Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Turtle Club
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 04:38

Plan: -
Stats: 184/171/163 Male 165 cm
BF:29%/26.6%/20%
Progress: 62%
Lightbulb I think I found the key why we are slow losers

I think the key is the rate by which the lever produces glucose (gluconeogenesis) and the glucose uptake by body tissues. I think the tissues still utilize blood glucose by the insulin-independent mechanism; therefore the lever is always under pressure to synthesize more glucose starting with proteins specially dietary proteins. This means that we burn proteins not fats.

The question is;
1- How to minimize tissues' insulin-independent glucose uptake
2- How to decrease the hepatic production of glucose (partial inhibition of
the gluconeogenesis process)

Although the second point is more dangerous due to the risk of hypoglycemia (low blood glucose level), I have some suggestions for it. Metformine, an anti-diabetic drug, and anabolics (androgenic hormones that build muscles and decrease their breakdown) are effective in decreasing the gluconeogenesis rate, but, unfortunately, they increase glucose uptake and, consequently, lower the blood glucose level.

Obviously, I can not say these drugs are safe, but is there any other way to understand why we are slow losers and to fix this problem?

I am looking forward to know your opinions.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Aug-06-05, 22:48
Forum Moderator

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 235/135/135 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hullo there,

I find your post a little confusing.

First of all, I'd be interested to know which low carb plan you are following, yet you do not disclose this, nor do you appear to have read any books on low carbing.

If one is following a published low carb plan, there is little problem with gluconeogenesis. Gluconeogenesis merely provides the small amount of glucose needed by some of our organs that cannot be provided if the intake of carbohydrates is too low.

Suggesting the use of an anti-diabetic drug for non-diabetics is, in my opinion, foolish at the very least, and possibly dangerous. It is certainly unnecessary.

The other drugs you mention, anabolic steroids, are illegal in most countries, and therefore we ask you not to discuss these as per our forum rules.

Rosebud
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Aug-08-05, 01:00

Smile take it easy

Thank you for your reply. Despite the unexpected strict criticism taking into consideration that this was my first post, it was a useful reply.

Regarding the mentioned drugs, I did not find them such dangerous. Metformin can be used in weight losing regimes (Goodman & Gillman Pharmacology), in addition, Nandrolone, a well-known anabolic steroid, is available legally in my country, therefore I do not find my post such a deliberate crime.

Actually I knew low-carbohydrate diet by a published paper, and what I do is just eating no carbohydrates and a lot of proteins and some fats in addition to using acetone-checking strips and doing some exercises. The mane information resource for me is the Internet. However, I find it simple and really works.

Anyway, the question which is still unanswered is; Are our bodies still consume blood glucose, even while in low levels, instead of using fatty acids?

To be clear, I should mention first that body tissues are able to absorb glucose from the blood stream even in very low Insulin-Glucagon ratio, it is an insulin-independent mechanism. I such a case, we are burning glucose not fat and the liver is producing more and more glucose consuming our dietary proteins. The result is a slow loser.

Certainly, it is not a scientific fact, it is just a hypothesis that needs evidence, and this was my main aim of posting my thread, to ask for your opinions about this claim, is it true, false or still need research. And in case true, what can we do to minimize this undesirable glucose consumption?

Thank you for your help.
  #4   ^
Old Thu, Aug-18-05, 05:43

Plan: Ketogenic/85-90%Carnivore
Stats: 298/206/168 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 71%

Many people are prescribed Metformin that are not diabetic.

It's use in insulin resistance and in women with PCOS has been helpful to many.

Also I do believe that androgen hormones play a part in obesity noted in several research articles.

My physician has me on Metformin and spirolactone and I am not diabetic.

I am confused at the moderator's harse reply to the original poster. I have read and reread his post and can not see anything out of line here.

I find his questions thought provoking.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Aug-21-05, 05:01

Thank you Jiggy for your honest post, it is nice to find another person thinks that I am not guilty.

However, after all these views, no one has answered my question. May be I asked the wrong question or made it in the wrong form.

Simply I think our bodies do not use fats as a fuel, they still use glucose that is synthesized from proteins. I am afraid to say that our bodies burn alimentary proteins instead of stored fats, and that is why we are slow losers.

How can we prove/refute this theory? Then what can we do to minimize this process in order to direct our bodies to burn stored fats?

Please let me know if you have useful information regarding this matter.

Your suggestions are welcome.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Aug-28-05, 18:28
Registered Member

Plan: No gluten, CAD
Stats: 196.0/158.5/149.0 Female 62
BF:36/29.0/27.3
Progress: 80%

This might not be where you were going with this but I would think the excessive glucose production from the liver would be triggered by low blood sugar caused by high insulin levels. So maybe the solution would be improving insulin sensitivity to turn off the gluconeogenesis pump. Is that how metformin works? I thought chromium supplementation would help this.

Exercise often leads to lowblood sugar for me so I think it might be a reverse of the problem you described. I find eating more protein and frequently is a help for the problem.
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-09-06, 13:44

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 282/209/120 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 45%

The liver's production of glucose is a problem for me. I'm a type II diabetic/very insulin resistant, 57 YO woman. My blood sugar is always much higher in the morning than the night before (not uncommon among type IIs) and it is the result of my liver pumping out more sugar even though my blood sugar is nowhere near low. It is certainly one important factor, but not the only one, in my current state of turtlehood.