Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 14:20

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%
Default Effects of 8-hour time restricted feeding on body weight and metabolic disease risk f

Research Article
https://content.iospress.com/articl...aging/nha170036

easy read
https://today.uic.edu/daily-fasting...for-weight-loss

Daily fasting is an effective tool to reduce weight and lower blood pressure, according to a new study published by University of Illinois at Chicago researchers in the journal Nutrition and Healthy Aging.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 15:14

Plan: Atkins & IF / TRE
Stats: 000/000/000 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 97%

That is hot off the presses.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-18, 16:37

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

First time I heard of this sort of fasting I sort of rolled my eyes. Pretty normal to eat breakfast at eight, supper at five, that's already a 15 hour fast. But then when you see that a lot of people do see that as sort of a restriction, it's a bit of an eye opener, it might be more of a normalization of feeding patterns than restrictive.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 10:58

Plan: Paleoish/Keto
Stats: 225/167/175 Male 71.5 inches
BF:18%
Progress: 116%

It is a little concerning that "All other measures, including fat mass, insulin resistance and cholesterol, were similar to the control group." I would have expected there to have been more fat loss.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 11:33

Plan: My own plan
Stats: 220/126/132 Male 65in
BF:
Progress: 107%

These are health/fasting related research.

Large Study Finds Nightly Fasting Helps Reduce Breast Cancer Recurrence
https://www.curetoday.com/articles/...ncer-recurrence

https://jamanetwork.com/journals/ja...article/2506710

Prolonged Nightly Fasting and Breast Cancer Prognosis
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4982776/

Just a reminder, "law of physic" still applies here. If one eats enough kcal in that one meal per day, one will not lose weight.
BUT one can still reap the benefit of "daily fasting." This is good news for cancer survivors who want to keep steady weight.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-18, 22:00
Grease is the word!

Plan: PSMF/IF
Stats: 236/181/180 Male 72 inches
BF:disappearing!
Progress: 98%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dodger
It is a little concerning that "All other measures, including fat mass, insulin resistance and cholesterol, were similar to the control group." I would have expected there to have been more fat loss.
Quote:
Between the hours of 10 a.m. and 6 p.m. the dieters could eat any type and quantity of food they desired, but for the remaining 16 hours they could only drink water or calorie-free beverages.
Well it's not how much you eat, but what you eat. Can't gain on a big steak and a stick of butter a day, no matter the calories. I've tried it.

An 8-hour eating window? That's pretty weak as a fast, but better than grazing all day I guess.

Last edited by mike_d : Wed, Jun-20-18 at 22:08.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 09:23

Plan: LCHF/IF
Stats: 268.8/242.4/140 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike_d
Well it's not how much you eat, but what you eat. Can't gain on a big steak and a stick of butter a day, no matter the calories. I've tried it.

An 8-hour eating window? That's pretty weak as a fast, but better than grazing all day I guess.

The 16 hours of fasting gives them about 10 hours of autophagy and low insulin release, so that's more than most people get, at least.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jun-21-18, 22:37
Grease is the word!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzyQ0902
The 16 hours of fasting gives them about 10 hours of autophagy and low insulin release, so that's more than most people get, at least.
Not sure how much benefit. I read: Short fasts do not accomplish much autophagy, mitophagy or recycling of senescent cells. AMPK (activated protein kinase) is required. Just as the autophagy ramps up, the fast is over, ending the cell clean-up process. However, long-term traditional fasts are not required. One to two days of fasting accomplishes the most.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 04:54

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

Probably depends. On a more ketogenic diet, I'd guess that my liver glycogen is probably lower than when I was eating a bit more protein and carbs. I'm already on a diet designed to be sort of fasting-mimicking, and by experience, it doesn't take as long to feel a fasting "euphoria" etc. from a more ketogenic base as it did when I was a bit less ketogenic.
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Jun-22-18, 20:21
Grease is the word!

I'd like to see the study repeated where the same subjects ate ad libitum, but low-carb. A type of table d'hôte if you will.

Doubt that will ever happen, due to participants compliance issues or study dropouts and it being wildly unconventional.