Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-16, 14:13
Registered Member

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: 290/192/175 Male 5'11
BF:
Progress: 85%
Default Dr. Jack Kruse - Genius or Wacko?

Curious if anybody holds a strong opinion about Dr. Jack Kruse?

He seems to be the real eclectic oddball of the low carb paleo community.

He holds the belief that most of the low carb gurus only get it “half right”. He seems obsessed with “light” (sunlight, blue light, red light, UV) and toxic energy (EMF’s RF’s) also “magnetism”.

Kruse Interview Link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yboyGPjekCU

Something in his abstract nature and theories appeals to me (I love physics and science), but I don’t fully “get it” with him.

I think that occasionally someone will try to push a theory based on the idea that “it's too complex for you to understand, but I sound so smart that it must be true.“ This sort of rhetoric causes my cynic to think of the famous quote by E. F. Schumacher: "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius—and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction."

So I’m curious about the opinions of those who feel they understand the theories of Jack Kruse. Are many of us indeed only getting it “half right”? Is it true that it is the “light and protons” that matter more than food (although he agrees that low carb is the best compliment to his hypothesis for good health) Or is this guy just trying to impress us with mystical psychobabble about the universe, energy and its relationship to a ketogenic diet?!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-16, 18:57

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Electrons, Protons, Oxygen and DHA!

What fun! Thanks for pointing at this.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jul-18-16, 20:42
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Wacko, IMHO
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-16, 03:40

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Think this belongs in the War Zone forum. Wacko, or more a snake oil salesman, therefore I have not looked at any articles by or his website in years, so really shouldn't comment. But any of the "Longevity" doctors selling unproven supplements, especially the high levels of hormones for older folks, raise warnings for me.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-16, 06:25

Plan: VLC, mostly meat
Stats: 202/200/165 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 5%

To me it's just a new idea. Well, I already see a problem with Kruze's premise. It seems he equates cellular requirements with diet requirements. The two are not the same: Diet gets translated by the gut, and then in turn by hormones that regulate fuel supply, i.e. insulin. The fact that KD regulates those hormones better than a high-carb diet for humans is merely a function of the diet-gut translation, not of cellular requirements. I forget exactly but we discussed a video of some guy I forget his name, he was talking about metabolism across species and how metabolism remains a constant in spite of wildly different diets, i.e. cows, gorillas, humans, etc. So for example, cows will eat tons of grass, yet their metabolism is geared toward ketogenesis.

From there, we could then argue the electron density stuff, and it would probably be correct, but it still doesn't prove diet requirements. On the other hand, we could start with the premise of cellular requirements (or electron density stuff etc), then work up the chain through experiment to eventually figure out a proper diet to satisfy the premise.

OK, I think I understand a bit. He's talking about magnetism. This makes sense if we see molecular interaction as a function of magnetic potential. The greater it is, the greater the tendency for molecules to interact with each other. This is also true of electric potential and charge, i.e. + or -. In this case, opposites attract, and the stronger the charge, the stronger the attraction. This means two molecules of opposite charge attract each other, and in proportion to their electric potential. Interaction is also a function of PH, and I don't exactly understand how that works yet. What this means is that magnetism and electric charge determine tendency of connecting, while PH determines tendency of interaction and strength of this interaction.

Moving fluid produces both electric charge and magnetic charge. So, the blood moves through arteries, and doing so produces electric and magnetic charge, which then affects tissues in certain ways. That's the gist of it.

Here's an idea based on that. If we're deficient in some hormone or other, and we supplement with this hormone but don't fix the underlying cause of this deficiency, the hormone may or may not work as intended because the cause also acts on blood flow and in turn on electric and magnetic charge which ultimately makes this hormone work as intended. We might have to supplement many times the natural dose to get the desired results, because we did not also treat blood flow/electric field/magnetic field.

Now for some really crazy stuff that just occurred to me. Don't get stuck on this one, though. OK, so recently several pyramids were discovered in Bosnia. People exposed to the tunnels saw changes in their aura, and also felt better as a result of this exposure. Like I said, don't get stuck on this. But if this aura is electric and/or magnetic in nature, and if the body works at a electric and magnetic level, then altering the electric and magnetic fields will have an effect on physiology. I should note that they measured extremely high negative ion levels in those tunnels - something on the order of 1,000x that of outside air.

All this is not necessarily controversial, it's just new stuff that we're just starting to look at.
  #6   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-16, 11:12

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

He's in my approximate area. Personally I have no opinion, but if my boyfriend hears about him he'd like to try his treatments!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jul-19-16, 17:24

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

He is the only doctor on earth who understands acquired cortisol resistance; his advice was the only thing that helped me when a disastrous menopause had me ready to collapse and/or check myself into a mental hospital.

Following his plan let me get through a day of work again; took my sleep from 2-4 hours to 8-10; helped me get enough of a grip to figure out and try other things which also helped.

I think he is far ahead of his time.

But he's no writer or explainer. I love the guy but I have to read his articles ten times to get a grip on what is going on. I am sure he is much better in his videos, judging from the podcasts I've heard, but those are subscription only.

And that's okay, too, because websites are not free, and he puts a lot of time into research and figuring this stuff out.

So he has my vote, but I can also understand people who find him off-putting.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-16, 07:44

Plan: mostly milkfat
Stats: 190/152.4/154 Male 67inches
BF:
Progress: 104%

If he's not in the DSMV, somebody should be hard at work to describe him in the DSMVI.

That doesn't mean I discount everything he says, since I'm probably personally on several spectrums of mental disorder. Some of his information on circadian rhythm, low carb, omega 3's etc. is probably reasonable. I'm not ready to follow him down the rabbit holes of structured water or earthing any time soon.
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-21-16, 09:32

Plan: EpiPaleo/Primal/LowOx
Stats: 220/130/150 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 129%

Quote:
Originally Posted by teaser
If he's not in the DSMV, somebody should be hard at work to describe him in the DSMVI.

I suspect he is unique. Once a dentist, now a neurosurgeon, and also Quantum Guru.
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 13:40
Registered Member

BF:

At the minimum, he has influenced me to order bluetech lenses for my next pair of glasses.

http://blutechlenses.com/

I’m also bathing in AM sunlight daily as he states this optimizes leptin sensitivity, I will monitor my vitals for a while for any changes, such as appetite.

His theory of blue light messing up the melatonin circadian rhythm cycle is consistent with other credible independent research.

http://www.health.harvard.edu/stayi...has-a-dark-side

We know statistically that shift workers take huge health hits. The likely culprit being circadian rhythm issues. Couple this with evidence that blue light suppresses melatonin production and the hypothesis that (the wrong type or excessive or unbalanced) blue light is a health risk seems sound to me.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jul-31-16, 17:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

Heh. I don't know about blue light messing with circadian rhythm. For me, it messes with my brain, entirely, and reflected blue light gives me massive headaches.

So: cloudy days in summer, sunny days in winter. Sun bouncing off snow is NOT good for me.

I have RX blue blockers, just enough to block some, but not make me look jaundiced.
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Apr-20-17, 07:02
Registered Member

BF:
Default Dr. Mercola becoming a Dr. Jack Kruse Fanboy

My opinion continues to shift in favor of the eclectic Dr. Kruse. Even though I don't understand everything he writes (I think he does some of this on purpose) I still sense genius under the hood. My opinion strengthened when I started seeing one of my favorite Doctors (Mercola) beginning to espouse most of Dr. Kruse's advice and theory. The two of them also recently made a movie together.

http://unboundmovie.com/