Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Countdowns, Buddies & Challenges
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#46   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 01:56

Plan: LC RPAH/FailSafe
Stats: 137/136/136 Female 67"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi, Cshepard, thanks for posting. It's nice to have your company.

I eat meat, fish, egg yolks, gelatin, broth, and cream in various forms as my standard fare. Tea and a few herbs, too.

Hope your day is starting nicely.

Last edited by SilverEm : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 03:38.
Sponsored Links
  #47   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 01:57

BF:

duplicate post., oops

Last edited by SilverEm : Thu, Jun-11-15 at 02:18.
  #48   ^
Old Thu, Jun-11-15, 13:23

Plan: LC
Stats: 193/159.9/125 Female 158
BF:
Progress: 49%

Hello,

I am so happy to see a meat and egg thread here. I did it very successfully back in 2006, went down to 123, kept it off for a few years but three pregnancies and two babies later, here I am at 179.

I am still nursing so I am not doing the meat and egg fast I did years ago but for now I am trying to stay VLC. I am on day 3, except the watermelon I had this morning, I woke up with palpitations and shaky, checked my blood sugar, it was 53! I thought I was going to faint, I have absolutely zero experience with this so I panicked, opened the fridge and ate as much watermelon as I could, checked blood sugar again and again, it went up pretty quickly. I not diabetic, I have a machine because I like to check every once in a while and checked it throughout the pregnancies to avoid the glucose tolerance test. It was always stable and normal.

Anyway, so today I had a two egg omelet with feta cheese, some whipping cream, later 3/4 avocado and a few walnuts, after eating lots of watermelon that is.

Does anyone here have any experience with low blood sugar after starting LC, VLC or meat and egg?
  #49   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 02:22

BF:

Hi, Duchesse. What a nice username you picked! Welcome. You might want to ask in the Parenting and Pregnancy sub-forum about your food plan, blood sugar, and being pregnant. The first thread is on ketosis and pregnancy. Perhaps someone there will have an answer that fits your situation.

In case you are counting carbs, one cup of watermelon, according to the My Plan database here, is 11.5 grams of carbs. Here is the link.

Fruit is a fast-acting carbohydrate. It is possible your blood sugar went way up before it dropped.

I don't have any experience with people eating fruit on a very low carb diet. Sorry, perhaps the folks in the parenting and pregnancy forum can help you.
  #50   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 07:07

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
Hi, Duchesse. What a nice username you picked! Welcome. You might want to ask in the Parenting and Pregnancy sub-forum about your food plan, blood sugar, and being pregnant. The first thread is on ketosis and pregnancy. Perhaps someone there will have an answer that fits your situation.

In case you are counting carbs, one cup of watermelon, according to the My Plan database here, is 11.5 grams of carbs. Here is the link.

Fruit is a fast-acting carbohydrate. It is possible your blood sugar went way up before it dropped.

I don't have any experience with people eating fruit on a very low carb diet. Sorry, perhaps the folks in the parenting and pregnancy forum can help you.

Thank you Silverem, I know it's a little tricky with the breastfeeding but my baby is almost 11 months, I think I'll be stopping when he turns one, until then I am planning to do whatever I can to lose a few pounds...

When I did meat/egg years ago and that's how I lost most of the weight, I only ate eggs, meat, fish, chicken, one coffee with heavy cream in the morning and occasionally some cheese, maybe once or twice a week, I felt great, maybe I was a little tired the first few days but other than that I never felt anything like yesterday.

Oh and I ate the watermelon when I saw my blood sugar at 53 just a few minutes after I woke up, I panicked and thought it would help. I don't know a whole lot about the blood sugar numbers but from what I can tell, below 70 is very low and anything around 50 or lower is considered 'dangerously low'.
  #51   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 07:40

BF:

Hi, Duchesse. I don't know about LC and breastfeeding. Please do ask in the sub-forum of ladies who know about such things. You might do some experiments, too, with small amounts of carbs, and how much that raises your blood sugar. You might only need 2-4 grams of carbs to have your blood sugar be at approx. 75. I have read that young people tend to have normal blood sugars of 75, older people at 83. You can check Dr. Richard Bernstein's site. He is the expert.

I think it's great that you are breastfeeding. It gives the children so much. Some breastfeed much longer than one year.

Have you read Amber Wilcox-O'Hearn's blog, Empirica? She has children, went from VLC to ZC, and breastfed her children. Might be a help to you. Kelly Hogan also has a nice blog called My Zero Carb Life. She talks about how she went from VLC to ZC, and she has children.

Hope your morning is going nicely.
  #52   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 12:40

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverEm
Hi, Duchesse. I don't know about LC and breastfeeding. Please do ask in the sub-forum of ladies who know about such things. You might do some experiments, too, with small amounts of carbs, and how much that raises your blood sugar. You might only need 2-4 grams of carbs to have your blood sugar be at approx. 75. I have read that young people tend to have normal blood sugars of 75, older people at 83. You can check Dr. Richard Bernstein's site. He is the expert.

I think it's great that you are breastfeeding. It gives the children so much. Some breastfeed much longer than one year.

Have you read Amber Wilcox-O'Hearn's blog, Empirica? She has children, went from VLC to ZC, and breastfed her children. Might be a help to you. Kelly Hogan also has a nice blog called My Zero Carb Life. She talks about how she went from VLC to ZC, and she has children.

Hope your morning is going nicely.

Thank you for all the information SilveEm, I will be checking out the blogs in a minute, unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information out there about ketosis and pregnancy/breastfeeding.

I nursed my daughter for 16 months, with this little one too my goal was to avoid formula and we made it to the almost 1 year mark, if I am convinced that it's safe to nurse while in ketosis I would love to finally start losing some weight while nursing him beyond 12 months.

Thanks again for taking the time, I really appreciate it.
  #53   ^
Old Fri, Jun-12-15, 13:54

BF:

Hi, Duchesse. If you don't find out what you would like to know here at the forum, you can contact Amber and Kelly through their blogs. I wish you success.