Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 11:04
Registered Member

Plan: Low carb
Stats: 198/198/145 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 0%
Unhappy Hubby BG level fasting 511! Help!

Hello all!!
My wonderful husband was diagnosed last Friday 5/24 with diabetes, (although we were suspect prior, because symptoms were drinking lots of fluids, excessive urination, a bit edgy...etc.

Since that night he was put on Ameryl and Glucophage...and he now tests 2 times a day.

Question is: Dr (who I am pretty angry with since his BG level was already borderline in Feb and could of done something then) stated to go home, don't eat fruits, watch carbs, and eat protein.

I have LC'd it for a long time, lost weight, really liked it, so it looks like "most" of you that are diabetic, also LC it.

How many LC's for a diabetic that isn't really controlled as of yet?

Also, how long before you saw a change in your BG levels?

His Fasting BG level this morning was down to 329, from 511, 6 days ago. Is this good?

Any help would be so appreciated !!
Andi
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-28-02, 14:46

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Andi!

329 is still fairly high for a fasting blood sugar, but at least the readings are moving in the right direction. My average blood sugar was 250 when I started low carbing and within 2 weeks they were back in the normal ranges consistantly again although I can say that I felt better almost immediately. I was also taking medication at the time, so that helped I'm sure. Depending on what low carb plan you follow, your hubby's carb level should be between 20 and 30 grams a day right now and should not go over 30 until he gets GOOD control over his blood sugars for a sustained period of time and is at the weight that he wishes to be at (I'm still not there and keeping my daily carbs at 30 grams). I also suggest that you break up his carb allowance something like 6 grams for breakfast, 12 for lunch and 12 for dinner with no carb snacks in-between and no fruit at all right now. When you are diabetic, your body is less able handle carbs in the morning hours than it is the rest of the day. I would also highly recommend the book Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution. This is the plan that finally allowed me to get control over my rising blood sugars. Good luck and let us know how your hubby is doing!
  #3   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 03:08

Plan: Bernstein/Atkins
Stats: 210/180/125
BF:
Progress: 35%

The folks over on the LowCarb forum recommended Dr.Bernstein's Diabetes Solution to me when I was diagnosed in July. I pretty much follow his advice, but 'update' my info using Atkins, Protein Power, and Schwarzbein advice. I constantly scour the internet for info and help/advice from the BB's out there. Everyone has been great! I've found my improvement is very slow, but I've been able to come off Glucotrol and just manage it with Glucophage. My goal is to manage it without any meds at all, eventually. BTW, what is Ameryl? I couldn't find it on the internet, nor in the PDR....
  #4   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 04:34

Plan: Protein Power Lifeplan; D
Stats: 197.0/162.0/150 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 74%
Default Be patient

Hi Andi,

It sounds like hubby's bg is going in the right direction--down! Good work for both of you and how lucky you are to have a physician who doesn't blindly follow the "party line" of low fat/high carb for diabetes. I agree that the doc should have told him to watch carbs earlier...wonder why he didn't

Your hubby has come a long way in just 6 days, almost 200 points! Make sure to find a copy of Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution for good, sound advice on diabetes control. The explanations he gives are great and it's so helpful to be able to understand what's happening in the diabetic body and why.

Especially make sure to read about the "dawn phenomenon" which is higher blood sugar in the morning. The short explanation is that in some people, the liver deactivates all the insulin in the body 6-10 hours after you go to bed. It may begin an hour before you awaken and continue for 2-3 hours. It one of the things that is happening in my body too.

Good Luck!
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-30-02, 16:13

BF:

PineSlayer...

Yup...I was experiencing the "dawn phenomenon" when I first started low carbing, but it has since cleared up and my morning blood sugars are usually a bit lower than my bedtime readings now. This WOL WORKS for diabetes. It may take some people longer than others to respond to low carb with their blood sugars being back in the normal ranges, but they should start heading that way immediately. Always work with your doctor as you go as your medications will need to be adjusted as your blood sugars drop...don't attempt to do that on your own (I say this for everyone reading this, not just to you).
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 12:58
Registered Member

BF:
Smile

Thank you all for the positive replies!! Things are "rolling" around here, blood sugar for hubby is down to 100 (not fasting but 2 hrs post eating a meal) on this past Saturday!! YEA!! He has been so good about low carbing, and his doc did up his dose of meds too.
I also purchased for him, as you suggested, "Type 2 Diabetes - The First Year" and Dr Bernstein's Diabetic Solution. He dove right into the Type 2 one, with the other to follow.
Thanks again for your help everyone!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-04-02, 14:47

BF:

Apena....

That is very good news about your hubby's blood sugars ideed! To achieve normal readings so quickly is quite an accomplishment as well as a testament to how well this WOE works for diabetics (or how much determination your DH has, or both) and I'm sure you're relieved to see him doing so well. Keep an eye on his blood sugars as his medication will likely need to be adjusted back down again in the near future. If they start dropping too low, call his doctor immediately. Keep up the great work and let us know how he continues to do!
  #8   ^
Old Fri, Jun-28-02, 21:59

Plan: mix of Schwarzbein & PP;
Stats: 250/213/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Don't know!
Progress: 31%
Default Great going!

What a wonderful story, Apena. I am sure that you and your husband have a lot to be proud of. You are not diddling around; you are getting down to business at once. That is a superb response.

Continue to read as much as you can; get a thorough education, and as one who spent almost three years diddling around with the ADA diet, with mediterranean diets, and with thinking that as long as I took my medication, I could supplement it with liberal doses of Ben and Jerry's, I can really say that it's a great idea to get on the low-carb plan as quickly as you can. I have started to measure my blood sugars several times a day and since becoming low-carb, they have been fantastic--all in the 80s and 90s.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jul-01-02, 09:05
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thanks for your reply!

Your thoughtful replies were appreciated! Together we have worked to get the BG level down to 110 - and during the days - it dips to 70-80. So now we need to keep checking because it dipped to 51 after walking 5 miles. Dennis has incorporated the LCarb diet into his life, and cannot believe how he doesn't feel hungry or miss the carbs.
You all are champs, and certainly I and my husband appreciate each and every thought sent our way!
Hope all is well with all!! ~Andi~