finds indicate that the brains of the meat eaters (skulls) grew larger, while the brains of the vegetarians (skulls) never developed and those people died off. The same (brain development) is true of most animal life.

"cavemen (sorry Christians)"?????
  #8   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:24

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 190/169/140 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 42%

I'm glad you found something that works for you Alastair!

I personally find that when I add in too many carbs, I end up craving more carbs and more calories- high carb, low fat simply does NOT work for me.

Not to be a nitpicker here Alastair, but I'm curious what kinds of foods you were eating when you were doing Atkins. I'm not suggesting you change your eating plan, I'm more "musing about what could have been done differently and if others could learn from your experiences."

Were you eating a lot of sugar alcohols or synthetic sweeteners when you were on Atkins?
  #9   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:50
Registered Member

Plan: who knows
Stats: 337/204/180 Female 67 inches
BF:100% pure
Progress: 85%

Alastair, I am glad you found a plan that works for you. I did what you are doing for about 6 months, lost about 25 pounds, and was continually hungry. However, I know lots of other people who weren't hungry and are quite happy eating that way.

But in all honesty, you should have never expected Atkins to work for you. According to your profile you never read an Atkins book, just cookbooks. Your old posts seem to indicate you didn't really understand Atkins at all. You were eating bars and drinking shakes. You apparently are not really fond of meat. Each of those is an indicator of potential failure on Atkins. I am honestly puzzled why anyone who looks for sauces to hide the taste of meat would choose to try to follow Atkins when some other low carb plans are more easily followed when eating less meat and more of other foods. You knew this was not a plan you would follow for life.

I'm glad you came back and posted, because you are confirming everything we tell people. You must read the book and understand the plan. You should avoid artificial foods like Atkins shakes and bars. And if this is not a plan you can follow for life then you should pick another plan rather than wasting your effort.

Again, I wish you the best on your new eating plan. Success comes to different people in different ways, and you have found success.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:53
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lessliz
But in all honesty, you should have never expected Atkins to work for you. According to your profile you never read an Atkins book, just cookbooks. Your old posts seem to indicate you didn't really understand Atkins at all. You were eating bars and drinking shakes. You apparently are not really fond of meat. Each of those is an indicator of potential failure on Atkins. I am honestly puzzled why anyone who looks for sauces to hide the taste of meat would choose to try to follow Atkins when some other low carb plans are more easily followed when eating less meat and more of other foods. You knew this was not a plan you would follow for life.

Very well said Liz!!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 14:55

Stats: 305.4/295.8/180 Female 5'9
BF:
Progress: 8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by LessLiz
Alastair, I am glad you found a plan that works for you. I did what you are doing for about 6 months, lost about 25 pounds, and was continually hungry. However, I know lots of other people who weren't hungry and are quite happy eating that way.

I'm glad you came back and posted, because you are confirming everything we tell people. You must read the book and understand the plan. You should avoid artificial foods like Atkins shakes and bars. And if this is not a plan you can follow for life then you should pick another plan rather than wasting your effort.

Again, I wish you the best on your new eating plan. Success comes to different people in different ways, and you have found success.

Way to go Liz! Couldnt have said it better myself!
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:11

Stats: 245/156/150 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 94%

I am guilty of bouncing back and forth between Atkins and WW...but to tell you all the truth I am happiest on Atkins....I do well in the beginning with Weight Watchers but I AM a carb addict and the craving for everything high carb gets the better of me....But there are many many WOE's and what works for one, might not work for another.
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:17

Stats: 165/137/110 Female 5 feet
BF:
Progress: 51%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair
I used to read this forum for about a year. I did Atkins on and off for about 2 years (under 20 grams carbs). I say on and off because I could not stand eating fat and protein all the time, I never looked forward to eating, got sick of the same food every day and I could not stick to it. I did however lose 30-40 pounds about 3 times, but every damn day I used to to crave sugar like there was no tomorrow and after a while I would end up binging and getting back to my starting weight

Anyway 6 months I switched to a slightly lower calorie than maintenance bodybuilding diet eating 40% protein, 40% healthy carbs and 20% good fats and I feel great. I have lost 40 pounds and do not do any cardio exept for normal daily activity, but I do 3 weights sessions a week, doing all classic compound exercises with heavy weights (3 sets of 8-12 reps) to give a full body workout in minimum time. I have heaps more muscle and I have lost 6 inches off my waist in the past 4 months. I also eat 6 squares of chocolate every day and consume 2 litres of Coke Zero daily. If you want to read an article on sweetners read this http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=291569

Meanwhile, my mum and dad have both been busting their asses making Atkins meals every day for the last 3 months, and constantly cheating on their diet with wine, bread etc because they too can not stick to this diet. They have not lost any weight except the standard 4-5kg of water in 3 MONTHS! It is simply not something any sane person can do for their whole life. If you can, good on you, but I couldnt becasue I had no energy, I was always constapated and every day I would want to eat sugar, and put simply I wasnt happy.

I worked out that my maintenance calorie intake was about 3000 caloiries per day, so I cut 500 per day to 2500 calories and I have been dropping weight every week. With Atkins I was always a bit tired but now bounce around like I have ADHD , I have heaps of energy and I feel fantastic. I also look better than at the same weight on Atkins as I have more muscle.

One thing I learned on here is people alwasy end up talking about counting calories on Atkins. Low carb diets work because you are eating less calories, they are still a low calorie diet. Whatever people say to you about this diet, remember this:

If you eat less calories than you burn, you will lose weight. If you want to lose weight and maintain muscle at the same time, do weight training 2-3 times a week on non consecutive days. Also if think you can do Atkins and eat 5000 calories a day, you will not lose weight, try it if you want

Even though you are eating fatty foods on atkins, you feel full quicker but still eat less calories. I know how Ketosis works, I studied nutrition at university, I was a real beleiver in low carbing for a long time, but at the end of the day, you can eat anything you want, just eat less of it, eat less than you burn and you will lose wieght. SIMPLE

Dont deny yourself, eat sensibly, eat healthy.

If you don't believe me, I don't care, do what you want. Good luck whatever you decide PEACE

That's too bad atkins didn't work for you and you felt so horrible
I feel amazing =) Way better than when I was trying a low fat/calorie diet
From your post it seems you craved sugar because you would cheat when you were on atkins... You should have lost your cravings for sugar if you stuck to it and if you did crave things there are SO MANY low carb sweet recipes! I'm sure they would have satisfied your sweet tooth
And i'm surprised you got sick of food.. because like i said there are soo many different low carb recipes on not only this site but a lot more

And your parents CHEATED so that's most likely the reason they lost the amount they did in 3 months.. "It is simply not something any sane person can do for their whole life." No one is telling you or your parents to stick to 20 g of carbs a day for your WHOLE LIFE you slowly increase your carb intake when you begin to maintain your goal weight

And you feel full because of the protein your eating
.. you're right people do eat less calories BECAUSE they are feeling full
I do believe atkins is healthier though seeing as how sugar is being cut out
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:18

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair

If only it were that easy. I'm very happy you found something that "works" for you (at least "works" in the sense of losing pounds; not so sure about the health benefits of drinking 2 liters of diet soda a day ... but I digress).

I could point you to numerous studies, all explained by Gary Taubes (and Dr. Mike Eades, etc.), that it's not as simple as calories in/calories out, but I suspect you wouldn't care. Fair enough.

Before I discovered LC eating about 10 years ago, I was trying to lose weight by following an extremely low-fat/high-carb plan. I ate about 1000 calories a day, about 10 grams of fat, the rest complex carbs (COMPLEX carbs, like whole grains and veggies and pasta). I was also doing strenuous step aerobics 5 or more times a week for an hour each.

If it were as simple as calories in/calories out, I should have slimmed down in no time (I followed this plan RELIGIOUSLY for about 5 months).

Guess what. I didn't lose a pound. I know it's hard to believe, and whenever I tell people this, they say I'm lying and that I must have cheated.

I'm not, and I didn't.

Today (because of menopause issues), I'm back to where I started. I've tried and tried losing the pounds by eating low-carb and keeping my calories down to around 1300 - 1500. No dice.

About three weeks ago, I started doing high-fat/high-calorie. Now I'm averaging 1800 - 2100 calories a day.

Guess what. I'm starting to lose the weight.

I'm glad you found a plan you're comfortable with. Just don't diss the rest of us and the plan we follow. It will work if you're following it faithfully. I, too, would like to see what you're eating that would keep you craving sugar all the time. I suspect that if you were drinking that much diet soda while attempting the Atkins plan, that's why you never lost your cravings. Artificial sweeteners can cause sugar cravings for some people just as strong as if they had eaten real sugar.

So, good luck to you. I'm glad you found your way.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, May-18-08, 15:19

Plan: No processed foods
Stats: 247.6/232.8/150 Female 5'5"
BF:yes
Progress: 15%

I don't feel deprived at all on LC. I enjoy the taste of meat, and I usually stick to pretty basic meat and vegetable dishes and occasionally spice it up with some more complex recipes. The only time I feel bad is when I indulge in any LC 'products' (i.e. LC ice cream). I certainly feel that I can eat this way for the rest of my life & it is very maintainable...I'm not gonna be eating less than 20 carbs per day, that is for sure, but I don't really think any plans suggest that as being a maintenance goal. I also have to say that I eat healthier on LC. I don't eat any junk and eat way more veggies & fruits than I ever have before. I feel in control of the way I eat, and my life feels much more manageable when I feel that way. Of course, LC doesn't work for everyone, but it DOES work for me.