Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Kitchen Talk
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#181   ^
Old Wed, Jan-24-07, 16:15
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Plan: 5% Carbs/75% Fat/20% Prot
Stats: 191/175/150 Female 5'2"
BF:Getting lower
Progress: 39%

Just popping in to post an update.

I made the whole batch into one big round like I normally do but instead of using my pizza stone I piled it in my large cast iron skillet and it came out great. I usually slice it with a pizza cutter and get 8 big slices.

Last time it oozed off my pizza stone not sure why, that's never happened before. With the cast iron skillet there was no sticking and I just plopped it in the pan.
Sponsored Links
  #182   ^
Old Thu, Jan-25-07, 12:11
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'6'
BF:
Progress:

Thanks msdbobby for that info. I tried something like that but it didn't turn out too well. Did you bake it for the same amount of time?
  #183   ^
Old Fri, Jan-26-07, 15:47
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Hi Maxxie,
It came out great in the cast iron skillet. I made cornbread in the skillet for my boys the other day and thought it would work well with this recipe. I made another batch yesterday in it.....perfect.

When I use either the pizza stone or the skillet I bake them both at the same temp & time. I bake it at 300* for 50-55 mins. I think the original recipe says to bake for 35 min. I increased the time because I wasn't making small piles but making one big mound instead.

I have a pic in my gallery if you're interested. I think it's on page 5, it's a pic of one done on my pizza stone.

Yum, yesterday I spread a slice w/ Walden Farms sf chocolate sauce and then topped it with a bit of whipped cream (added a drop of banana extract) and crushed nuts. It was so banana split like
  #184   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 10:52
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 170/170/140 Female 5'6'
BF:
Progress:

OHHHHH that looks so beautiful. Today is day 20 for me on induction and I so need something like this. Going to give it a try right now Thanks so much. I'll let you know how it turns out.
  #185   ^
Old Sat, Jan-27-07, 11:49
~ JUST DO IT!!! ~

Maxxie,
You're going to love it, it's so versatile. Have you thought about starting a journal? Great way to communicate about everything.
  #186   ^
Old Tue, Feb-06-07, 18:08

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/165/140 Female 5'6
BF:
Progress: 58%

Someone asked about what to do with the left over egg yolks.

Egg yolks make a very good thickener for sauces. Two or three yolks beaten lightly with a bit of cream will thicken 1 cup of liquid.

The yolks should never be added directly to the hot sauce. First add a small amount, less than a tablespoon of cream to the eggs and mix well.

Then spoon some of the hot sauce into the egg mixture. This process is called "tempering". Stir the yolk mixture into the rest of the sauce making sure you don't allow the sauce to boil.

You can also freeze them: Egg yolks need to be stabilized before freezing or the thawed product will be pasty and hard to mix. For best results store the yolks pre-measured according to future use.

To stabilize, mix a tiny pinch of salt into each yolk; then the stabilized yolks may be dropped, into the sections of a ice cube tray and frozen.
Remove the egg yolk cubes and store in a freezer zip-lock bag.

Thaw in the refrigerator for about 8 to 10 hours.
  #187   ^
Old Sat, Feb-17-07, 16:34
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

I'm trying this recipe for the first time. I couldn't get the whites to do more then look like milk after 15 min of beating on high. I live at 6000ft altitude. I looked up how to make meringue at high altitude and it said 2 egg whites use 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar along with salt and sugar, 3gg whites use 1/2 tsp cream of tartar. I kept blending I've added 2 full tsps of cream of tartar, no meringue, added little salt and 2tsps of splenda. Still looks like frothy milk. Any ideas on how to convert this to a high altitude recipe?

I threw it all in a bakeable skillet, kind of like corn bread and am baking it. Will update you on how it turns out.

edit: not edible. I read that you should let the eggs whites warm to room temp before beating. Think that would help?

Last edited by nawchem : Sat, Feb-17-07 at 17:57.
  #188   ^
Old Wed, Feb-21-07, 13:07

Plan: mindful/ketogenic-Paleo
Stats: 165/111.8/110 Female 164cm
BF:38%/21%/18%
Progress: 97%

Thanks for sharing this recipe. Never would have come across it via Atkins.

After ridding my body of carbs, I haven't craved bread at all (used to be a bread addict!) but i do miss making the occassional sandwhich.

Althooooough, the first thing I tried was cinnamon and splenda. lol
  #189   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 07:54
Resident Loud Mouth

Plan: Retrying
Stats: 239.2/150.6/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 74%

"I'm trying this recipe for the first time. I couldn't get the whites to do more then look like milk after 15 min of beating on high. I live at 6000ft altitude. I looked up how to make meringue at high altitude and it said 2 egg whites use 1/4 tsp of cream of tartar along with salt and sugar, 3gg whites use 1/2 tsp cream of tartar. I kept blending I've added 2 full tsps of cream of tartar, no meringue, added little salt and 2tsps of splenda. Still looks like frothy milk. Any ideas on how to convert this to a high altitude recipe?

I threw it all in a bakeable skillet, kind of like corn bread and am baking it. Will update you on how it turns out.

edit: not edible. I read that you should let the eggs whites warm to room temp before beating. Think that would help?"

Make sure the egg whites are room temp, as is the bowl and the beaters. Also make sure there is no grease what so ever on any of the dishes. I live in Wyoming, so I have to cook in high altitude all the time, and it is possible to get a meringue. (about 7200 feet here). If you can get your hands on a copper mixing bowl there is a chemical reaction that makes the cream of tartar unnecessary.
  #190   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 08:03
Currently Fascinated

Plan: M&E/Atkins
Stats: 225/150/125 Female 5'2"
BF:Quite Possibly
Progress: 75%

I made this last night, and made a couple of mistakes. First, I only made a half-batch, because I thought if it was awful, it would be a waste of eggs (I also only have one cookie sheet). That in itself wasn't a mistake, but somehow I got 8 pieces out of it so I think I made them too small. They're good, just too small to be functional for anything other than a cinnamon/splenda toast snack (which is still good).

My other mistake was thinking the batter looked a lot like when my mom made lemon meringue pies and popping a fingerful of the mixture into my mouth.

I'll definitely make them again, though, probably tomorrow night. This time I'll try a full batch and make bigger pieces. I'm not sure how else I'll vary it yet. I am not at all a chef and I found this to be very simple, though.
  #191   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 11:00

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I did the last three batches in a stainless steel bowl washed and dried before using and wiped down with vinegar. I cleaned the balloon stainless steel Whisk the same way. I found that it is faster to use the Wisk than to use my electric hand mixer and the white gets higher.
It takes less than 2 minutes.
  #192   ^
Old Thu, Feb-22-07, 13:36

Plan: Controlled carbs
Stats: 218/195/150 Female 62"
BF:
Progress: 34%

I make my RR with onion powder but since everyone insists that the best RR sweet cinnamon and butter is the best, I did and I had no idea that I loved cinnamon so much. Next I will make a batch without the onion spice just for the cinnamon treat. It is sinful even the texture or lack of marries well with the cinnamon butter.
I might use half a splenda next time.
  #193   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 03:10

Plan: Low-Carb
Stats: 209/194/150 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 25%
Default Egg drop soup?

I haven't tried these yet...but I saw that someone asked about egg yolk ideas for the leftover ingredients. Anyone use theirs for egg drop soup? People are always asking for ways to make their egg drop soup thicker and more yellow like the chinese restaurants. I was wondering if using the extra yolks would achieve a more authentic soup. I always liked having egg drop soup when I was sick or had a sore throat, and there are always questions on the board looking for comfort foods while ill.
  #194   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 08:40

Plan: LC/IF and such
Stats: -/-/- Female 60 inches
BF:2 spare tires
Progress: 33%

YUM YUM YUM... All I had to say..
  #195   ^
Old Fri, Mar-02-07, 10:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 222/220/165 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 4%

Here's a dumb question - can't you buy egg whites in the dairy case? Thought it might be a lot easier than separating them.

Sorry if this has been brought up already. I'm going to try this this weekend and I'm not the best egg separator.

Jules