Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 02:49

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I hope it works for you. Lucky you to be such a carnivore - it makes low-carbing so much easier. I don't enjoy eating too much meat and I adore veggies. My first Atkins induction I ate what I wanted from his lists and the only meat/fish I ate was a chicken breast and 2 rashers of bacon in the first week - everything else was vegetarian. Over time, the diet radically changed my eating habits though, and I think I ended up with a much healthier balanced diet. I still adore veggies though and sometimes find it hard to contain myself. Last night I made a gorgeous chicken and vegetable curry, and what with the onion, squash, tomatoes, cream and chickpeas, (which were added as a result of an earnest plea by my boyfriend) it was just too high in the carbs, so I was up snacking this morning at 5am. Needless to say, when I eat too many carbs, I do not experiences whooshes, apart from the inflation of my stomach - I look pregnant today, euch, lol.

Have a nice day.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 09:44

Plan: No Whites/No Grains
Stats: 275/250/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggsie
Hi there. Just thought I would share my experience with you. It happened by accident but I have been keeping track of it because I find it interesting. I too have been LCing and I happened to have a bad day (ended up CRAVING a cheeseburger) well, this bad day turned into a bad weekend and I totally blew it. I went back to low carb on that Monday and I weighed myself on Thursday. Funny thing, I was shocked to see that I had lost an additional 3 pounds from the week before. It's almost like after having carbs for those few days, my body was shocked when I cut them out again and I had a whoosh of weight loss. I am going to allow myself one meal a week of anything I want and see what my body does. I have adapted to this way of eating and can truly see it as something I can stick to for life. It is nice however to look forward to a nice dinner once a week with my boyfriend. As I said, I'm going to keep track of what my body does when I do this.

Your reply is interesting, but I am just posting my two cents here, so don't be offended. I think as long as you or me or anyone continues to think of having all the carbs they want as "a nice meal" we are sunk. This has got to become your new way of life and eating and a major shift in thinking has to take place. Seriously, I know people, my dad included, who are so diabetic that they develop kidney disease, yet they still pig out on anything because they know they can just get their medication increased as more problems occur. How totally sick is that? Re-introducing bad carbohydrates into the diet only do one thing, they instantly start the addiction process much akin to an alcoholic taking that first drink and the assaults get worse the older you get. It's the yo-yoing process of back and forth that causes permanent metabolic damage to the body, so why chance it.

Good luck to you.
  #18   ^
Old Sun, Sep-25-11, 09:51

Stats: 167/150.4/130 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

Woohoo down to 153.3 Yahoo!!!!
  #19   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 07:28

Plan: Depends on the Day
Stats: 221/169.6/145 Female 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 68%

I did the stupid thing yesterday, and ate a breaded tenderloin with a few fries. Is was so darn good, and stupid. I was fine last night, no major hunger or cravings, but I got up this morning with HC cravings. I wanted pizza and ice-cream. I almost put a pizza in the oven at 7am! Had some bacon and trying to stay busy to get threw this.

The yo-yo cycle can be a really tough road. I should have known better.
  #20   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 07:50

BF:

Hey don't feel so bad. I decided to have several gingertini's last night and went back up to 154. NO ALCOHOL, DURING INDUCTION. Wahwahwah. Back at it today. No drinking!!!!
  #21   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 10:54
Every day is day one

Plan: AtkinsMaintenance/IF
Stats: 185/145/155 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 133%

Personally, if it works for you, who am I to say....

Do me a favor....

Since this is NOT Atkins, please take Atkins out of your profile. All of us who do follow Atkins would really appreciate that you DO NOT tell people that you're following Atkins. This is YOUR plan, The Jetgemini Plan. I'd hate for you to tell people you were following Atkins, and other people followed YOUR plan and it did not work for them, and then blame that Atkins didn't work. Atkins does work, if you follow the plan.

Good luck to you.

Progress not perfection.

Lisa
  #22   ^
Old Mon, Sep-26-11, 12:48

BF:

Alcohol is not for any kind of induction menu. The body has to get rid of the alcohol before it can go back to burning fat, and most people will get a small, temporary weight gain after drinking.

It is your plan, if you still want to have high carb meals or days, good luck. I believe your going to have a he** of a time getting back on plan each time and controlling the cravings, but maybe you don't have those troubles?

Here's to you!!
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 07:11

BF:

Wow 154 but I made a beginners error yesterday and ate grapes. NOT a good low carb choice!
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 07:14

BF:

PS. Does anyone know how I go about posting my picture to my name. I have uploaded it and it is in the gallery but never shows up when I post HELP!!!!
  #25   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 07:21

BF:

ooh! grapes! Love'em, love'em, love'em! Can't have'em though, can't stop with 5, and they are all sugar, knock you out of ketosis if you arn't carefull.

Its all a learning experiance
  #26   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 09:16

Plan: Keto
Stats: 279/206/200 Male 6'
BF:
Progress: 92%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jetgemini
PS. Does anyone know how I go about posting my picture to my name. I have uploaded it and it is in the gallery but never shows up when I post HELP!!!!

The very first thing on the blue bar directly down from the "Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets and Forums & Support (etc)" says "User CP". Select that and go into the "Edit Avatar" link on the left of your screen. You should be able to manage from there =)

Btw you should definitely take Atkins out of your profile.
  #27   ^
Old Tue, Sep-27-11, 09:47

Plan: No Whites/No Grains
Stats: 275/250/165 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 23%

Quote:
Wow 154 but I made a beginners error yesterday and ate grapes. NOT a good low carb choice!

It looks like you have 22 pounds to lose? In this forum that is not a lot, compared to some people having to lose over a hundred or more. Do you think that perhaps because you don't have much to lose you may be thinking you can be looser with a plan or make up your own and wing it? Have you read the Atkins book at all? What you are doing from your posts is not at all Atkins and it may mislead another New Member since you posted this in the New Member forum, so you should revise your profile and take out Atkins.
  #28   ^
Old Wed, Sep-28-11, 17:51

BF:

You know you guys are amazing that you are so into what works for you that you have no idea that something else might work for a different person but I appreciate what you have accomplished because you are all at your goal weight and I am not so maybe you are all right and I am wrong.
  #29   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 02:04

Stats: 217/145/143 Female 171cm
BF:
Progress: 97%

I think that the main problem people are having is that you have described your diet plan as Atkins, when it is not Atkins. The Atkins diet has been totally unfairly rubbished in the media and has a very bad reputation, because people make up their own crash diet, or eat fried meat and eggs for months and call it Atkins. The bad press has stopped many people who'd really have benefited from trying the diet. I don't think I am being melodramatic in saying that the diet might have saved the lives of countless people who never gave it a chance. I can only speak for myself in saying that I myself had been influenced by the bad press, and only started Atkins as a result of a doctor's advice, and it is such an enormous shame that I hadn't tried it years before, because it would have made such a major difference to my quality of life for years. I also did my body a lot of harm trying to keep the weight off before discovering Atkins, and because I was not physically robust, the increased weight put a strain on my heart. I think those years of added weight will have shortened my life expectancy, and I don't know if I can reverse the damage yet. Time will tell.

I agree with everyone else that it is not accurate to describe your diet plan as Atkins. You are naturally entitled to use any plan, including your own, but it's more accurate to describe it as "my own plan". Please don't tell people that you are doing the "Atkins" diet. The Atkins diet is a very, very detailed diet plan which was designed by a prominent doctor. I believe he was originally a cardiologist. The book is marvelous, and for those of us who really embraced his advice, and have found it to work, we feel quite passionate and evangelical about the life-changing results we have experienced. Dr. Atkins devoted his life to his work, and we feel an enormous debt of gratitude towards him. Of course, there are different ways to approach low-carb, and plenty of other good diet plans, but Dr. Atkins' diet is a particular diet plan, not a diet which just generally restricted carbs.

Last edited by Kirsteen : Thu, Sep-29-11 at 02:14.
  #30   ^
Old Thu, Sep-29-11, 04:27

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
You know you guys are amazing that you are so into what works for you that you have no idea that something else might work for a different person but I appreciate what you have accomplished because you are all at your goal weight and I am not so maybe you are all right and I am wrong.

You came asking for advice. You got it. One of those pieces of advice was that "your plan" is not new; it is something we see other people trying with very little success. And you already aren't keeping the carbs corralled into your weekly "cheat meal" because you are eating grapes.

Yet you say you are doing Atkins. And when all these carbs stop your weight loss, you will go around saying "I tried Atkins and it didn't work!" which very much annoys people who actually do Atkins and it does work.

Once you have worked out all the kinks in your Way of Eating and write your book, then it might be a plan! Right now, it's a wish.

In return, I wish you luck.