Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Tips and Stalls
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#91   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 15:11

Plan: Whatever works
Stats: 300.5/200/135 Female 5'1"
BF:
Progress: 61%

I just wanted to mention that American Nutrition sells these nutrients wholesale...I've only been to the site once, but it lists everything much cheaper than anything else I've ever encountered. I'm going to check them out.

Incidentally...I take L-Carnitine (tartrate) 1500 mg daily...and 100 mg of CoQ10 as well.....and the only difference I noticed is increased energy...no real weight loss or stall break....but maybe I'm one of those people who need MORE carnitine to make it work....I've heard there is a range....1500-3000mg per day....and NOT the acetyl type...it works differently....use the TARTRATE type....(the acetyl type doesn't do anything for me...). The only way I can afford to up my current dosage of carnitine is by ordering wholesale...which is why I'm checking out American Nutrition........
Sponsored Links
  #92   ^
Old Wed, Jul-28-04, 20:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 212/176/160 Female 78 in.
BF:
Progress: 69%
Default Which one holds the key?

Can anyone teel me which is more powerful? Acetyl or regular L-carnitine?
  #93   ^
Old Sat, Jul-31-04, 23:30

BF:

Both are equally powerful in their own right, so I am told....

BUT....the regular carnitine....TARTRATE....is supposed to be the one to use if you want help with the weight and energy. The ACETYL type didn't do me any favors....I think it works with memory and brain function. So...I guess the one you take depends on where the problem lies....

#94   ^
Old Fri, Aug-06-04, 13:24
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

I just order some from Doctor's Trust...cost me 32.00 for 2 bottles of 500 mg capsules (120 capsules per bottle). That price included shipping. Here's a link for anyone interested.
http://www.doctorstrust.com/item_se...roduct&parm=103
  #95   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 17:28

BF:

I just visited Doctor's Trust...and the carnitine you mention, Ladycody, does not specify which kind it is.....except that it's "free form". It is the "tartrate" form that is so highly touted as the one to use to help break up and transport fats.

This carnitine might be all right...and will probably help people...but because my body seems to differentiate between the types of carnitine, I don't think I want to take any chances by getting a type I don't know about...or that says "free form" or even "fumarate" (another kind I see a lot).

I just ordered a bottle of 180 capsules of 500mg L-Carnitine Tartrate from American Nutrition (the NOW brand) and received my order in only a WEEK....cost was just under $45....and it's everything it's advertised to be...I am impressed. NOW I can economically increase my carnitine...and see what happens.
  #96   ^
Old Mon, Aug-09-04, 19:30
Registered Member

Stats: 198/162/140 Female 5'5
BF:
Progress: 62%

Just out of curiousity...what is Tartrate...do you know? I know the Acetyl is considered a "brain" food. The two companies I spoke to said that "free form was naturally occuring and tartrate was sythetically extracted. Not sure what any of that means with regard to effectiveness. They both said they assist weight management so I went for the "natural". Wouldnt mind getting a bit more knowledge about it though.
  #97   ^
Old Thu, Aug-12-04, 16:03

BF:

well...I confess I don't really know what "tartrate" means....at least in relationship to "free form", and I wish Dr. Atkins himself hadn't died such an untimely death...and we could ask him about his studies into the use of carnitine. He said in "Vita-Nutrient Solution" that to assist in break down of fats and weight loss that the "tartrate" type is the best. He quoted another book..."The Carnitine Miracle" by Dr. Robert Crayhon (sp?) where it talks more extensively about the subject. In this material I find no mention of any "free form" or "fumarate" carnitine.

I guess you won't know how it will effect you until you try it...maybe it's what you need.....I only know that MY body differentiates between the two types I've tried...acetyl and tartrate....and prefers the tartrate by a long shot.
  #98   ^
Old Fri, Aug-13-04, 18:24

Stats: 158/144/125 Female 5'1
BF:
Progress: 42%

I didn't read through all the threads, just wanted to post that
Swanson vitamins (online) sells L-carnitine 500mg 100 tabs for $11.99. I buy all my vitamins from them and you can't beat the prices, especially their own brand....
  #99   ^
Old Wed, Aug-25-04, 18:19

Plan: atkins
Stats: 330/217/190 Male 70 in
BF:?/30/less than 20
Progress: 81%

I take it for another reason. This is for men only, but there was a study about helping men with problems of ageing. you can read about it here:
http://www.theomnivore.com/Carnitin...t%20friend.html
All I can say is that I tried it, taking both forms as was done in the study, and it helped my problems imensely. It seems to help me with energy as the rest of you have said, but what I initially took it for made it worth whatever it costs. I think it is a miricle supplement.
  #100   ^
Old Fri, Sep-10-04, 16:41

Plan: None Personally created
Stats: 170/154/145 Male 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress:

well will the liquid kind work just as well i have a problem taking pills dont know y

http://www.a1nutritionproducts.com/...uid_l_carnitine
  #101   ^
Old Sat, Sep-11-04, 23:35

Plan: Carb-cycling
Stats: 175/165/120 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:BMI = 31%
Progress: 18%

Bought my first bottle today, at Target for 10.99. I am going to take the amt. recommended by Dr. ATkins in DANDR. AT least 500 mg 3X a day.
I'll keep you all posted, and please, keep up your posts, I'm anxious to hear how it does with you all!
  #102   ^
Old Sat, Oct-02-04, 14:24
Registered Member

Stats: 211/197.5/185 Male 69
BF:18
Progress: 52%

#103   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 15:47

Plan: South Beach-esque
Stats: 194/159/140 Female 5'3"
BF:34% / 28% / 20%
Progress: 65%

Anyone have any theories beyond what Atkins has mentioned, as to why L-Carnitine seems to help? (Like, is there any reason we might be short of it - such as, foods might have contained more L-Carnitine at some point but don't in this day and age? Or something causes our bodies to need more than before?)
  #104   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 18:49

Really fascinating info on carnitine here: http://www.fodsupport.org/carnitine_therapy.htm

Much more there, but here's an excerpt:
Carnitine deficiency is associated with many symptoms. Since the deficiency is nearly always secondary to another disease process, the symptoms are often those of the primary disease plus additional problems that can be reversed with carnitine replacement therapy. Deficiency of carnitine results in decreased energy available to muscle and muscle weakness and low muscle tone. Growth of muscle, and thus weight gain, also requires energy and the child with carnitine deficiency usually has failure to thrive. Carnitine deficiency can affect the cardiac muscle and result in poor cardiac contractions (cardiomyopathy). Energy is important to brain function and abnormalities of brain function can be seen including convulsions, lethargy, irritability, and even coma. These children are very susceptible to infections and with the frequent infections they often show signs of deterioration of mental and physical status. Liver function may worsen and liver failure may occur. In children with genetic metabolic diseases, carnitine deficiency can be life threatening due to the inability to excrete the unburnt "ashes" left over from incomplete fuel burning. These accumulating ashes are toxic and poison the individual. Without carnitine to take these toxins out, the individual may die or suffer irreversible damage.
  #105   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-04, 20:10

Hmm... key point in another document on carnitine:
"Insulin not only keeps fat in storage, but insulin also stimulates the production of new fat. It even lowers levels of the amino acid carnitine in the liver. Carnitine is needed to carry fat precursors into the mitochondria, where the fat precursors can be burned as heat to "waste" calories."
http://www.lef.org/protocols/prtcl-083a.shtml