Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Exercise Forums: Active Low-Carbers > Advanced/High Intensity
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 10:52

Plan: mostly paleo
Stats: //
BF:also don't care
Progress: 100%

Dan, thanks for these great long posts. After reading this one a few weeks ago, I added side bridges to my ab workout--wow, are they hard! Hard in a fun way, but really a challenge to hold for increasing seconds every week.

Also, after reading this post, I tried preacher curls...and realized that on a preacher curls I can do the same weight as standing curls...which reassured me that I must be using good form on regular standing curls--reasonable conclusion, IYO?
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 17:47

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default creatine

Dan,
I'm sure you're familiar with a supplement called "creatine." My understanding is that it promotes lean muscle growth by allowing greater absorbtion of nutrients. I have heard that taking it with a glass of grape juice enhances its effect. It is also available in a product called "cell-tech" which contains dextrose/creatine.

I have 2 questions Dan: 1. does it work? 2. is it safe?

Can I look at creatine like I would vitamins or mineral supplements? I do want to get the most out of the effort I put into my workouts - but not if it means compromising my health and well being. That is a price I am not willing to pay. Your thoughts please. dankar
  #18   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 18:33

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%

May I add on to Dankar's question, do women take creatine? I mean the kind of women who like being women.

Dankar, I wonder if you have seen these other creatine threads from TrainerDan:

The main creatine thread

Creatine and CKD

Creatine and LC

Creatine and LC and CKD

Allison

Last edited by allisonm : Thu, Mar-21-02 at 18:50.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, Mar-21-02, 21:10

Stats: 173/148/150 Male 5' 7"
BF:
Progress: 109%
Default Thanks Allison...

Thanks Allison, There is certainly alot of information in the links you gave me. From what I've read so far it seems creatine monohydrate, in a pure powder form, initially taken in a larger dose (loaded) and then daily in a smaller dose with water is one way to go. An insulin spike seems to be necessary to transport the CM to the muscle tissue and therefore a high carb liquid, such as grape juice, would be effective. I also saw that an initial water weight gain can be expected.
From what Trainerdan says , though, the benefits seem to be significant. One thought that I had after quickly going through the info - is there a real gain in mass or does it just cause a good pump due to additional fluid retention? I'll keep reading. Thanks again. dankar

Last edited by dankar : Fri, Mar-22-02 at 04:28.
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 18:20

Plan: Zone
Stats: 255/242/230 Male 75 inches (6'3")
BF:21%/15%/8%
Progress: 52%
Default creatine

Creatine CAN be used by women, and it is one of the most studies and safe supplements out there that actually works.

Creatine with a carb source does promote greater absorbption, but is NOT necessary.

Neither is a loading dose.

A 5 gram daily dose will promote greater ATP/CP resynthesis, which will give you the ability to do a few more reps at a give weight than you could previously. THAT is where it promotes lean gains ... indirectly.

It's kinda like adding an nitrous oxide to your car. It will give you more power, but it is short lived.

As we all know, more intenisty in the gym = greater gains in lean mass. Creatine will provide your muscles with the fuel it needs to lift more weight/do more reps. This will lead to more muscle gains ... provided the rest of the equation in complete (nutrition, training, rest).
  #21   ^
Old Sat, Mar-23-02, 21:46

Plan: Atkins/PP
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks for the reply Dan. I've heard of such incredible results with creatine that I was afraid to try. I think I'll still wait until I finish this rash of job interviews I'm in. I'm envisioning that 1970s program the Incredible Hulk - his muscles used to tear right through his business suit! I can't have that happening.

Allison
  #22   ^
Old Sun, Mar-24-02, 13:14

Default LOL

Well, results from creatine aren't quite THAT dramatic, but you should feel stronger in the gym.

I remember the HULK well ... showing my age ... LOL

That said, some people are "Creatine non-responders". That is, some people do not respond to creatine.

It is worth a shot to see if it works for you though.
  #23   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 11:44

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/193/200
BF:
Progress: 128%

Here's a question for Trainerdan: Now that I've reached my goal and I still look flabby, I'm trying to figure out how best to spend the 40 minutes a day I have for exercise. My friends are big weightrainers, and they swear that if I keep lifting, even for only 40 minutes, the fat and loose skin will burn away. But I am reluctant to abandon the cardio, as that's what brung me.

What about some of both? How would you mix it up? Or would you?

As muc has I would like to build some muscle mass, even if it meant gaining a little weight back, I have to be certain I won't sacrifice the hard-earned gut busting I've already done.
  #24   ^
Old Mon, Aug-19-02, 08:16

Stats: 170/170/140
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default Batwings / Dinner Lady Arms

Dan - could you please advise the best exercise for unsighly upper arm wobble. I am the same age as Madonna but I certainly don't have her fantastic arm shape (okay okay - I know I don't have a personal trainer...)!! Your advice would be most appreciated - also, how long before I can expect to see results. Big thanks!!
  #25   ^
Old Wed, Aug-21-02, 12:41

Default answers

DWB - Adding weight training ... INTENSE weight training is probably the best thing you could do. If you build the muscles in the areas you are "loose", you can fill up the loose skin and make it taut again.

Also, even though the scale may register a weight gain from lifting weights, keep in mind that the addition is LEAN muscle mass, which is active tissue and will serve to further increase metabolism. I can't think of a better way to ensure against fat regain. LOL.

To work weights and cardio into your routine, I would say lift weights 3 days per week on non-consecutive days.

On the days you are not lifting weights, do your cardio as you have been.

Try it for two weeks and check in with me on the results and how you feel, etc.

VONNIE - Madonna (as well as Janet Jackson) has great medial delt development, as well as some killer triceps. That's what gives them their look to their arms. It is a lack of triceps development that causes the "wobble" in most women.

Place extra emphesis on these areas during your weight training and in 4 - 6 weeks you should see things changing.
  #26   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 03:38

Stats: 170/170/140
BF:
Default Arms

Big thanks Dan - most appreciated - I will concentrate on that area as per your advice 3 / 4 times a week. I will let you know how I get on.....
  #27   ^
Old Thu, Aug-22-02, 04:53

Default for now ...

No problem Vonnie.

For now, do the isolation work 2x per week at most, along with a full body routine. You still need to allow the muscles to recover from the exercise.

Make sure to take a rest day bewteen weight training workouts, and never work the muscles if they are still sore from the previous workout.

Have fun!
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Aug-23-02, 22:43
Registered Member

Plan: Combo of PP & CKD
Stats: 380/380/195 Male 6'3"
BF:
Default TrainerDan...question

My doctor has told me that i should do weight training because it well pack on muscle and thus make null my fat mass loss. I want to know if there are excersies that i can do to help lose that fat and keep me from bulking up.

I purchased a home gym from sears yesterday...please give me your thoughts about it.

And also what kind of exercises i should do.

thanks dude.
  #29   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 06:19
Registered Member

Plan: lots of meat
Stats: 00/00/00 Female 5 10"
BF:goal: 17%
Progress: 41%
Default sizeable glutes!

Hello! I want to build large gluteal muscles, mine are small, it runs in my family. Long legs and a small rear and I want to build those muscles as large as possible. My question is what type of exercises build them larger? I am not interested in "firming and minimizing" I don't need that.

Right now I do lunges, good mornings, squats in my once a week leg workout. During the week regularly I do buttups (where you thrust the pelvis up) and hike or sprint up a steep mountain almost every day.

I know I'm working my butt, how do I adjust these exercises to make it bigger? I've heard squats are best, but i think my form is off because I don't feel it.

Any advice is appreciated!
Meg
  #30   ^
Old Tue, Oct-22-02, 06:39

Plan: atkins
Stats: 225/193/200
BF:
Progress: 128%

I actually know the answer to this, but I don't remember how I know! The best exercise for growing the gluteal muscles is ice - or roller-skating. Take a look at the hams on those speed skaters sometime--they didn't get that big from jogging on Sundays!

While it's kind of tough to duplicate the workout those skaters get from the constant laps and sprints they do, you can always pony up for some in-line skates and hit the park.

One note: From what I understand, the posture of these skaters makes the glutes the primary muscle group rather than the thighs. Since you can't really bend over like that just doing loops, you night want to find some hills and push up those on skates.