Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#151   ^
Old Thu, Sep-30-10, 13:10

Plan: South beach
Stats: 188/188/178 Male 185 cm
BF:
Progress:

I have now done some more routines and I still think it is a great programme. Yoga X was a challenge for me. I simply don't have the patience for 90 minutes of slow (but not easy) exercise. Had to do the last half hour on double speed on the dvd

I'm not following the plan strictly because I like to fit in other things (running, weight training etc), but it is great to know that you can always plug in one of those dvd's and get a good workout.
Sponsored Links
  #152   ^
Old Sun, Oct-03-10, 19:38
4 phases Use them

Plan: Atkins - Induction
Stats: 250/250/180 Male 70 Inches
BF:ack/ack/ack
Progress: 0%

Sheila,

Looks like I will be another week out on the P90X. Simply because my wrist was more beat up than I thought. I might have to have it looked at but it seems to be getting better.

The knee is healing nicely I think it will be fully healed by next week.

John
  #153   ^
Old Mon, Oct-04-10, 06:19

Plan: modified atkins
Stats: 184.0/141.5/152.0 Female 66.25 inches
BF:35%/???/???
Progress: 133%

Man John you have had it rough. Hate that for you, but you gotta take care of you P90X will be around when your all minded. So how is lowcarb going for you in the mean time?
  #154   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 12:52
4 phases Use them

yeah... that is what I was thinking... P90X can and will wait until I am healed.

Nice thing is that I am not gaining. So this means that my food is great and I am at what I need to be to maintain.

Which is scary because this means my threshold for maintaining is about 30 to 40 grams of carb a day. Loss is probably about 10 to 15.
  #155   ^
Old Tue, Oct-05-10, 20:21

well you know your maintance levels while not exercising right? I bet while P90Xing that will go up a bit!
  #156   ^
Old Thu, Oct-21-10, 07:43

Plan: Paleo-ish general LC
Stats: 151/119/118 Female 64 in
BF:
Progress: 97%

OK,if my DVD's haven't moldered away (believe it or not, I ordered them on a trip out of town about 5 YEARS ago) I'm going to go for it. Awesome job everybody. I've got a few questions if anyone would take the time,that would be great.

I'm a fairly experienced weight trainer but have gotten into a terrible rut. Have lost some strength due to layoffs (migraines, laziness also, heh) I know the tapes will still kick my rear. I can't do pullups - I will try, but I'm sure using bands will be more productive at least at first. How many bands and how strong of bands should I get? Do I need a floor mat? Any recommendations?
BTW we have a fairly extensive home gym with a pullup bar and lat pull machine (with that, do Ineed the bands?) , dumbbells, etc. The biggest dumbbell right now is writing this message - P90X is totallly new to me!
  #157   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 07:50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikemice
I know the tapes will still kick my rear. I can't do pullups - I will try, but I'm sure using bands will be more productive at least at first. How many bands and how strong of bands should I get? Do I need a floor mat? Any recommendations?
BTW we have a fairly extensive home gym with a pullup bar and lat pull machine (with that, do Ineed the bands?) , dumbbells, etc. The biggest dumbbell right now is writing this message - P90X is totallly new to me!

Hey!
Congrats on starting the P90X journey. P90X a great choice! Eeveryone is different as to how strong a band is needed. I got set of three when I started round one. Think their strenghts are 5, 10 and 15 pounds. I wasn't very far into the program before I started combining them all! I still can't do a pullup but I do use my pullup bar and a chair. If you don't want to purchase the bands for whatever reason I would use the bar with a chair. I think you will pleasantly surprised at the workout that provides.
I would buy a matt, a nice cushy one. Firm but cushy, for me a nice matt protects my spine and my knees. I'm 47 and do understand the importance of taking care of those.
In my opinion, dumbbells (free weights) are the best for P90X. Try it for 30 days as instructed then I bet you will form your own opinions as to what weights are best for you.
You need to TRUST the program, don't start tweaking it until you have followed it for at least a month. Lots of research has went into the program and I'm betting the ones that designed it know more about fitness then you or I! LOL
Push play, can't wait to hear of your journey!
  #158   ^
Old Fri, Oct-22-10, 07:58
4 phases Use them

Hand still screwed up. Missing my work outs..
  #159   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-10, 09:38

John take care of that hand and P90x will be there when you are ready!
push play
  #160   ^
Old Sat, Oct-23-10, 10:14

BF:

Thx, xturkeyldy, 5, 10 and 15 lb bands sound about right. Might even have some old ones around here. Oh, no, I have no intention of messing around or tweaking the program any. In fact I'm still trying to figure out the workout scheme. Better read the manual again before I'm tempted to ask newbie questions here...

The pullup bar will need a chair like you suggest, sometimes I jump up and do negatives, but as you know you can't do too many of those at one time.

Getting my gym ready. Target start is Nov. 1....
  #161   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 15:26

I enjoy hearing about new people trying out P90X !! woo hoo! I want to also suggest before measuring and pictures. Just take them and file away if you like but in 30, 60 and 90 days I think you will enjoy seeing the changes.

I had someone to suggest using a tall step ladder instead of a chair and that worked kinda nice for a change. I could actually put feet higher thus changing the whole pull up for me.
If you don't have the workout schedule after 5 years..(hehehe) I suggest you do a search and get one and you can print off workout sheets to help keep up with reps and weight used.

I'm excited for you, look forward to your progress. If you belong to Beachbody.com you can find me there as 1fitmimi
  #162   ^
Old Sun, Oct-24-10, 16:00
4 phases Use them

here is the link to some nice p90x worksheets

http://teambeachbody.com/get-fit/fi.../workout-sheets
  #163   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 10:23

BF:

Yup, still got all the books, worksheets (the link makes it easier to get add'l worksheets too, thanks John).

Come to think of it, there is one thing I'm changing about this - going to ignore the no doubt high-carb diet and stick to my mostly Primal/VLC plan (I'm very adapted to ketosis; no worries about energy levels).

All I need now is a cheap DVD player for the TV in the workout room. I'd use the computer except that the WR is VERY dusty *sneeze* as it used to be a shop of sorts.
  #164   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 11:23

LOL i hear you on staying lowcarb. I did find that in the second phase I did have to up carbs slightly. For me eating 5 mini meals seemed to help keep me energized also.
  #165   ^
Old Mon, Oct-25-10, 19:56

BF:

Goodness, xturkeylady, looking at your Beachbody link, I've got a high standard to reach. I'm 48, about your age. I haven't been in peak shape since about '97 and only so-so since!