Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#466   ^
Old Sun, Aug-03-14, 17:51

Plan: Atkins/general low carb
Stats: 160/144/140 Female 5 ft. 8 inches
BF:
Progress: 80%

Once again, I have to say how much I love this recipe AND how it helps me. I usually eat a piece for breakfast (if I am not in an egg mood) or I save it for my evening treat. It is so satisfying but does not cause cravings for me. I sometimes need help getting enough fat and this helps a lot with that, plus because of the fat, I stay satisfied for a long time.

I will say that I tried greek yogurt but have returned to using sour cream as I prefer the texture and taste it gives. My favorite version is .25 SF raspberry syrup and .25 c. equiv. of liquid splenda. I use almond extract in place of vanilla as well. The crust is a must for me, love it.

Best wishes on your cheese cake and LC journey! This recipe really has been a tool to my success! Thank Bawdy!

Any thoughts on using peanut butter or PB2 in this recipe? Also if someone remembers how much pumpkin they use when making the pumpkin version that information would be appreciated. I have bad luck with the search tool.
Sponsored Links
  #467   ^
Old Mon, Aug-04-14, 10:30

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

DisneyDoc, in my notes for the pumpkin version I have:

"Add one small can of pumpkin to the batter along with 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmet, 1/4 tsp allspice, and 1/4 tsp cloves. Add another 1/2 cup of Splenda or sugar-free maple syrup. Can also add 2 Tbsp dark rum."

Apparently the batter is not sweet enough with just the 1/2 cup of sweetener in the original recipe when you add the pumpkin. The spices and dark rum suggestions come from my favorite recipe for regular pumpkin pie.

Let us know how it turns out for you.

Every time someone posts to this thread, it gets me thinking how long it's been since I've made a cheesecake myself. Maybe this weekend!
  #468   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 06:35

BF:

Thanks Bawdy! I am whipping up a regular version now then I will try the pumpkin one in a few weeks when it starts to cool off here in Michigan. I did already start burning the fall candles, I do love this time of year!
  #469   ^
Old Wed, Aug-27-14, 08:19

BF:

Where are you in Michigan? I grew up in Livonia.
  #470   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 16:23

BF:

Hi Bawdy!
Naturally I am just preparing to bake a cheesecake, going pumpkin this time, and I see your post, sorry I didn't see it sooner!

We are over in Holland, Dutch town USA! Tulip Time and the whole bit. I am originally from the east side and have spent a lot of time there as well. Hello fellow Michigander!
Thanks!
Erin
  #471   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 18:45

BF:

Pumpkin version is amazing! I calculated the net carbs with the pumpkin and it comes in at 4.25 per 1/12. I add a bit of whipped cream to the top, so each slice will cost me 6 net carbs. It is rich, so I could almost consider 1/16. So good and perfect for fall!
  #472   ^
Old Thu, Sep-04-14, 18:57

BF:

I love the pumpkin version in the fall.

My folks were from Muskegon. Lots of Hollanders there, too!
  #473   ^
Old Thu, Dec-04-14, 19:27

Plan: IF
Stats: 198.5/178/140 Female 60"
BF:
Progress: 35%

This looks like the perfect low carb dessert for Christmas. In fact, I might have to make it next week to test it out.
  #474   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 19:17

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 179/168/145 Female 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 32%

Thank you for posting this recipe. I started my Atkins induction on Dec. 1st. I already made this because I was craving something sweet. Wow, this is amazing, and very satisfying!
  #475   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 05:35

BF:

My pleasure! I've been straying from the straight and narrow lately -- not far, but further than I should. This really is a wonderful recipe, and there are so many ways to vary it.

The last couple of times I made it, I kept out about a cup of the batter and added to that either some sugar-free raspberry jam or sugar-free orange marmalade. Mix that together and then spread it over top of the rest of the batter so that it's another layer. I served the orange marmalade version this summer to some friends, and they couldn't get over how refreshing it was.

Hmmm. Now I'm thinking I'll have to make one this weekend!
  #476   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 12:47

Plan: , LCHF
Stats: 259.6/222.4/130 Female 62 inches
BF:67.2/60.2/normal
Progress: 29%

I did this recipe with swerve and no crust and came out 4 net carbs per slice ( 10 slices/ pie. It is delicious.
  #477   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 12:58

BF:

Yeah, you really don't need a crust. I prefer no crust to the nut crusts I've tried.
  #478   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 11:16

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Made this again for a potluck (original recipe, with cup-for-cup Splenda and almond crust) and it was terrific. Even the kids were eating it. Nobody knew it was sugar free! Hee hee

The crust was soft, like marzipan. I will try parbaking it next time before adding the batter.

Just had a slice with coffee for breakfast.
  #479   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 12:10

BF:

You know, it must be in the air. A number of us have been talking about this recipe lately.

Did you do it plain? I like to leave out a cup or more of the batter and then mix something into it, like cocoa or sugar-free jam or marmalade, and then either just spread it over top or drop it by spoonfuls and swirl it around.

I don't even miss the crust.

Glad you liked it. I don't know what it is about it, but it's better than any other recipe I've tried. And now that I know to use the heavy-duty foil that's bigger so no water leaks in from the water bath, it's simple to make.
  #480   ^
Old Mon, Aug-29-16, 12:54

Plan: OWL
Stats: 177/168/135 Female 5'1"
BF:50.5/38/25
Progress: 21%

Quote:
Originally Posted by BawdyWench
You know, it must be in the air. A number of us have been talking about this recipe lately.

Did you do it plain? I like to leave out a cup or more of the batter and then mix something into it, like cocoa or sugar-free jam or marmalade, and then either just spread it over top or drop it by spoonfuls and swirl it around.

I don't even miss the crust.

Glad you liked it. I don't know what it is about it, but it's better than any other recipe I've tried. And now that I know to use the heavy-duty foil that's bigger so no water leaks in from the water bath, it's simple to make.

Bawdy, I did make it plain (just added a little fresh lemon zest to the batter). I wanted something simple, so one could add a little fresh fruit on top (berries and stone fruits are so good this year!).

I did cover the outside bottom of my springform pan with foil, but I think the crust might've prevented leakage in any case. The pan with water, sitting next to the cheesecake, or was it the slow cooling? prevented any cracks. I put parchment on the inside bottom, and it made it really easy to transfer the cake to a cake platform. I felt like such a pro.