Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 17:47

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Question How to Do Low Carb with no Gall Bladder

I have a good friend who, at the insistence of his physician, recently had his gall bladder removed. He lost a lot of weight (almost 100 lbs.) very quickly on Atkins, and his M.D. says that he has seen gall bladder problems a lot in patients who lose weight quickly.

The problem is that he is now being counselled that he cannot eat large quantities of fat. What's to do? You can't live on pure protein. Is anyone out there in the low carb community successfuly maintaining a low carb lifestyle with no gall bladder?
If so, how have you had to adjust your diet?

Jim
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 18:25

Plan: Bernstein Diabetes Soluti
Stats: 260/-/145 Female 5' 3"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi Jim!

I haven't had a gallbladder for over 9 years and the only advice on eating my surgeon gave me after surgery was to eat whatever I wanted and if something bothered me, to avoid it. So far, I haven't had a bit of trouble following low carb with fat percentages up to 70% some days. Only about 10% of people need to adjust their diets following gallbladder surgery, so hopefully your friend will be in the 90% that don't have to make any changes.
I think my surgeon gave me sound advice. Listen to your body. If you can eat normal low carb and not have a problem, why change it? If the higher fat causes a problem, try decresing it until you feel comfortable or your symptoms subside.
FWIW, I don't think your friend will have to subsist on pure protein even without a gallbladder. Most people can tolerate some level of fat after surgery and which veggies are tolerated vary from person to person. Peppers are the only thing that really bother me and that's no real hardship to give up because I wasn't all that crazy about them anyway.
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Apr-12-03, 20:48

Plan: south beach (CAD)
Stats: 314/284/150 Female 5 ft 4 in
BF:49
Progress: 18%

I don't have my gallbladder either. My doctor gave me no warning about fat. The only thing that the gall bladder does is store and slightly modify bile. It is the liver that produces bile-so removing the gall bladder does not interfere with bile production. There is no reason that anyone should not be able to handle dietary fat without a gall bladder.
  #4   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 01:35

Plan: my own
Stats: 253/176.0/153 Female 5 feet 7 inches
BF:
Progress: 77%

HI......I haven't had a gall bladder for 15 years now, and have never had a problem eating anything or following the low carb diet now. My doctor never warned about anything either and so far I haven't found anything that bothers me.
  #5   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 07:12

Plan: Atkins/Bernstein
Stats: 165/153.5/130
BF:
Progress: 33%

Jim;

I lost my gall bladder last summer! NO PROBLEM on low carb with tons of FAT.

I noticed that your doing Bernstein -- Are you a diabetic? What most impressed me is that you is that your one pound away from you goal. (that must feel great)

Gamache
  #6   ^
Old Sun, Apr-13-03, 13:03

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 175/174/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi Jim,

I've been without a gallbladder for the past 4 years (also diabetic). I haven' had any problems with fat and I eat quite a bit of it.
  #7   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 09:33

Plan: Bernstein
Stats: 203/171/170
BF:
Progress: 97%
Default Thanks, Guys!

Low Carb Friends-

All your feedback much appreciated. I'll forward a link to this thread to Dave, my gall bladderless buddy.

Yes, Gamache, I am diabetic although the ADA would call my condition "impaired glucose tolerance". I started Dr. B's diet to control my blood sugar and reverse the mild diabetic complications that were developing.

I went to about 168 and then gained back about 5 pounds. My weight is very stable now at around 172-174 on a very low carb regimen of no more than 30 grams CHO per day. Everybody says I look good and I feel great, so I'm leaving it alone. Maybe I should edit the goal in my profile.

BTW, have you all heard about the CCARB study at the Albert Einstein School of Medicine? I'm participating. Here's the URL:

https://epi.aecom.yu.edu/studies/cc....asp?studyID=2/

Anyone who's been on a low carb diet for at least two months within the last two years is eligible to participate. Let's all help get the word out! The study is funded by the Atkins Foundation.

Jim
  #8   ^
Old Mon, Apr-14-03, 20:22

Plan: Dr. Atkins
Stats: 175/174/125 Female 5'4"
BF:
Progress: 2%

Hi Jim,

It's great the kind of help and support you get around here isn't it?

Thank you so much for the link to the CCARB study. I just have to get my paperwork in and I will be a part of it too. I felt that this was one way to help enlighten the medical community to the benefits of LC and in some small way I would be giving something back to Dr Atkins for probably saving my life.

Thanks again :-)
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-23-03, 11:47

Plan: Modified Atkins
Stats: 305/280/155
BF:
Progress: 17%
Default No gallbladder

Hmm, I had my gallbladder removed over a year ago. I've restarted the low carb diet last Saturday. And I will say that if I eat a greasy hotdog, I get pains right where the gallbladder was. But bacon goes down fine. So it must just be whatever your body can handle without complaining.

I definitely won't be eating many hotdogs for a while.

~Mistwalker
  #10   ^
Old Fri, Apr-25-03, 19:16
Registered Member

Plan: general low carb
Stats: 169/156/140 Female 5 ft 5 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%

My gallbladder was taken out 10 years ago and Ive never really had a problen digesting any kind of food.
  #11   ^
Old Sat, Nov-14-09, 19:45

Plan: South Beach
Stats: 165/165/140 Female 152 cm
BF:
Progress:

When I had my gallbladder removed about 10 years ago my weekly migraines stopped and I haven't had a headache since! I do find though that if I eat too much fat I get bad diarrhea. I am also lactose intolerant but can manage a bit of cheese but not every day. I drink soy milk and eat Bulgarian fetta cheese which is made from sheeps milk.