Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Wed, Mar-27-02, 08:46
Registered Member

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 351/327/199 Female 5 feet 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 16%
Default Weight gain from exercise

Trainer Dan,

I understand the weight gain when you start exercising. I want to know how long it will take for the scales to start moving down. Is the weight gain temporary. If we are losing fat and gaining muscle hopefully we will eventually get to goal.

Any information is appreciated.

Kathie36
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Apr-01-02, 11:34

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 270/205/160 Female 5 feet 3.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 59%
Default My experience

Hi, Kathie -

I'm sure Dan will provide an answer with lots of facts and knowledge behind it, so I thought I would let you know about my personal experience. I started Body for Life (an intense weight lifting and cardio regimen) in December and gained and lost about 5 pounds during the 14 weeks that I did it. I gained steadily for about 9 weeks (while losing inches, so I know the fat was coming off!) and then gradually lost scale weight and inches for the rest of the time. I ended up at the same weight I started, but with smaller measurements. For me, my muscle gain and fat loss happened at pretty much the same rate, so I never saw a difference on the scale.

Now, I'm in my 3rd week of a CKD with morning cardio on an empty stomach 4 days a week, heavy lifting 2 days and a circuit designed to deplete my muscles on 1 day - and 2 days off. I am finally losing weight on the scale, but it has taken a while and I am working out really hard. I think the length of time it takes for changes to register on the scale is different for everybody, so don't take my story as the gospel. Be sure you measure before you start (or RIGHT NOW if you've already started exercising) and take the measurements again every two weeks or so. It can be very frustrating to be working so hard and not see any results - the scale will not be your friend for a while. Trust the tape.

OK, that's my two cents...