Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#31   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 09:25

Plan: my own, close to atkins
Stats: 206/193/140 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 20%

everyone is talking about carb counting...is there an easy way to go about..just print out a list ....and add? I havent been doing that at all, should I? I have just been eating things I know are very low in carbs?
Sponsored Links
  #32   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 09:49

Plan: P:E/DDF
Stats: 225/150/169 Female 5' 9"
BF:45%/28%/25%
Progress: 134%

In the beginning I used the Atkins carb counter from their "kit" and just kept track with paper and pencil. There are dozens of freely available ways to find nutrition data...even Google has recently joined in..just type "carbs in XX"

Now I use My Fitness Pal, both on the computer website and the iPad app, also free. I didn't start using this until my weight loss slowed and decided to keep a closer eye on exactly how many carbs I was eating. Depends on your personality if precise counting would be helpful or overwhelming.
  #33   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 11:21

BF:

thanks Jey100..I am not sure if counting will be good or not for me yet, but thats good info to at least try it!!! esp the google address. Fitness Pal??? I dont know about that, and i have been stalled btween 16-17lbs for couple weeks!
  #34   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 12:27

There are many "trackers", e.g. FitDay, FatSecret and MyFitnessPal.
I tested them all and MFP was the easiest to use for me, huge database and you can customize "goals" to low carb.
http://www.myfitnesspal.com
In the Apple app store is still the top rated tracker...called "Calorie Counter by MFP"
  #35   ^
Old Tue, Oct-15-13, 13:26

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Don't fall into the "Healthy Carb" trap. Read some of the new research in "Wheat Belly" and "Grain Brain". Both excellent books.

OK..THOSE BOOKS SOUND GREAT I WILL. BTW ..THAT IS SUCH A CREEPY HAND IN YOUR PIC......ALMOST LOOKS LIKE PARSNIPS LOL
  #36   ^
Old Wed, Oct-16-13, 06:46

Plan: South Beach-ish
Stats: 242/240/190 Female 5 foot 4 inches
BF:
Progress:

I'm in Australia so the book I ordered from Amazon will take a couple of weeks, but when I get it I will see how it looks. Thanks so much Kirsteen for the link, I have had a good look, it's a great resource!
  #37   ^
Old Thu, Oct-17-13, 15:17

BF:
Progress:

I know, I am finding I'm spending so much time just researching and looking for recipes etc. I'm quite sure I have Syndrome X or Insulin resistance, but never knew what was the fundamental cause of it. I decided to really work and research my own unique health issues, including some liver problems (fatty liver, as shown by blood tests), and also uterine fibroids. Basically I found that one thing that fitted just about everything was Magnesium Deficiency. Apparently all soils in the world (except Egypt) are extremely deficient in magnesium, making it nearly impossible to get what we need from our food...also mercury fillings (I have them) and fluoride in the water deplete magnesium...and Vitamin D deficiency depletes it too...as do caffeine, carbonated soft drinks, alcohol and sugar. I have never been one to drink alcohol, but over the years I have had sugar in my cup of tea. Anyway, if you are interested here is a link to a good article about that. This is the bit that got my interest, the conditions that indicate possible magnesium deficiency and how they relate to thyroid, obesity and carbohydrate metabolism:
"Obesity- especially obesity associated with high carbohydrate diets
Syndrome X – insulin resistance
Thyroid disorders – low, high and auto-immune; low magnesium reduces T4"
http://www.cheeseslave.com/are-you-...ium-deficiency/
Anyway, that's a big part of the puzzle for me. I am also finding out about zinc deficiency, as I've always kind of had that thought in the back of my mind that I may be zinc deficient, maybe its my intuition, because I have no idea what zinc does in the body. So I should really investigate that too.
I think a person's metabolism and weight is such a personal thing, and it feels like we need to find like the combination of a safe or something to unlock it. I am trying desperately not to feel defeated by this. I have just dieted for almost two weeks and I have put on 1.2kg. This feels insane. I hope everyone else is doing better than me!
  #38   ^
Old Sat, Oct-19-13, 11:13

Plan: induction
Stats: 180/180/140 Female 5 6
BF:
Progress: 0%

I like focus on the wonderful things you can eat on Atkins, things I would avoid like the plague while my extra weigt stayed put. For me being able to eat Havarti Cheese, steak,
ceasar salad, is just a wonderful treat. Even better is that you can do it guilt free.
If I do have the urge for something high carb, I go for a walk,
no carbs out in the woods.
  #39   ^
Old Sun, Oct-20-13, 04:23

BF:
Progress:

That's right, there is plenty to be thankful for. And I have to just persist, no matter what happens. I hate feeling out of control, but I'm doing all I can do and sooner or later I will have to see results, surely...I am trying to stay positive and remind myself that I have time...I don't have to do it all yesterday.
  #40   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 03:04

Now that you have been around this forum over a week and researching all over, have you decided on a low carb plan? One of the first tips in the Newbie sticky is Pick a Plan, read the book and follow it. If you are South Beach, don't "-ish" it, follow the rules. Taking an idea from CAD like a cheat meal and adding it to another plan just doesn't work. You wrote a few days back about the original Atkins plan, and Dr. Westman's plan works the same way...the rules are simple, the carbs are counted already, just do it.
We know a bit too much when doing low carb a "second time around" and start mixing plans.
Dr. Edes has some good tip's about commitment http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...nd-time-around/

I need to re-read these tips and remember them myself! I up my fats, then read another LCer who limits them, so jump around, mixing and matching too much.

Last edited by JEY100 : Mon, Oct-21-13 at 09:48.
  #41   ^
Old Mon, Oct-21-13, 11:22

BF:

I have a question (newbie) if I am using "sticks" to tell if I am in ketosis or not. If its pink/purple does that ALWAYS mean I am in Ketosis?
  #42   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-13, 12:20

Plan: Figuring it out
Stats: 366/282.2/166 Female 5'6"
BF:YEP/YEP/YEP
Progress: 42%

Quote:
Originally Posted by WereBear
That's the thing about change. It changes everything.

You start eating low carb to lose weight, and it does that. But you also wind up feeling better; more energy, better sleep, fewer digestive issues, shinier, stronger hair and nails. But your moods are also better; cheerful and positive. Blood pressure normalizes, blood sugar stabilizes, you even find yourself more confident. And it's not just the change in size.

It's the change in you.

OR

You can have cereal in the morning.

Love this.
  #43   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-13, 17:26

BF:
Progress:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEY100
Now that you have been around this forum over a week and researching all over, have you decided on a low carb plan? One of the first tips in the Newbie sticky is Pick a Plan, read the book and follow it. If you are South Beach, don't "-ish" it, follow the rules. Taking an idea from CAD like a cheat meal and adding it to another plan just doesn't work. You wrote a few days back about the original Atkins plan, and Dr. Westman's plan works the same way...the rules are simple, the carbs are counted already, just do it.
We know a bit too much when doing low carb a "second time around" and start mixing plans.
Dr. Edes has some good tip's about commitment http://www.proteinpower.com/drmike/...nd-time-around/

I need to re-read these tips and remember them myself! I up my fats, then read another LCer who limits them, so jump around, mixing and matching too much.

You are absolutely right! I have to stop mixing and matching, stop looking and just get real. I was trying South Beach because I listened to the people who say that fat isn't good for you. But one thing my research has taught me is that if you want to eat fat to burn fat, there has to be fat in the diet
in the first place. A lot of people have had success in taking a teaspoon of coconut oil before meals, for that very reason. I think the reason I've been umming and ahhing is just that I know this has to be a lifelong commitment so I want to make sure I can do it for the long haul.
  #44   ^
Old Sat, Nov-02-13, 17:01

Plan: Dr. Bernstein
Stats: 188/150/135 Female 5 ft 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 72%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazcarr
everyone is talking about carb counting...is there an easy way to go about..just print out a list ....and add? I havent been doing that at all, should I? I have just been eating things I know are very low in carbs?

Until I actually started measuring my food and counting the carbs, I didn't get anywhere. It's too easy for me to lose track of the amount of lc foods I'm eating and overdo it. I'm getting used to it and know what I can eat at potlucks and restaurants without consulting my carb list. But I still take a small lc meal with me, just in case there is nothing I can eat. And that has happened.

But I'm still keeping my food diary and counting carbs at home. It keeps me honest.