Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 07:11

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 156/154/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:
Default 4 weeks in - and frustrated :-(

Hi, I've been doing Atkins for the last 4 weeks. I started out with about 30 pounds to lose, which isn't tremendous, but I have a fine bone frame, and it makes a big difference on me.

The first two weeks on Atkins, I lost 6 pounds. In the last two weeks, I have not lost any additional weight. I have been tracking everything I eat religiously. My carbs are all in line at 18-22 g a day. My protein is in line at 80-90 g a day. (It's at the lower end of what they recommend for my height - which should be adequate, given that I'm not very active.) However, I am really struggling trying to get in the fat and total calories the plan says I should have. I'm eating eggs, bacon, ground beef patties made from 25% fat ground beef, sometimes chicken, heavy cream in tea and the occasional protein shake, salami stuffed with cream cheese, sometimes full fat cheeses....

I'm not going over the amount of eggs or cheese the plan says I should have in a day. I know they have some carbs in them, and I'm tracking that. My carbs are all coming from the residual carbs in eggs and dairy, salad greens, berries, nuts, tomato, etc. I did have a few Atkins bars in the third week, but honestly, to me they're not good enough tasting for how much they cost. Those suckers are expensive!

My total calories have been about 1000-1300 per day. I'm not hungry at all. I don't really think I could eat any more protein. I know different plans are a little different. I'm wondering if my metabolism has slowed because I can't get in enough total calories. Is that a possibility or is it a myth? I'm really not sure how I'd get more calories without upping carbs, though. Honestly, I don't know where I'd possibly add more fat. I have been trying to walk 2-3 miles every day or two to keep my metabolism up, but it doesn't seem to help.

In addition, the Atkins site has been down twice in the last week, which makes tracking difficult at best - especially when it goes down in the middle of the day.

Any ideas? A better site where I can track? Anything I can try to get the weight moving again?

Thanks in advance!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 16:28

Plan: P:E=>1 (Q3-22)
Stats: 168/100/82 Male 182cm
BF:
Progress: 79%

Sounds like you are doing great. I could only suggest doing more of the same and wait for change. Others may have some tips for tracking sites. I don't bu there is a tool here called my plan.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 16:42

Stats: 245/189/145 Female 5"4
BF:
Progress: 56%

I like fitday for tracking. Stay away from the artificial stuff like Atkins bars if you can, some people find that the bars and shakes stall them.
Keep going, it may be that your body might just take a bit longer.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, May-20-16, 17:34

Stats: 156/154/125 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress:

Thanks, thud123 and muffles! I will check out the tracking here.

It could be the Atkins bars - that was the only thing I did differently than weeks 1-2. Honestly, they're not that good, and they're very expensive. I thought they'd be a good substitute for chocolate - but so not. I'm picky about my chocolate. :-)
  #5   ^
Old Sat, May-21-16, 02:08

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome,

Slow or no loss week 3 and 4 is common. Reasons why: http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=365499
Dr. Atkins instructions were "Eat when hungry, stop when full". If you are not hungry, don't eat. Or don't force yourself to have three meals and snacks. Maybe change your meal timing, e.g. Only have two larger meals a day?
I use My Fitness Pal, it syncs well with its app. Entry easy after you get use to it and have previous foods. Can custom goals to LC.
I'd also suggest you drop the processed foods, bars and shakes. Nuts are easy to overeat, some plans remove them completely in the beginning.
And lastly, you are only a few pounds from a healthy BMI. You may have a small frame and believe you look better at a BMI of 20, but being healthy for your reproductive age is the body's priority.