Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > LC Research/Media
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 10:01

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/153/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default In Praise of Low Carb

Have just come across this very interesting article (via a newsgroup) which has been written by a doctor in praise of low carbing. Apologies if anyone has already see this!

http://www.mercola.com/article/Diet..._low_grains.htm
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Feb-26-02, 22:06

Plan: Atkins/PP
Stats: //
BF:
Progress: 50%

That's an outstanding article, Demi! Thanks for posting the link.
I almost wonder if we should copy it so that if the original posting site goes away, we still have a copy for the archives. But I don't know about copyright law.

Allison
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 20:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 225/190.5/150 Female 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 46%

This is an interesting article!
Certainly what jumps out at me is that we need to be very careful to keep our lowcarb wol as natural as possible.
My husband and I have a small hobby farm and we raise beef as well as our own laying hens. My husband also used to keep our freezer stocked with Moose and Deer meats. The first year we raised beef we did not get much weight (fat) on them. The meat was similar to wild game, but it tasted fantastic! The next year we grained the cattle as much as we could afford to and although we really beefed them up, the meat simply does not compare.
I cook up my roosters too and then bake and grind the meat for luncheon meat, and it has more taste than you can imagine.
I saw an article on tv a while back about grain fed livestock not having a certain (amino acid? I don't recall) and that grass fed have it and it helps to maintain humans insulin levels. I would like to find reference to that article again! My take is that we are creating insulin resistance in our animals as well with all the grain. I notice many people filling up on commercialfoods such as bacon and weiners and other prepared meats. Of course as the human population increases their is less room for free range animals to feed and certainly the introduction of grains has increased our world population of people. Those of us that so easily put on the weight come from a long line of survivors that should never had started eating grains, it is so damaging to our wonderful body chemistry.
I wanted to add my two cents anyway. I do not want to start babbling as I am just starting back to lowcarb and my brain fog has not quite cleared up Thanks for the article!
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Feb-27-02, 20:39

BF:

Wow! Would you believe I went and did a search for grainfed vs grass fed beef and just look what came up

http://www.mercola.com/beef/references.htm.

I haven't finished the whole article but it basically explains what I am trying to say
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 19:10

BF:

Hey RuralGurl,

That link doesn't work for me. I'd be interested in reading the article; is there a chance you mistyped the URL?

Thanks,

Allison
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 20:12

Stats: 287.4/255/155 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 24%
Default Mercola & beef

I'm not sure if this is the exact reference, but have a look at this one. http://www.mercola.com/beef/main.htm

Anyone interested in investigating further, go to www.mercola.com and do a search on his site....lots of stuff pops up.

cheers
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-01-02, 20:45

BF:

I'm sorry Allisonm, it did not work for me either, even when I
went back to find it in my history.

Thank You, Ruth! I cut that url too, and was going to make the
same suggestion. There are many interesting articles aren't
there. I am going to work at finding that same article I was
looking at.

Here is another interesting article written by a university student

http://www.louisville.edu/~lrserg01/research.html

with regards to growth hormones.

And this is a totally random thought but I am sure many of you remember that sour stomach feeling you used to get before lowcarb! Well I notice that when I am emptying bags of feed for my animals (poultry and beef) that the dust smells just like that. Really sour!!! Really nauseating. Just something else I wonder about.
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 17:21

BF:

Thanks Ruth and Ruralgurl!

This is a subject I became aware of from a thread started by Wa'il on CLA. Participants in a study lost 3.8% of their body fat when taking CLA.

http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthre...&threadid=31279

I checked the natural foods market here and they don't have grass-fed beef. I just bought the CLA as a supplement. I guess you have to grow your own beef or order from a specialized company.

Allison

Last edited by allisonm : Sun, Mar-03-02 at 17:27.
  #9   ^
Old Sun, Mar-03-02, 18:08

Plan: mostly paleo
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

there's tons of info at
http://www.eatwild.com/index.html

click on the research links...and it's where I found my local supplier of free-range beef. Now my regular grocery is carrying free-range chicken, so once they have a sale, I'm there, too!