Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#121   ^
Old Tue, Nov-18-03, 09:50
Registered Member

Plan: Mediterranean based
Stats: 205/190/140 Female 5'7"
BF:44/42/23
Progress: 23%
Default Curves in Prevention Magazine

The latest issue of Prevention magazine has a small article that looks briefly at Curves and what it offers.

Sounds like the perfect place for someone who is getting back into fitness and prefers a very supportive, small gym experience without the hard core-hard body membership that can be intimidating.

They did mention that the machines only offer resistance one way, so this is not a completely balanced approach to strength training...you would likely want to find your feet at Curves, then move on to more challenging venues and routines as you gain fitness and confidence.

But it sounds like a great concept. I have many lady friends who, having reached their 40's and gotten tubby or out of shape, simply cannot face a gym full of ripped 25 year olds. They feel self conscious and out of place, and many are unwilling to really get out there and get all sweaty and out of breath in public. Curves sounds perfect for them.
Sponsored Links
  #122   ^
Old Thu, Apr-22-04, 11:24

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

Iam thinking of joining curves. and doing monthy. until i see if i like it.
Do they help u with dieting to lose wt. or are they more into toning. is they people that help u.with machines and what to do? also i have a heart mentior that tells heart rate. is that good to use there? any tips and what to look for.
  #123   ^
Old Sun, Apr-25-04, 16:19

Plan: Curves
Stats: 222/208/140 Female 5 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress:
Default Curves info

I checked out the Curves place too and found it didn't jive with my schedule either so I bought the book instead. I have a treadmill and weight machines so I just did my own stuff. Down 18 lbs so far.
  #124   ^
Old Mon, Apr-26-04, 17:17
Registered Member

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 261/220/140 Female 5 feet, 6 inches
BF:62%/50%/25%
Progress: 34%

I've just started my 3rd month at Curves. I LOVE it! I've never been successful at gyms, but Curves has such a laid back atmoshphere I feel really comfortable. I also like the fact that I can go and just "jump in" anytime. No waiting for a machine to open up. I've lost 14.5 inches so far!

To those of you disatisfied with the hours, make your needs known! The hours here were extended after seval members requested earlier/later hours.

Batty
  #125   ^
Old Thu, Apr-29-04, 16:59

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 227/227/175 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Quote:
I've lost 14.5 inches so far!

way to go batty. I just joined, in my second week and really enjoying it. I've lost 5 #'s so far. Haven't measured yet of course. Love the comradre and up beat people. The trainers are great too.
  #126   ^
Old Sun, Mar-20-05, 23:50

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 259/259/132 Female 5' 1"
BF:
Progress:

I am a member of Contours Express which is similar to Curves, but its with Weights that you can adjust as you get stronger. I like it alot and I have seen great things already.
  #127   ^
Old Mon, Mar-21-05, 10:55

Plan: my own ~ fasting.
Stats: 178/134/110 Female 4ft.11
BF:
Progress: 65%

Hi.
Just wantedto say That is great you found aexerice gym that works for u.
We all must like what we do. for if not it wont work.
This has to be for life as we all know.
One month at a time. we have the rest of year to see what we can do for self. Good luck to u.And keep us posted to your goals.