Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 09:50

Plan: best for losing weight
Stats: 128/128/110
BF:?
Progress: 0%
Default Carbohydrates Info

Simple carbohydrates are bad for weight loss and weight control. The main example of simple carbohydrate is sugar, So choose low-sugar foods, (especially low-sugar drinks-and eat more natural foods instead of highly processed food.

Complex carbohydrates are not bad for weight loss. In fact they are very good diet foods. They are medium-calorie food but they fill you up!!!

This group includes potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, beans, cereals HIGH IN FIBER, most veg's and fruit, These carbs are wonderful for everyone, recommen we eat 55-60% of our calories from these carbs.

Note: Don't ruin carbs by adding fat, like rich sauces, oils, or other high-fat toppings like butter,sour cream, or mayonnaise. These calorie-dense add-ons turn good carbs into diet-killer.

Just some Infor
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:21

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 242/203.5/140 Female 64 inches (5' 4'')
BF:
Progress: 38%

Hi and welcome to this low-carb forum!

Did you know that on low-carb diets - fats are good and potatos, rice and pasta are bad?

[Edited to correct typo - I really meant low-carb, not icky low fat!]
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:39

Default Reply

According to (Are Carbohydrates Bad for Weight Loss?

Complex Carbohydrates are not bad for weight loss, they are good diet foods, and this includes all the examples I listed.

I'm looking for a diet, that is healthy without diet pills, all the information I get I try to pass on.

I eat mainly Fruits & Veg's and do alot of walking, and exercising, I also eat alot of dry cereal that is very high in fiber, any suggestions for you
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 10:57

Plan: Protein Power
Stats: 220/205/150 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 21%

This is a low carb forum, so we don't eat potatoes, rice, pasta, bread. We get our carbs from vegetables and berries, rich in vitamins and fiber.

To find out more about low carb eating check out the quick links on the right side of the page, the first item listed in the green type is which low carb plan is right for me.

That will help you to understand what we eat and why we eat what we eat.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 14:07

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

Quote:
These carbs are wonderful for everyone, recommen we eat 55-60% of our calories from these carbs.

Just who recommends this? Low fat, low calorie diet gurus? Of course.

Quote:
Note: Don't ruin carbs by adding fat, like rich sauces, oils, or other high-fat toppings like butter,sour cream, or mayonnaise. These calorie-dense add-ons turn good carbs into diet-killer.

You clearly have not read any of the low carb books yet (as stated in your profile.) Or else you just don't believe in LC. RUIN? That's the marvellous thing about low carb: we CAN eat those things and not RUIN the fats by adding carbs. And STILL lose weight!

And as the New England Journal of Medicine has published this week, studies are PROVING that MORE weight is lost on Low Carb than on Low fat AND that the blood tests (good cholesterol and triglycerides) are either BETTER or equal on LOW CARB than on your "preferred plan".

By the way, complex carbs are excellent MAINTENANCE foods, not weight loss foods IF one is following a low carb way of eating.

Hope you find a plan that supports your theories. I don't think there will be many people here who agree with you.

#6   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 14:42

Default Reply

Well This Info came from http://www.annecollins.com/dieting/...weight-loss.htm so you check it out.
Im only 10 pounds over weight, for heaven sakes, eating healthy foods, and walking and exercise should be all it takes, so I don't need to speed a ton of money on books, when I have internet access to read up on things, I only came to this site to see what other people are doing, I'm not a serious Carb dieter, I'm just trying to get in shape alittle, most people wish they had my size of body. So back off, I'm just shedding a little light to what other people say.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 15:06

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Princess...

I'm curious why you would join a board that supports only low carbing and then promote a diet that is fairly high in carbs?
What is healthy for you may in fact be very unhealthy for many others. For example...the glycemic index of pasta, rice and potatoes would send my blood sugar through the roof as a diabetic. Those are foods that I no longer eat in any amount as they have the same effect on me as simple sugars. For those with insulin resistance and hypoglycemia the effect is the same.

Quote:
Im only 10 pounds over weight, for heaven sakes, eating healthy foods, and walking and exercise should be all it takes,

Just like clothing, diets are not "one size fits all". Many (if not most) of those here on this board have already tried the low fat/high carb route and couldn't sustain it for the length of time that it would take to lose their weight and if they did, couldn't maintain on it due to cravings and hunger. Low carbing is what they have found works for them. There's nothing unhealthy about adequate amounts of protein, lots of nutrient dense vegetables, low glycemic fruits such as berries and melons, nuts and healthy fats such as olive oil or butter. Study after study is now showing that cardiac profiles improve considerably on such a diet, at least equally if not more so than on low fat. Many of us do not even consider this a diet. Diets fail because when you stop dieting, the pounds come back and usually bring a few friends with them. Many of us consider this a lifestyle change; a way that we will be eating in one form or another for the rest of our lives.
If you can lose those 10 pounds you way, wonderful! I wish you great success. I wouldn't expect to find a lot of support here for something that many have tried and found did not work for them, though.
  #8   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 19:04

Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%
Default Re: Carbohydrates Info

Quote:
Originally posted by princess1
They are medium-calorie food but they fill you up!!!

This group includes potatoes, rice, pasta, bread, beans, cereals HIGH IN FIBER, most veg's and fruit, These carbs are wonderful for everyone, recommen we eat 55-60% of our calories from these carbs.

This part is just not true...Bread not only doesn't fill me up...it induces major cravings. If I eat even one roll, I get horrible cravings for more bread. Eating alot of Bread and Pasta and very little fat is what put the last 100 pounds on me. I was eating mostly spaghetti and bread...yet, I was still hungry. I know first hand that complex carbs are not filling. 5000 calories, the majority from complex carbs...left me hungry. But, 2000-3000 calories mostly from fat leaves me full.

If you want something low in calories and filling...look at eggs and bacon. A slice of bacon is only 30 calories. A 2 egg cheese omelet is 374 calories. A salad (with cheese and bacon bits) is only 154 calories.

Compare this to a loaf of bread or a box of spaghetti, each of which are loaded with 1600 calories. One slice of bread has almost as many calories as 3 slices of bacon. There are as many calories in one biscuit as in 6 slices of bacon.
  #9   ^
Old Fri, May-23-03, 22:38

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Princess1,

Like others, I can't help but wonder why, if you are looking for information and support, you would come to a low carb website and, instead of asking for information and support, post something whose sole purpose is to challenge the very thing that this site is here to support.

Now, while challenging the tenets of low carbing is fair game, I just don't see your point - not within the context of what you claim you are looking for.

But, be that as it may, you need to be more careful with your plagarism. Your initial post in this thread was presented as being from you. YOU are claiming that YOU wrote it. It then turns out that it is taken word for word from someone else's website. Doing so, without giving proper credit and attributions at the time you present it, is unethical, illegal, and actionable by the person that originally wrote it. Live and learn. Please avoid making such mistakes in the future as they can become quite costly.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 05:54
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default just a newbie, but

Hi Princes 1
I am just a newbie so I surely am no expert about low carb. I like you have only a few pounds to lose, but
i have been trying to lose those few pounds for literally YEARS with your woe and no go. And believe me I have tried it all including conventional low cal low fat diets combined with rigorous cardio ex but to no avail.
Then on a whim I tried low carb and almost magically in one week I lost almost 1/2 the weight that I had been struggling with. I did read quite a few books but just could not let go of entrenched ideas about carbs and fat. But oh my am I glad I did! I am almost halfway to my goal (in 1 week) feeling full and satisfied all the time, enjoying meals more than I can remember, not obsessing about food, tons of energy and no IBD tummy problems (which carbs seem to make for me and which have plagued me for literally years) I am into my third week and although the weighloss has slowed down to 1/2 to a 1 lb a week I think that low carb is the best thing since...hm sliced cheese!

Why not give it a try...you have nothing to lose...and you just might lose a little lol! You know what they say, "If ya keep doin' what you're doin', you'll keep gettin' what you're gettin'"

Read around this forum, there is so so much info and then...
What do ya say? Low carb for a week or two and then decide!

gotta go and have my morning omelet (deliciously cooked in a lovely little pat of butter....yum

happy thoughts and happy weekend!
  #11   ^
Old Sat, May-24-03, 14:05

Stats: 210/150/145 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 92%

Oh just I just ignore people like this.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 03:56

Plan: 35-65 net carbs
Stats: 362/281.8/150 Female 62 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

hmmm sounds to me like someones a little stuck on herself...

Quoted :, most people wish they had my size of body. So back off, I'm just shedding a little light to what other people say

umm no dear i do not wish i had your body, you obviously dont like it either.. i believe that you are confusing people that havent read the book, i believe you should read the book and be informed . Dont mean to sound hostile, but this kinda stuff is what leads people to cheat and fall off the wagon, misleading facts.

Just my honest opinion
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 11:34
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 156/140/120 Female 5:4
BF:
Progress: 44%
Default lowfat versus low carb

it seems to me that you are speaking about a program which you haven't tried...most of us here(including myself)have been on a lowfat diet such as the one you describe, and seen no results. I was diagnosed with hypoglycemia a few years back, and given a lowfat carb diet like the one you described. My god, things went from bad to worse, thanks to being on that diet(by the way, I do go to the gym every morning, and I don't have a lot of weight to lose,) I not only gained weight, but my blood sugar went out of control. I would eat lots of potatoes, rice, fruit, broccolietc etc. I went ot another doctor, who was horrified at what I was eating. he said I needed to cut down on my carb intake or I would soon be diabetic.
Then I started to educate myself about insulin, glucagon, seratonin and the general workings of our bodies, and I decided to give Carbohydrate Addict Diet a try. WOW. My bloodsugar has stabilized, I have tons of energy, and I am losing weight and eating three meals a day without the irresistible urge to snack.
I think you should try it for a month. It seems to me that for someone who thinks you're eating right and being as active as you are, you should have lost that 10 pounds a long time ago. Then after one month, come back here and tell us what happened.Again, I want to stress that not one diet is right fro everyone, the one you're describing might be right for you, but for a lot of us, its a disaster.
best of luck. (Don't judge someone without walking a thousand miles in his shoes)
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-25-03, 18:16
Registered Member

Plan: my own/grain free/veg
Stats: 116/115/101 Female 5'2"
BF:I don't know
Progress: 7%
Default I concur

Princess if you are not happy with your body it seems to me that you have 2 options:
Change your body or
Change your body image

Both of these options reuqire changing your mind!
Change your mind and try something new diet and exercise wise cause what your are doing now ain't gonna get ya any smaller if it hasn't by now!
Or change your body image and accept yourself the way you are and keep eating and exerecising the way you are.

Believe me...been there, done that!