Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 07:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 160/146/120
BF:
Progress: 35%
Question 'CURVES' for Women gym

Can anyone who has joined this type of club tell me their experience with 'Curves' for women. One recently opened up where I live and my first impression wasn't good. I went there on a Saturday around 2pm and they were closed. When I noticed the hours on the door it was terrible (Banker's hours at best). So I looked through the glass door to see what it looks like in there and it wasn't very inviting either. So I guess before I spend anytime going back to check into any further, I'd like to hear others' comments. I understand this is a chain..so are they all like this or is the one here just not up to snuff?

The major problem I have with it is the hours...just terrible. I can only go in the evenings or weekends and they don't have hours for either (except Saturday till noon)

There's a really nice gym near us but I would feel so much more comfortable going somewhere that's just women.
Thanks for any help!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Thu, Jan-31-02, 17:42
Registered Member

Stats: 206/183/145 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%
Smile

Hi Rachel. I looked into curves also. Besides the hours not being good for me at all, I was not too thrilled that they had a registration fee of $75.00. I do know some people who are able to go to it, and I have gotten different opinions. One person I know has lost several inches on that program. (30 minute program, i think you spend 30 seconds on each machine). Another person I know didnt like that it was the same work out every time she went. Also, another thing that you should check into before you sign up is if they have a contract or can you go month to month? Have you ever belonged to a gym before? I do not know if curves also offers weight machines or classes, but if youre looking for a variety of exercises, you might want to look at a different gym. Good luck!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 19:07

Plan: atkins/No Dairy
Stats: 194/148/134
BF:
Progress: 77%
Default Curves for Women encourages LC!!

I have been at Curves for over 2 months now.... I have lost 12 inches. They are helping alot of women who would ordinarily not join exercise clubs. Their weight loss classes are all about low carb. It is very encouraging to hear what we believe. I also pass on our web site at every opportunity.
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Feb-02-02, 22:22

Plan: My Own Plan
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 6 ft 2 in
BF:
Progress: 52%

Hey MissElly!
I merged your Curves encourages LC thread here because a discussion had been taking place already about Curves. I tried to PM you but you do not have enough posts yet.

Congrats on the inches lost! Keep up the good work!

Linda
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Feb-04-02, 12:42
Registered Member

Stats: 201/190/130
BF:
Progress: 15%
Smile Curves Member

I've ben a member for about 9 months (off & on) in Reno, NV. It gives me a lot of energy in the morning. I go when they open (here) at 6 a.m. and I'm home by 6:40ish. I like it because; it gets your heart beat going without making you drown in your own sweat, I can look awful and not worry about there being any guys there & I don't really care what the women there think of me at 6 a.m. (side note none of them look like the Cindy Crawfords that I use to dread being in the same room as at other gyms), cheap (I signed up for 1 year automatic withdrawl and it costs me $29 a month and a one time $20 joining fee—note: I did sign a 1 year contract though- I know you can go mo-mo but I’m sure mo-mo could not have been more than $40 at most), quick-- in and out in under 45 min. (workout is 30 but I stretch and do situps after), upbeat music to keep you going, it's 1/4 mile from my house & friendly staff (atleast here).

There are now 2 in Reno but the one I go to is open M-F 6a.m-7p.m. (good hours for me because I will only get my butt to the gym in the morning). He, he, he......gotta laugh, I am a banker so I guess the hours work for me. However, each curves has different hours--depending when they want to be open. The 2 Reno ones are different hours.

They weigh/ measure you once a month to track your progress and you sign in each time you come in to track your own attendance.

The drill is that there are fitness/ light weight machines (that focus on everything from your arms down to your calves) alternated with run/ walk in place stations. Every 15 or 30 (not sure) seconds you switch stations --rotating in a circle (3 circles= 30 minute curves workout). Anywho that’s my f.y.i. on curves. Here are a couple of web sites for you to check out on curves:

http://www.curvesforwomen.com

http://www.ut-biz.com/curvesforwomen/

Amy
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Feb-05-02, 00:12

Plan: Somersizer
Stats: 270/175/165
BF:
Progress: 90%

I've been going to 'Curves' for 3.5 months now. I joined when one opened in our town. I just love it. Being an exercise 'novice', this fit the bill for me. I love the fact that it's only women too!

The hours aren't a problem for me, but they are limited. Ours isn't open Sat or Sun. I go 3x a week and I haven't missed a day.

If you put 100% intensity into the machines and fatigue your muscles, you're going to get a strength training workout. If you don't put intensity into the workout, you'll be getting just a good aerobic workout. On my 3 month anniversary, these were my losses:

bust 2"
waist 5"
abdomen 2.75
hips 1.5
thighs 1
arms 2.5
weight 16#

I'm also Somersizing (11 months) and have lost 74.5# total. *Ü*
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Feb-14-02, 18:52
Registered Member

Stats: 55.1/48.3/25
BF:
Progress: 23%

I joined Curves on Feb 9th and I absolutely LOVE it! I have been looking for what I call a "remedial" program of exercise for years. I have never been able to do the programs at regular gyms and give up on walking since it gets so boring. At Curves, it's just 30 - 40 minutes, keeps me moving to the music and I know I can get thru doing any machine for 35 seconds at a time. I highly recommend Curves to any woman that needs a starting place when it comes to exercise.
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 17:23
Pending Member

Plan: Atkin's
Stats: 208/192/135
BF:
Progress: 22%
Default Curves?

Don't mean to be advertising, but this gym I just joined is great...for the women that is. It's called Curves. I just went today for the second time. I'm excited to see the inches go like others I have talked to about this facility. Anyone else a Curves member? What kind of results are you seeing? Just curious.
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Mar-06-02, 19:06

BF:

Hi Tracern77,
I merged your thread here with all the other Curves threads. As you can see, there are some other members who belong.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Mar-14-02, 06:13
Registered Member

Plan: protein power - modified by self
Stats: 218.5/218.5/137.5 Female 66 inches
BF:41.1
Progress: 0%
Default Curves!!

Thank goodness I found this thread....

I am not a Curves memeber, because there is not one in my area! I am however, thinking of purchasing and opening one here. We already have 2 pro-fitness and 1 gold's gym within a 50 mile radius....but I really REALLY like the idea of a place just for people.....like me! I dont want to be gauggled over...dont want to be judged, want to be with other women who feel the same way. I dont want to life 500LBS a day, dont want to run 85 miles...I want a quick workout for me.

I can tell you this....Each Curves is individually owned and operated, and so the hours will definitely vary per 'shop'. I know that if my husband and I do indeed open one...it will be during the times that people like to work out! i.e., We would be open from 5AM - 9or10PM, for the first few months to see when peak times were...then scale back from there, if need be.

I know that Curves promotes LC, and stresses measurement, not scales. thank goodnes. I would want to have other equipment , i.e., treadmills...if the franchise will allow....it may be a stipulation that you do not....i'll find out more about that when I get my information from the company...I can keep anyone posted that would like to know

My sister has been at a Curve by her for a month, and has lost 4.5 inches...she feels great, loves the quick workout, and quick results....she is like me, and would never set foot in a gym.

Also keep in mind that the 'membership fee' the 75.00, is a lifetime deal...and comes with travel passes, i believe......there are curves all over the place! so if you are on travel, and you can find one....you can go!!
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Apr-14-02, 10:20

Stats: 260/195/130
BF:
Progress: 50%
Default curves for women

hi all
I have been a member of Curves for 1 month, I go 2-3x per week(would go more but the hrs of oper. are terrible for me!)
But, I have seen improvement,8 in. loss in 30 days
As far as being LC friendly, it must depend on which location you go to.The women who owns the one I go to is NOT LC friendly.She is the woman who sarcastically said to me "...you have been doing Atkins for 9 months and you are still walking around?" She is just lucky that I was determined to start an exercise program and I liked Curves.Now I go and mind my own business and try to ignore her, because I WILL have teh last laugh when I reach goal
I did pay a $79 registration fee and pay $29 plus tax($30.74)per month on a one year contract. My one mistake was not noticing how poor the hrs were before signing on(but Fern, I will not let that wall defeat me )
thanx and have a great day!
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Apr-15-02, 12:19
Registered Member

Stats: 220/208/175
BF:
Progress: 27%
Default Curves

I joined CFW last month and I LOVE it, no spandex here....everyone seems cheerful.

I agree I would like different hours (early morning), but I'm doing well stopping on my way home from work -- trying to do 3-5 x a week.

I'm looking forward to my remeasure next week.

I am surprised that LCing was nixed. The founder of Curves for Women support LCing, they even sell a book explaining it and mapping out a plan! But as it has been mentioned, each one is "owned" so they are entitled to their opinions.

I'm sold on Lcing and CFW !!!
  #13   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 16:03

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Thumbs up Curves for Women

Well they opened up a curves for women just a few miles from me...and so I can go there and excerise again!! It's curcit training and the results are really good! Please I now have and excerise buddy who is converting to low-carb! BUT that is not the good news!! The good news is they have a diet plan now & it is

!!!LOW CARB!!!

I asked what the level was and they said they start off as 20 carbs for 2 weeks then max out at about 40 depending on the person. So kinda an atkins thing...no ffiber subtracting though.
Anyway...if you are looking for a work out program were there isn't thongs or more of a dating service feel...this is the place!!

Oh and they are #3 in the forbs {?} 500

Lorraine
  #14   ^
Old Wed, May-01-02, 19:44

BF:

Lorraine-
I am so happy to see you around!!!!!!!!!!!!! I merged your thread with this one so all the Curves posts would stay together. As you can see, there are lots of others you have joined Curves. Can't wait to see you around more!!

take care!
Linda
  #15   ^
Old Thu, May-02-02, 09:05

Plan: CKD
Stats: 245/215/130
BF:
Progress:
Talking Thank you Fern!!!

Glad to see allot of people have found curves! And I'm even happier that they are promoting low carb! I enjoy curves...always have. I just didn't go because it was to far for me. Now it is only 10 minutes instead of 45! Much better.
I do think everyone should try the work out before brushing it off. Its fast...and I never felt like I got into a rut with it. Plus the machines are placed inward so that you can talk to each other...GREAT GIRL TALK! This is great for me since I deal with men all day, which I enjoy! But talking to women...is always needed. Plus now it is a great way to find other low carbers!!
Lorraine