Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Beginner/Low Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 19:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/159/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%
Default %#$(ng Exercise Ball

Granted I am not the most graceful person in the world but I have been thrown by that darn ball more times than I can count. I really want to be friends with my ball but it has taken a very distinct dislike to me.

I am trying to do crunches on it. So the instructions say "lie on your back, abdominals face up and crunch". That's it. Simple. Nuh uh. I ended up on my butt, on my head, once on my face and that last was a slow roll into the fridge.

What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 19:32

Plan: WW
Stats: 155/151/130 Female 5'3
BF:
Progress: 16%

Now that made me LOL!!!!

How do you keep your feet? I usually keep mine close to the ball and arms crossed...maybe the ball has too much air in it? No clue but just wanted to give you my 2cents

Vanya
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Feb-06-06, 19:33

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

Sounds like you're getting lots of exercise with that ball!
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 04:52
muscle bound

Plan: Lyle's PSMF
Stats: 226/150/135 Female 5'7.5"
BF:46/20/sliced
Progress: 84%

Hahahaha! (Sorry!)

It DOES take some serious maneuvering to stay on the ball, which is why it's so useful. Works muscles younever knew you had, ha.

I do weighted crunches on the thing, but I have a trick. I position myself so that my toes grab the raised bottom of my door frame. I grip it for stability as I crunch. You could try wedging your feet under a bedframe, or having someone hold your feet maybe?

Once you get the feel for it, it does get easier.

<still laughing! >
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Feb-07-06, 10:12
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I was thinking along the same line as Belina .. how much air is in it? If the ball is overinflated and hard as a rock, there will be no "give" or flexible support. Also, how big is it, ie the diameter when inflated? If the ball is too big for you, then it will be very difficult for you to maintain proper balance and alignment on it. At 5'3", you should be using a 55 cm ball. The bigger 65 cm balls (like the purple ones sold at Walmart and Canadian Tire) are intended for persons over 5'6" .. although I'm sure they don't indicate this anywhere on the package .

If your ball is a larger one .. just deflate it a bit. When you sit on the ball, your hips and knees should bend at 90° angles with your feet flat on the floor .. like this ..

. Besides making it a better height for you, the softer ball will provide more flexible support under your hips and low back when doing crunches. When the ball is too big, your hips tend to be angled downward in an effort to keep your feet flat on the floor. This means your thighs and low back are doing all the work, not your abs

hth

Doreen
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 07:24

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/159/120 Female 63 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

It is the big Barney one from Canadian Tire. At least that's what i told the kids. They asked if I was trying to hatch Barney and got quite alarmed when I started bouncing. I'm starting to find my balance. Only landed on my head once yesterday. Thank you all for the advice, it really is a handy "little" exercise device.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 08:52

Plan: Generic LC with tweaks
Stats: 204/178/165 Female 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 67%
Default wider feet?

I'm thinking maybe your feet need to be further apart, to make a more stable triangle?
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Feb-08-06, 09:23

Plan: LC
Stats: 157/155/135 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 9%

I agree with doreen - it may be too big for you.