Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Dr.Bernstein & Diabetes
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 12:14
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 350/334.5/170
BF:
Progress: 9%
Unhappy Overnight highs

I need to know if anyone has experienced this or might know what is causing it or what I can do about it.

While I realize my blood sugar isn't under perfect control, it is doing SOOOO much better since I started this WOL in Feb. I used to be between 200-300 alllll the time when I'd test. And this was while I was doing the diabetic diet.

Anyway, the problem now is... I will generally be around 130-150 during the day. I eat my last meal between 6 and 7 and NEVER eat after 8 PM. I try NOT to eat any carbs with my last meal. My blood sugar is generally about 130-140 before I eat.

By the time 10 PM comes around I am always up to 170 or higher. When I wake in the morning I am always between 170-190 and more recently over 200. I always thought this was dawn phenomenon but I decided to try something. I got up 3 times during the night and took my blood, it was NEVER below 170 at any point.
WHY???? I take 1000 mg Metformin in the AM and 1000 again at 10 PM when I go to bed. I only eat about 3% of my total calories from carbs in the form of veggies.

I don't want to go back on AVANDIA or any of those other drugs that make me gain weight and keep me from losing.
Has anyone else experienced this or know why this could be happening???

Thanks in advance for your help!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Apr-30-02, 17:21

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi JJHend!

I've experienced this also although not to that degree. For several weeks (at least) after starting low carbing, my morning blood sugars were higher than my bedtime. I rarely experience that now and I've been low carbing for about a year, although I have noted that things like stress, injury and even my TOM affect my blood sugars negatively. I do stretch my carbs out over the day having 6 grams for breakfast, 12 for lunch and 12 for dinner. Have you read Dr. Bernstein's Diabetes Solution? You may find it a great source of information if you haven't. Well worth buying!