Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 22:32

Plan: LCHF
Stats: 293/271/170 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 18%
Default Bacon and Sausage

Hi all,
I am just starting out again on my low carb journey (since January 3rd), but this is my first time posting on this forum. I was just curious if you use bacon and sausage which have sugar listed in the ingediants. I don't use these meats often, but am having a hard time finding anything out there for the occasional use. Have you noticed that if you do use them, that they cause lack of progress and take you out of Ketosis. It always amazes me how many things have sugar.

Last edited by Glad2Be : Sun, Jan-29-17 at 22:39. Reason: Change to Newbies questions thread
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 22:47

Stats: 293/271/170 Female 5'10
BF:
Progress: 18%

I already am making mistakes. I mean't to post his on the newbies questions thread and can't figure ourt how to change it. Oh well. I am a newbie, so I might as well introduce myself. I have already learned so much by stalking the boards and finally decided to join in. I have done low carb many times in the past and it works for me. But I am now making it high fat, low carb which really seems to be working for me. Luckily from my past attempts I know where I go wrong and can try to avoid those pitfalls. Joining this group is definately a step in the right direction. You all have so much knowledge and provide inspiration.
  #3   ^
Old Sun, Jan-29-17, 23:16

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Welcome.

To answer your first question; For me, if sugar is listed as an ingredient and adds to the carb content in a significant way (by this I mean 1 carb per serving) I tend to avoid it. So, if the bacon shows X carbs per serving you might look for another brand. If it doesn't you might considering eating it in moderation.

That's my advice based on what I know today subject to modification via future compelling evidence
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 02:23

Plan: Atkins 72 Induc Lifer IF
Stats: 249/157/150 Female 5'7.5"
BF:
Progress: 93%

I have been at this about a year and a half, at first it's quite a bit of work to study food labels. At first, I read every label- if sugar was in the ingredient list it did not go into my cart other than veggies which have a bit of carbs. After a while I now know which things I can buy that don't contain sugar and I stock up on them. I must say though, I am pretty strict about the plan. I make my own salad dressing even so that I know what is going into it. Bacon and sausage or processed meats are tricky items but keep searching. I will buy if it says 1 or less than 1 carb but then I stick to that 1 serving in my meal but I mostly hunt for the zero carb so that if I have some carbs it's in the form of veggies. Def huge eye opener when we start reading labels, not easy finding foods that don't contain some sugar but once you hunt those out, you will know what you can buy so the shopping becomes much easier.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 04:15

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

If it contains sugar I don't eat it.

Jean
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 06:39

BF:

But what about "natural" sugars Jean? (I'm just kidding here of couse ) Here's a tricky one that I had to moderate on; store bought Mayo. If you read the label most all of them have added sugar yet the carb count says "0"

Portion and anything less than one can be called zero as i think they around down, plus food manufacture is not as accurate as organic chemistry. I have settled my mayo dilemma by deciding not to eat PUFA oils and make something similar now with avocado oil, egg yolk, salt and pepper - and elbow grease. I tend to eat a lot less of it this way.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 06:40
A'72 Lifer Hard Core

Plan: A'72 Induction Lifer + IF
Stats: 265/114/130 Female 5'4"
BF:Not so much now!
Progress: 112%

I'll eat bacon maybe once every couple of months or so and limit it to 2 oz...b/c I haven't found any around here that doesn't have sugar listed on the nutrition label...
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 14:34
Registered Member

Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Mten - Can I ask what you use to make your own salad dressings? I watched "The Sugar Film" this weekend - very eye opening. I then went and read all my labels - almost all my sauces/dressings -even the low carb - have high fructose corn syrup!!! So, I threw them all out.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 15:14

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress:

I usually get low sodium because the ones I have I found, Smithfield and another brand I can't remember also don't have sugar added.

As for sausage, I used to make my own with ground pork. I have found store brands with no sugar.

These are things I take care with carefully on Induction but I also look at carb count. If it is less than 1, I may still eat it sparingly or if there is no other option.

Last edited by Baylor1 : Mon, Jan-30-17 at 18:30.
  #10   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 17:03

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbow
Mten - Can I ask what you use to make your own salad dressings? I watched "The Sugar Film" this weekend - very eye opening. I then went and read all my labels - almost all my sauces/dressings -even the low carb - have high fructose corn syrup!!! So, I threw them all out.

Hey adbow, while waiting for mten to follow up I thought I could give you a head start on a "sauce"/dip/dressing. I'm experimenting dropping certain oils, like soy bean oil, and am using avocado oil as a substitute. You make it like this (manual method)

1 Mixing bowl
1 whisk
Avocado oil
1 egg yolk
1 tsp mustard (your choice)
salt
pepper

Whisk the egg, mustard, salt and pepper in the bottom of the mixing bowl. Add a few drops of oil, whisk, Add a few drops of oil, whisk, Add a few drops of oil, whisk, Add a few drops of oil, whisk, Add a few drops of oil, whisk...

When the mixture starts to thicken and make some attempts at peaks you can add more oil between whisking. If you make a mistake and add too much oil, set that bowl aside add another egg yolk and spices to another bowl and use the broken batch as the oil into the new bowl more slowly.

Here's a picture of apox 1 cup I made 2 days ago. I'll use the batch within 2 weeks or so. I use to eat A LOT more mayo - making my own I use A LOT less cause I know I'll have to make more sooner

I present you... "Avocadonnaise"

Last edited by thud123 : Mon, Jan-30-17 at 17:12.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Jan-30-17, 18:06

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 296/220/205 Male 71 inches
BF:25%?
Progress: 84%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glad2Be
Have you noticed that if you do use them, that they cause lack of progress and take you out of Ketosis.

Nope.
Quote:
It always amazes me how many things have sugar.

I'd stay away from them during induction but remember that you are supposed to add carbs back in after two weeks and most bacon's I've seen have very little sugar.

Green beans are a good example. It's common in the south to add a bit of sugar to beans. That's to replace the natural sugar in beans that is lost when they are stored or sit on a shelf. People here know what fresh beans taste like and it's improper to consider sugar added to replace what was lost as "added sugar". It's the same amount of sugar.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 02:05

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adbow

Yes, quite frightening all the sugars in foods. I use avocado oil, fresh squeezed lemon juice, some fresh pressed garlic, basil, salt & pepper. I mix all together and then taste it and add in more of whatever is needed until I am satisfied with the flavor. You can really add in whatever herbs you like. I make up a big batch, store in fridge and shake well before using. A little of this goes a long way on a salad, fats in the avocado oil keeps you full for hours and hours.
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 03:47

Plan: very low carb real food
Stats: 245/125/135 Female 62
BF:
Progress: 109%

Salad dressing - Extra virgin olive oil and apple cider vinegar in a 3/1 ratio, fresh pressed garlic, salt, pepper, mustard powder, other herbs as desired. Sometimes fresh squeezed lemon juice replaces the apple cider vinegar.

Jean
  #14   ^
Old Tue, Jan-31-17, 09:09
Registered Member

Stats: 299/232.8/125 Female 5'2"
BF:
Progress: 38%

Thanks so much Thud, mten and Jean!!!

I've thrown out at home anything with added sugar..hahah...so now I have a list I'm getting at the store this week!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Feb-01-17, 06:59

BF:

Great idea adbow, that's what I did when I first started, everything had to go. I then designated a kitchen cupboard that was just 'my stuff'. Only things I could have. Back then, sugar free jello was a go to if I felt I needed some sort of treat, macadamia nuts etc. I rarely use those now but early on it really helped me to stay on plan until became a woe. Now I stock up on salad fixings, olive and avocado oil, healthy meats, fish, eggs, veggies, cheeses, almond & coconut milk, heavy whipping cream etc so my fridge is always full of things I can have. I make my own bone broth and store that in servings in my freezer- keeps well and so delicious, really good with an egg dropped in it. Keep going, you will learn a whole new way of cooking and really so many delicious things we can have, we don't have to struggle or go without and best yet we can still lose weight and feel healthy.