Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:09
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins Dr. Westman
Stats: 274/205/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 53%
Default Hi! Newbie here :)

I am preparing to start Jan 1st. I have to really get my head around it before I start. I did low carb before and lost 40lbs in 2 months. I felt great, and KNOW it is the way for me. Recently diagnosed with T2D...and Dr said I can get off the meds if I get serious about the carbs.

I am definitely addicted to carbs, and eat them for coping emotionally. Like an alcoholic. I have to abstain until I can get past my addiction. When I low carbed before, the cravings went away.

Any help you can offer me would be appreciated. I will being doing 20-30 net carbs a day, that seems to work really well for me. Just want to get into and stay in ketosis.

I went to a nutritionist, hoping to get support, but she was anti low carb, very old school. Need the support, and that is what brought me here.
Thank you!!!
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:36

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

Welcome, you have found the right place!!

Look at all the different sub-forums that apply, esp. check out the Diabetes forum, or you can join Buddy groups, challenges or the Triple Digit group for support.

Read back through Diabetes threads as there are many videos and websites linked there that will explain insulin resistance and how to control it through diet. http://forum.lowcarber.org/forumdisplay.php?f=45 One of the best 18 minute TedxTalk videos explaining insulin resistance, obesity and diabetes is a new one by Dr. Sarah Hallberg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ or her new video tutorials on her website: http://fitteru.us Her rule is No GPS (Grains, Potatoes, Sugar) and don’t drink any calories. You don’t even have to count carbs if you do just that.

Another excellent website with links to many shorter videos and articles on a wide range of Health and diabetes topics is: https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com This is a large resource guide written by a diabetes educator, check all the links under Everything Else tab, and under each topic, plus she has a free diet ebook for diabetes. Just this one page and you could get lost here for days.
https://lowcarbrn.wordpress.com/eve...bsites-i-trust/

If you still think you need a nutritionists help, now there are many LC ones who consult by Skype. But there are so many ways to learn through videos, blogs, and podcasts you can likely formulate the diet that works for you on your own..with our help .

All the best,

Last edited by JEY100 : Tue, Dec-08-15 at 14:51.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 12:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 310/310/185 Male 69"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Hi FLYfree,
I have 2 tips.....(1) Make sure you have loads of support. This way of eating can be hard to keep up when everywhere around you is sugar. (2) If you mess up one meal,you move back to low carb the next meal. Don't abandon it because of one slip up. 98% LC is better than eating sugar all day. Trust me, I really love my carbs and eating eggs and bacon is hard when your kid is pouring fruit loops beside you. Anyway welcome. There are a lot of nice people here who can help you if you need it.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 16:31
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you!!!

Thank you ~jey100 and ~pitfall21!
I appreciate your advice. I am not sure how to reply to you directly here...hopefully this will work!

I look forward to watching the youtubes, and learning my way around here!!!
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Dec-08-15, 18:20
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Hi and welcome. I take it you're a FlyBaby? I'm really grateful for Marla's ideas and it certainly made a positive impact on my life.

Feel free to post about any issues you're having, or tell us a bit more about yourself if you feel you have obstacles getting in your way. Everyone has different challenges but you'll surely find someone here who's been in your shoes.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 14:39
Registered Member

BF:
Default Hi!

Yes I know Fly lady, but mostly I have a thing for butterflies...
So...it's a multiple meaning thing for me
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Dec-09-15, 15:45

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

The biggest piece of personal advice I have is this: things are as hard as we tell ourselves they are. If we think it's hard to eat on plan, then it is. If we think, "Man, to think for all this time, I could have been eating steak with sautéed mushrooms, instead of that junk I used to eat!" we will love what we are doing, and want to do more of it.

NOBODY likes to constantly battle their own brain, when they're putting food in their mouth. It's not necessarily easy to get into the mindset that this is my wonderful way of eating for the rest of my life, but it's not hard, either. It all depends on what is important to you.
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 21:54
Registered Member

BF:
Default I love that!

Thank you! That's great advice!
I'm looking at recipes, and starting to plan. I'm excited and looking forward to moving forward!!!
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Dec-10-15, 22:57
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
One of the best 18 minute TedxTalk videos explaining insulin resistance, obesity and diabetes is a new one by Dr. Sarah Hallberg. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=da1vvigy5tQ or her new video tutorials on her website: http://fitteru.us Her rule is No GPS (Grains, Potatoes, Sugar) and don’t drink any calories. You don’t even have to count carbs if you do just that.

Watched tonight! Was soooo good! And encouraging! Thank you again!
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 05:23

She is terrific! She runs a monthly support group in Lafayette IN and has a study that might be open to you (even at distance). I found both checking in with a doctor (Dr Westman at Duke) and going to his monthly support group helped me reach and stay near goal. We have buddy groups here too and the Internet provides so many types of information and support..find what works for you.
  #11   ^
Old Fri, Dec-11-15, 05:29

DietDoctor (Dr Andreas Eenfeldt) is another favorite, here is his Diabetes page: http://www.dietdoctor.com/diabetes and his intro page. http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf
There are five good free videos at the end of it, and much free info on his website. Recently he started a membership option (free for first month) where you can binge watch Low Carb information until Jan 1. Dr Westman's five part video on the member area is excellent as well.
  #12   ^
Old Sat, Dec-12-15, 11:42
Registered Member

BF:
Default Thank you again!

I see you are in NC...I am too, I live in Apex

I KNOW this is the way I need to eat for the rest of my life. When I was doing it before, there was no urge to binge, and I was hardly ever hungry. I keep running into people who had gastric bypass, and ALL of them HAVE to eat low carb now. Big clue!

My idea is to eat 2 protein shakes, one in the am, and one in the pm, one raw meal of veggies and meat, and one cooked meal of veggies and meat. Stuff like cheese, jerky, and nuts for snacks.

I just have to make it through those first 2 weeks of the "flu"! Those are hard...but I can do it, I HAVE to, or I will become dependent on insulin, and I do not want to do that!
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Dec-13-15, 04:50

Haha, another neighbor. at least two of us here are Dr Westman's patients, a world class clinical researcher in low carb diets. You can see him at Duke or he has a new HEALClinic near Southpoint (appointments available there quicker) His support group meets first Tuesday of every month at a restaurant on 15-501. If you are not already seeing him, I would strongly encourage you to. Obviously the diet information you will get there is cutting edge, not an old school nutritionist.

Two success stories you might enjoy, Lynn's at the HealCinic site: http://healclinics.com/lynne-iveys-...transformation/. And Janet's on CBN (that's not me but both are friends made through the support group) http://www1.cbn.com/cbnnews/healths...-Cure-Diabetes/. We all just eat real food, no protein shakes though some may find that easier. However, you have to be careful with whey because that can be insulinogenic and soy is poison (in my view) Watch Dr Fung's videos about diabetes...it is the production of too much insulin and then resistance to that insulin. High blood glucose is only a symptom of the real problem and explains why using mores insulin to bring down BG for a T2 is so wrong. With only BG meters available at home, you may miss the insulin rise from a protein powder. And blood sugar regulation is not only what you eat but when...snacks are not encouraged.

Having a cup of broth both mid-morning and afternoon really helps the "flu"...there are new techniques to manage a LC diet well. Read the 2010 edition of Atkins by Dr Westman for tips, though to start suggest you consider his clinic diet instead which is 20g total carbs per day. A lower carb induction will help you stop cravings easier and maybe sooner.

Last edited by JEY100 : Sun, Dec-13-15 at 06:16.
  #14   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-15, 12:04
Registered Member

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Haha, another neighbor. at least two of us here are Dr Westman's patients, a world class clinical researcher in low carb diets. You can see him at Duke or he has a new HEALClinic near Southpoint (appointments available there quicker) His support group meets first Tuesday of every month at a restaurant on 15-501. If you are not already seeing him, I would strongly encourage you to. Obviously the diet information you will get there is cutting edge, not an old school nutritionist.

So excited you shared that with me. That is exactly what I am looking for!!!
I have been trying to make contact with them, so far, no call back yet. Maybe because of the holidays. Do you know if they take insurance?

Thanks!
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Dec-21-15, 13:29

Stats: 189/148.6/145 Female 5' 5"
BF:36%/28%/25%
Progress: 92%

FlyFree, my sister had a lap banding done, several years ago. The lowest she ever got, at 5'2", is 175, and she's now down again to around 200.

She was telling me the other day how she doesn't want to deprive herself, and "balanced diet" and "foods humans have been eating for millennia" and blah, blah, blah.

I told her that what she ate was her business, I was merely telling her why I believe that LCHF is best for ME. She's only 55. Maybe by the time she's my age, she'll figure it out.