Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Daily Low-Carb Support > Protein Power
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 10:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 1/1/1 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 44%
Question Daily percentages

I have read DANDR but after looking around on here I think PP is more for me. I have yet to get a copy of PP. I think I saw on here somewhere that the daily requirements are:

7 - 10% carb, 15 - 25% protein and 65 - 80% fat. Is this correct?

Akiwican
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-11-02, 16:20

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 296/278/179 Female  5'8
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hmmm. I've never figured out the percentages. Protein Power emphasizes eating enough protein -- and that's based on gender and weight. You're advised to eat a certain number of grams at every meal. THEN you limit carbs to less than 40 per day, distributed throughout the day. There isn't a percentage restriction on fats, but advice of which fats to use.

I'm basing this on the Protein Power Lifetime Plan -- a good book to read and reread
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 09:31

Plan: Protein Power Plan
Stats: 245/227/150
BF:
Progress: 19%

From the way I understand it it is 7-10 grams of carbs per meal to a maximum of 40 per day during induction. (this leaves room for snacking if you get hungry)

The carb amounts change after induction to I beleive 15 grams per meal and 50? ot 60? per day (I'd have to check)

Being that meat is pretty much free carbs, I dont even bother checking protein amounts. Also make sure youre taking lots of magnesium and potassium (they are FOR high protein diets) Experiment with cheese, many are no carb, so you can have some at mealtime to balance things out. (Swiss, gouda no carbs!- YUM)

I just havent figured out how long induction is supposed to last - if anyone out there knows, please tell me!!!!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:25

BF:

Thanks for your responses. I know it is 7 - 10 carbs per meal, I was wondering about the daily percentages of carbs for my Fitday tracking. The thread I was looking for was posted again and I re-read it..... thanks.

Akiwican
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 12:29

BF:
Default Magnesium and potassium

I was just wondering if a terrible leg cramp that I had last night might have been because I have not been taking a magnesium and potassium supplement? I dont usually get cramps and it was very painful and scary.

Wow, this WOL makes you so much more aware of the way your body is functioning! I have learnt ALOT from this forum....

Thanks

Akiwican
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 14:55

BF:
Default Vitamin Regime

It could be, on day 2 of our plan BOTH my husband and I were really sore (this was before it was beaten into me that we should be taking vitamins - I guess we thought we were invinsible) The odd thing was that the pain was in "old" injury places for both of us, it was like they were flaring up after being dormant for a few years (It was just too strange to have it happening to both of us on our second day of a new diet) So needless to day I looked into what vits we needed, Calcium, Magnesium and Potassium. From what I under stand the breakdown is as follows:

Cal - 800-1000 mg/day
Pot- 75-100
Mag 450

There is somthing to be aware of if you are on a BP meds I beleive, you will want to check with your pharmacist (I did for us, only because I thought the dosages were really high)

It took us 2 days to clue into taking vitamins so we have been on them for 2 days - I feel fine, my legs dont ache anymore and my jaw will actually move now! My husband hasnt said anything more about it so I guess he is okay now as well.

As far as the percentages, on fit day it will also show your grams, why do you need your percentages? I'm on the PP plan and I cant exceed 40 grams of carbs, I dont know what the other plans would be.

Your percentages would be difficult to determine, mainly because you will have days when you are high in calories and the right amount of carbs and days when you have low cals and right amount of carbs. Because the percentage is a factor of your total caloric intake for that day (Carbs equal 3.125 calories which will remain constant - max 40 carbs/day x 3.125 = 125 calories from carbohydrates) The balance of your calories will change day by day eg 1200 cal today 1200/125=10.41% and on tuesday 1600/125=12.8%
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 15:38

Stats: 278/270/220
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default PP and Induction

I think, although I am not certain, that INDUCTION is really an Atkins term and not a PP or PPFL term. In PP, it talks about going to Phase 2 whenever you get to within 15 - 25% of your lean body mass weight. For me, I started at 275 and want to get to 220ish, so I will stay on the 7-10 gms of carbs per meal until I get to 230 or so. Then you up the carbs and recalc the protein grams per meal to keep the ketosis going but level it out to the point you don't start effecting the muscle mass you have accumulated getting to that point.

Hope that helps.

Smile, Laugh, then go get it done!

Alan
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:03

BF:

Thats interesting that you would say you experienced pain in an old injury spot Elora. My cramp last night was in my calf where I had a bad injury a couple of years ago.

I have always taken vitamins, but will up my Magnesium and Potassium.

Yes Fitday does show grams of carb, fat and protein, but I was just wondering if I was eating in the approx. percentage range that I should. Just seems so weird to be eating all that fat.

It didnt help to see the Oprah show today on heart attacks! They were talking about reducing carbs but also saying that fat was BAD BAD BAD. If you had to reduce carbs and fat what a poor existance it would be...

Akiwican
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 16:27

Stats: 278/270/220
BF:
Progress: 5%
Default PP Phases

I was looking around and I found some great PP info in the forum. Just click on the 'Which Low-Carb plan is right for you?' question on the home page. it has write ups from members of the forum on all the main LC plan out there and even a bunch of antiquated ones and some I didn't even want to really esplore too much (like the eskimo one). The write up for Natruska on PP is VERY WELL WRITTEN.

Smile, Laugh, then go get it done.

Alan
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:07

BF:
Default Bad Little Fat Gram

Akiwican,

Beleive me I know. The first day I had to get over my absolute horror over all the fat that I was eating, then I started giggling like a kid. Imagine - binge on all the pork rinds, cheese, creme, meat you want. I used to be one of those people who always took the low cal, low fat option, never fried ANYTHING! Only ate eggs at a max 1x per week etc.

The Eades have a really good explanation in their book, and as I am an Anthropology buff (Major in Psychology, Minor in Anthro with a focus on Evolutionary Psychology) it amazed me how many papers they referred to in their book that I had actually read. They talk about a tribe in Africa who subsides mainly on animal products (blood, fat, meat, milk) and have lower cholesterols than the average North American. We are definately doing somthing wrong here in our diet.

its the Trans Fats you have to watch for, stay away from margerine and crap like that.

One thing I have found is that although I am eating increased fats, I find it harder to get to my calorie goal (I dont want to be in starvation mode) on other "diets" i have been on I have cried when I got close to my daily limit. The Protein must keep you fuller longer.

Anyway I babbled on long enough
  #11   ^
Old Wed, Mar-13-02, 19:15

BF:
Default OOOOOOHHH!!

I just came across a great link here on the site it has all sorts of newbie stuff, talks alot about fat and such

Hot Links
  #12   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 00:39

Stats: 224/224/150 Female 5ft 5in
BF:
Progress: 0%
Arrow re: daily requirements

Hello!
I just picked up the PP book over the weekend and am loving it! I too, think this plan is going to be perfect for me.
As far as daily requirements, it all depends on the results of your measurements/calculations. It takes a bit of time, but is well worth it and really puts things in perspective.
Do yourself a favor and pick up this book. You will be glad you did and it is very reader friendly.
Good luck!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, Mar-20-02, 10:44

BF:
Default The Book

Yes, I am going to get the book. I tried to get it at the library last night, but it was out already...... no surprise

Akiwican