Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 08:39
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%
Unhappy Hair Loss

Well I lost all the weight I gained on vacation plus 2 more lbs in one week!! Yeah!! However, have a question, I have noticed in the last 3-4 weeks I have been losing/shedding a lot of hair. Could this be a side effect of the Atkins diet? It wouldn't seem so since I eat so much protein, but was wondering if anyone else has had this happen.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 09:20

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 325/308/200
BF:
Progress: 14%

You know, when I got my hair cut last week, the hairdresser asked me if I had had a baby recently because my hair was falling out in and unusually large amount and in a pattern typical to hormonal hair loss. I had a baby just over a year ago and she said that could be it, that often hair loss happens a few months postpartum, and that a second round hits at about the one year mark, so I never thought much more about it. It is starting to slow down again (or else the haircut made it less noticeable), but I did not even think of attributing it to atkins? who knows? I'm interested in any other responses you get.

Mari
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jul-24-01, 09:29

Plan: AHP&FP
Stats: 197/125/137 Female 5' 6"
BF:42%/22%/21%
Progress: 120%

*shrugs*

I have always shed a great deal of hair my whole life. Surprised I am not bald yet.

I doubt it is due to the diet, considering the vitamins/minerals we take and all the protein. I haven't a clue on this one.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 17:24

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%
Default vitamins, anyone ?

I've noticed i'm shedding more hair too - but i'm not sure if it's my imagination or not. (I usually shed alot anyway) However it could be b/c i wasn't taking my vitamins as I should have been. I've gone back to taking my vitamins daily.
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 19:32

Stats: 244/220/170 Female 65.4inches
BF:
Progress: 32%

I have heard of this happening to people on Atkins Induction and also read in other places that any sudden weight loss can cause some increased hair loss. The follicles tend to shut down and the most mature hair falls out then it takes a while till the next one starts growing. I hope someone else has reaad this - I'll try to find the reference. It does stop and reverse itself.

BarB
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 20:25

Stats: 183/143/140
BF:
Progress: 93%

Well here I thought I was the only one on this. I have long hair and never had much hair falling out before this LC wol. Lately it has been happening and freaking me out some. Seems to tangle a lot also.

My daughter said her hair is falling out lots more too...she too has long hair and follows this woe. She thought, on no maybe the diet, but then thought about...which...believe it or not quieten me down about the subject. Her thoughts are.... You know, dogs shed in the summer time with the heat. Our hair probably does the same thing??? (I know, funny explanation, but hey she gave it her best...LOL)

I like Barb's reasoning better, please see if you can see anything written on this, it would be much appreciated. Every morning when brushing my hair out I look at all the loose strands, and quietly try to put it out of my mind, but its not going!
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jul-25-01, 23:46
Forum Founder

Plan: Ketogenic
Stats: -/-/- Female 5 feet 4 inches
BF:
Progress: 100%

I've read about hair loss on ASDL-C happening with newbies and oit causes them alarm. They have reported that the hair does grow back. I seem to have a lot of gray hair falling out. Maybe it will be replaced by brown hair?

Could it be fat hair that your losing, soon to be replaced by healthy, new, fit and trim hair?

I think I like Barb's explanation better!

Karen
  #8   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 04:14
Forum Founder

Plan: LC paleo/ancestral
Stats: 241/188/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 52%

I've always had thin hair, and yes I noticed that I seemed to be shedding more. But the problem for me was breakage, not that the hair was actually falling out from the follicles in the scalp. And the new growth that replaced it has been strong and great condition. (of course, then I go and fry it with a perm!.. )

Normally, hair and skin cells are completely renewed and replaced every 4 to 6 weeks. Stress - even good stress - can affect the growth of hair cells in the follicles, causing the hair strand to actually fall out, or the new hair that grows will be weakened and brittle at that particular point, and thus will break. An abrupt change in diet can potentially "stress" the system enough to cause such changes. But with the 4 to 6 week cell growth, you won't notice a change in your hair until a month or two into the new diet.

If the thinning is at the scalp level, and you're noticing bald areas, this may indicate some other health problem ... low thyroid springs to mind.

Biotin is a good idea ... also a source of essential fatty acids such as flax or fish oils, or best of all, a blended mix of nutritional oils, such as Udo's Choice, which provides a balance of omega-3, 6 and 9.

Doreen
  #9   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 10:00

Plan: Atkins(minus fiber)
Stats: 175/160/140
BF:
Progress: 43%

well it is true during the summer months we shed more. As my mom always said, it's good to shed, it's like a tree, you cut the branches and stronger 'hair' grows through. i'm not gonna worry unless it is something noticeable and not my imagination
  #10   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 12:05
Pending Member

Plan: Adkins
Stats: 186/150/135
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default Hair anyone?

Gee, mine is so thick I could stand to lose a bit. I'd be happy to pass it on to those who need some... hehehe

Actually, I haven't noticed any more of mine coming out.

Shirley
Florida
  #11   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 14:33
Registered Member

Plan: atkins
Stats: 208.5/168/125
BF:
Progress: 49%
Default Hair Loss

Thanks for all the responses!! My hair loss doesn't appear to be from breakage and I'm seeing the effects around the rim of my face. I started taking biotin about 3-4 weeks ago and of course started vitamins this week. I thought about the summer shedding theory but being here in Florida it got hot a long time ago(!) and believe it would have started shedding back in April or May. Hopefully there will be new growth and based on your replies it will be better than ever. We'll see...... if it doesn't slow down soon, however, a trip to the dermatologist may be in order.

Thanks again!!
  #12   ^
Old Thu, Jul-26-01, 21:53

BF:

I've been keeping my eyes on this thread..as my worry has deepened too. No breakage here either, but hanging in there. I am actually thinking if this keep going on, I will go and get the drastic cut I didn't want to do until the time comes...you know..when one looks older and shouldn't have long hair anymore....LOL

Quietly, I am hoping...is it Barb???? to do the research.....if I had more time...I would. Time..doesn't it suck.....

I haven't been to the doctors it seems in months..amazing what summer does to one...put things on hold sort of speak.

If I don't get any answers, I suppose a visit to the doctors would be a good one...plus get my Dr. Atkins book back....LOL

Come on folks...if some of us has this problem..and some of us have time....then lets check it out....So we can all rest our minds...
  #13   ^
Old Sat, Jul-28-01, 18:33

Stats: 175/155/130
BF:
Progress:

Hello everyone!

I too am experiencing the hair loss. However, I never thought it was the diet because it happened to me once before I went on the diet. The last time, I had quit taking the pill. Three months later, Wham!, the hair just jumped out of my scalp. It was most distressing. Just handfuls and handfuls. Luckily, I have a LOT of hair to begin with. I (and my mom, of course) was the only one who noticed. This was in winter, so the summer shedding theory is out the window. Plus, this is a LOT more loss than shedding.

It is happening again, but I haven't been on the pill for a while. I think going on the diet causes a hormonal shift of some sort. My TOM has been erratic as well. I am hoping that it straightens itself out soon or I will be bald!

It is good to know that I am not alone!

Hugs!
gypsy
  #14   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 07:41

BF:

I noticed my *Thang* is different too. I was shopping the other day with a Client and all of a sudden I thought my insides were going to fall out....Freaked me out, never had that kind of flow before?

MSM is a supplement I have been told that is good for a lot of things and hair is one of them. Just wanted to share this info as when I get a chance to go to the shops I will be looking into this.(I would like to keep whats left of my hair...lol)
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Jul-29-01, 10:58

Stats: 162/162/135
BF:
Progress: 0%

lora of lowcarb luxury addressed this issue in her april 11th newsletter. http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/newsle...07.html#letters
it was the explanation i'd been waiting for!