Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > Pre-Maintenance & Maintenance
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-13, 07:36

Plan: Primal Blueprint
Stats: 389.6/222.6/225 Male 6'2"
BF:24.6%
Progress: 101%
Default So, I Lost Weight. What the Heck Do I Do Now?

Really great article for those of us who are at this point in our journey

http://www.nerdfitness.com/blog/2013/04/11/what-now/
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-13, 14:23

Plan: 20% Carb
Stats: 180/135/135 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Spoiler alert! I know, I'm the only person who hasn't seen Iron Man II yet. *hangs head*

But I do like the article, since I have that same "what now?" question. It seems funny, but increasing my performance feels like a more daunting task than losing weight. Losing weight required willpower, but not any extra work. Lifting weights/building muscles just sounds so exhausting and time consuming. On the other hand, I keep thinking of how nice I'd look if I were actually toned and not just... not-overweight.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Apr-17-13, 22:59
Registered Member

Plan: High fat, low carb
Stats: 225/179/180 Male 74 inches
BF:
Progress:

Quote:
It seems funny, but increasing my performance feels like a more daunting task than losing weight. Losing weight required willpower, but not any extra work. Lifting weights/building muscles just sounds so exhausting and time consuming. On the other hand, I keep thinking of how nice I'd look if I were actually toned and not just... not-overweight.

I could have written these exact words. For me, sticking to LC was a breeze from the start. I found switching to this WOE sorta fun, especially when the results were so evident. Motivating myself to exercise, however, has been near impossible even though I know I could look a lot better.....ripped even....if I just spent a few hours a week lifting/working out.

This article is good, and might help get me over the hump. Thanks to the OP for posting.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Apr-19-13, 08:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 238/174/170 Female 5' 11"
BF:
Progress: 94%

Thanks for posting...I have often wondered what is next...there are many I know who have lost and then gained it all back...I don't want to be one of those...hopefully this article will help...I guess the moral of the story is to make yourself a CONSTANT work in progress...and realize this is a way of life. I have often told people if you lose weight and remain healthy and satisfied while doing it, then that is how you should be eating for life... not to say some day you won't have to modify due to age etc.
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Apr-20-13, 16:34

Plan: LC--Atkins
Stats: 195/162/150 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 73%

Quote:
I guess the moral of the story is to make yourself a CONSTANT work in progress
Exactly. At 66 1/2, I know I'm not done yet.

Just started doing yoga more regularly and more seriously. Feels good. And I like the sense of community in classes.
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-21-13, 09:14

Plan: No Sugar, No Starch Diet
Stats: 250/230/195 Male 74"
BF:38.5%/29%/25%
Progress: 36%

Oh my! That is enough to make me tired. Glad I still have months to go.

I gave up running when I had nowhere to go and nothing was chasing me thirty years ago when I had knee surgery.

Surely there is another option for us retired old farts, you know, something that doesn't seem so much like - - - work?
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 09:21

Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

Im bumping this up.......this is an important question that needs consideration by those in the process of losing and for those close to goal...IMHO it is essential to see the goal as maintenance not achieving a desired weight.....I am curious to see how many who posted on this thread achieved goal and are maintaining...??
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 09:59

Plan: No factory-processed food
Stats: 230/147/147 Male 5' 10"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowcarbedd
Im bumping this up.......this is an important question that needs consideration by those in the process of losing and for those close to goal...IMHO it is essential to see the goal as maintenance not achieving a desired weight.....I am curious to see how many who posted on this thread achieved goal and are maintaining...??

I did not post on this thread; but I have been maintaining now for nearly three years, and I have continued, I think, to make progress in learning how to manage my weight. It is becoming easier.

Once I had lost the weight I became fascinated by my remaining areas of weakness and I worked hard to understand them and eliminate them. For example, I occasionally allowed myself to eat more than usual, knowing I could take any extra weight back off afterwards. Gradually I have overcome the mentality that wanted to have a cheat now and then. I still overeat sometimes when I am out for a meal or visiting or at a family do, but I no longer plan such excursions. I see them as a natural part of a normal life. Everyone does that occasionally, including non weight watchers.

I have learned more and more about how my brain works, and I have used this to create self-talk that stops me getting out of control. I have also systematically trained myself to lose my cravings for fattening foods. Over time I have come to enjoy vegetables and fruits in a way I would never have thought possible. The secret has been not to allow myself cheats with my crave foods; that just resets the craving. Over time, not feeding the cravings pretty much shuts them up. This was a big secret to discover.

Bit by bit I have taken willpower out of the equation, because I actually prefer my good habits and find them more comfortable.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Nov-10-14, 10:46
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I didn't post to this thread either. I just took a look at the OP profile and the last post he wrote was on 11/12/13, so one year ago. I haven't seen him back. I hope that he is doing well keeping it off.

Thanks for bumping, Deb!
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 08:26

BF:

I just see this has been bumped...I did post and lost almost to goal and have gained back about 10 pounds...so you bumped this just in time for me to recommit and be stricter with my eating. I still eat at 95 percent low carb but have had a few more cheats here and there and have been a little less active.
Along with my walking, I am going to do induction and commit to doing some muscle strengthening exercises and some flexibility exercise...I hit the big 50 and I think it slapped me harder in the face than I expected. I don't want to be a weak old lady... I want to at least be able to hang out and have fun with my future grandchildren.

Thanks for bumping this!
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Nov-11-14, 10:41

Stats: 169.2/137/149 Female 69inches
BF:
Progress: 159%

Lterry so glad to hear your update!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Oct-08-15, 21:34

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

The next step is to focus on maintaining your loss...by continuing to change your thinking...
For me after 20 years I see.."normal eating" can NEVER be my goal..sugar is my toxic enemy... simple carbs simply feed my addiction....accountability...and a focus on loving myself enough to honor G-d by structuring my eating to reflect my priority of health..life and G-d's best for my life..
  #13   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 05:43

BF:

I see someone has commented and is a twenty yet Vet. Awesome! What you said is true all of it. since my last post I have started Bikram yoga for exercise. I know someone above mentioned doing exercise that is not so much work. Yoga is work but it is a lot less traumatic on the joints. I too believe sugar is my enemy and consume it as little as possible. Still trying to keep my carbs down is also my plan. I am only down a few pounds since my last post. I am not up tho! yay!
I hope more post here and continue to be successful. You all are truly inspirational.
  #14   ^
Old Fri, Oct-09-15, 09:10

Plan: Low Carb Paleo
Stats: 156/120/125 Female 64"
BF:
Progress: 116%

I'm grateful for bumping this post as well. I've been playing around with vague fitness plans, but with a confused, non-commital attitude. I looked at the Begginner Bodyweight Workout in the nerdfittness blog and am inspired!
At age 57, with some arthritis in knees and toes (which is decreasing as time goes by, on my WOE) this workout seems a good fit for me, and easy to do anytime, at home with no special equipment.
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Oct-11-15, 08:57

Stats: 248/149.2/148 Female 69 inches
BF:
Progress: 99%

Yeah...I so get the resistance to exercise....I had a huge motivator when I started...we were going to Europe on a trip we'd planned for our 40th wedding anniversary...filled with adventure..walking...exploring....our apt in Brussells was 5 floors UP....I did not want to be huffing puffing and sputtering through our trip.....and because I had gotten back to exercise..I didn't...we walked most days 7-9miles....ran to trains more times than I can count...stairs....I didn't miss a beat!!!.....By then I had lost enough to get back into my sz 8's so I didn't have to waste money buying new clothes....or on taxis because we weren't fit enough to walk..run and climb..

I feel so good..We are going to Italy and southern France next year...weve added even more physical activity to our adventure...ziplining the Italian Alps...and walking a portion of Cinque Terre...... a possible kayaking tour through the coast along Naples ( depending on the weather)..and bike tour through Burgundy wineyards!

I cant do that if Im not in shape.....heavy and eating poorly....I would rather do those things than eat when I want ...what I want and whatever quantity I wantand sit on my butt watching TV...

There isn't going to be a big travel plan to keep me going every 2 yrs....
I want to in my everyday life...hike..adventure...play hard with my grandchildren..boulder...conquer walking trails...kayak...all the things thatmake life INTERESTING..