Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Apr-24-12, 07:21
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 31%
Default breastfeeding and losing weight 2012

I know there are a few here at least who are breastfeeding and doing some kind of LC plans.
lets get together and share some ideas and motivate each other.
for me,i gained 50# during preg(240#).Lost 30 so far(9 weeks)but we know thats mostly water weight.I am stuck on 211-212 for a month.
My goal is reaching 145-148.A size range 2-4-6 is fine.
but for now I have a short term goal of 200.Then another goal of 180.
its so hard when the scale is stcuck like that.
With my dd1 I never watched any carbs/calories and just ate healhthy i lost 63# in a year.
this time is so slooooow.but i don't want to do anything drastic and risk my supply for a number on the scale or a dress size.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, May-08-12, 08:19

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

hi! im here! i have a 18 month old avid nurser, and 4, 6 & 9 year olds as well! i joined up in january. since then i have lost quite a bit, im in smaller clothes, i have moved houses, become a single parent in a way that i wasn't before (though i was not living with their dad, he was around a lot) and started a new (slow) relationship and a new job. its intense and amazing how fast change happens when you ask for it.

my goal weight is 150, so i have a LONG way to go, but i feel confident that if i continue doing this for the right reasons i will get there. my hope is by january of 2013. 54.4 lbs to go.. so that would be about 1.5 lbs a week, which is doable i hope!

how are you doing with your journey primrose?

i have taken about a month hiatus, but i So want to get under 200lbs (its been years) and im So close!! i feel like of i can get there i will be so happy, it will just snowball. so here in me hoping!

yesterday i had a super clean day. today i hope for the same.
  #3   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 07:12
Registered Member

BF:

welcome aboard Greenfern!

well I was starting to wonder no nursing mamas are here.
for me I am still stuck at the same weight about 2 months now.
I have 3 ways to go and am still deciding.One is to go very LC like 20-30 but risk losing supply.Aot of women say they lost their suplly when VLC.2nd option is stay moderate 60-120 range.Some plans I am thinking is Atkins maintenance,SB,IR diet etc.
A third option is go higher in carbs and calories.My reason for that is with my dd1 I ate a lot of food.I was roughly following Brewers diet.no carb calorie restriction.i ate to hunger.And I lost like crazy.fat was melting off of me.This time i am too conscious.I wonder if I eat that way I'll start losing again?Plus I cud use some increase in supply.But on the other hand I don't want to gain anymore,I feel so heavy and achy already with all this fat.My back is killing me too.
I am just wondering if my body is in starvation mode although I am eating OK,and holding onto fat.Bcoz the other week I ate a decent High protein LC diet with lots of veggies and healthy stuff still stalled out.
I am even thinking of Weight Watchers nursing program just for a month or so to see if increasing carbs and calories might work.But then again it might not and I may end up with another 30# .Well I want to cry now.
Even if I could just drop a 20,at least that will get me out of this maternity clothes.
Or my fourth not so favorite but safer option,just stay right where I am until dd weans(which i plan in another 2-3 years only)
I am sorry long rant....
Wow you have a lot going on...I know moving was always hard for me.Plus relationship changes.You have your hands pretty full.Good luck .what exercises are you doing now?
  #4   ^
Old Wed, May-09-12, 08:04

BF:

Thanks!

I hear you on the sticky weight! Im still over 200lbs and i Am so tired of feeling fat. It seems to be working for me to be LC, some days VLC other days eating more fats and more carbs.. im not really super sure what works best for me yet, so im experimenting. i know i cannot have any gluten or wheat foods or it throws me into a bingeing spree. i know that the LC i eat the more energy i have but i have never tried for NC and i dont actually count my carbs on a regular basis. i should probably! nursing has alwats been one of those things that limits how my body lets fat go. im actually considering weaning my baby, which makes me mad at myself, because it seems self serving, but i have been nursing going on 10 years and im tired and my body feels depleted (despite being fat)

exercise, i walk a LOT. like between 4-6 km a day most days and i have been hulla hooping daily and jogging a bit. i need more cardio but im having a hard time finding time. maybe work out video's? there is lots of fun stuff here in my small town, but im a single mom of 4 and finding a way to do it is a challenge to say the least.
  #5   ^
Old Thu, May-10-12, 18:12
Registered Member

BF:

was just looking at some studies on breastfeeding and losing weight:
Maternal weightıloss patterns during prolonged lactation
......no difference in weight loss between breast-feeding
and formula-feeding mothers from 1 to 3 mo, but a highly significant difference from 3 to 6 mo postpartum. This suggests
that women should breast-feed for  6 mo ifthey expect lactation
to enhance weight loss. These findings agree with those of Ohlin and Rossner ( 1 ). who observed that the impact of breast-feeding on weight loss was greatest from 2.5 to 6 mo postpartum. We
speculate that the delayed effects oflactation on maternal weight
are related to the influence of serum prolactin concentrations
on appetite. In the first few months prolactin concentrations are
high ( 12, 1 3). which would lead to high energy intakes that would
balance the high energy demands oflactation. Later in lactation,
prolactin concentrations normally decline even though energy
output in milk is still considerable; this would result in reduced
appetite relative to energy demands and thus greater weight loss."
ok that explains my ravenous hunger pangs...
  #6   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 09:03

Plan: general LC
Stats: 191/140/133 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 88%

Breastfeeding makes me waaay hungrier than pregnancy ever did. Up until about a month ago I was easily consuming 2500-3000 (or more!) calories daily. The first few months after my baby was born, nursing sessions would actually kill my appetite for a short while, making me nauseous even, this is an effect of the oxytocin that is released when the baby suckles.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, May-11-12, 09:23

BF:

im past that hunger phase, but early on for sure.; my DD still nurses a lot too. i guess eventually your body self regulates.

im starting a 30 day whole food challenge today. anyone want to join?
  #8   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 12:53
Registered Member

BF:

I was planning on a controlled high carb and reduce the carbs every week if I am not losing.See how far I can go either way.but me and baby came down with a fever and cold.also found out the soy shake I was drinking doesn't agree with her.I have to switch to coconut milk which i don't care for that much.
  #9   ^
Old Mon, May-14-12, 15:57

BF:

Hope she gets better fast! I couldn't have soy till my kids were about a year old.. I think its common allergen for babies.
  #10   ^
Old Thu, May-17-12, 13:05

Stats: 232/208.8/154 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Nursing my two day old son here!!! How do you notice food allergies in babies?

I am stuffing myself with veggies, fruits, cheese, yogurt and low carb meals. I made almond butter banana paleo bread and blueberry almond flour muffins a few months ago to thaw. I only weigh 4 lbs less than before I went to the hospital... So puffy!!!!
  #11   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 07:09
Registered Member

BF:

food allergies show up in a variety of ways....my dd had these strange dry rashes on her knees that were clear b4.
i look up google images like eczema,hives,milia,cradle cap..mind you some pics are really gross...but u get an idea.
BTW babycenter has a slideshow on different poops...gross but very helpful.
i puffed up too.just drink alot of water it will go away in a few weeks.
  #12   ^
Old Fri, May-18-12, 12:59

BF:

Both my boys has newborn rashes but they vanished on their own last time. How many carbs should I stick to in the beginning? I'm only four days postpartum and starving!!!

I also bought mothers milk tea (and still have red raspberry leaf tea)
  #13   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 11:51

Plan: C:12 P:60 F:satiety
Stats: 220/177.6/142 Female 5'5
BF:0/0/0
Progress: 54%

im 3weeks pp now.. i think that maintenance carbs are recommended for bf'ing moms. i havent started lowcarbing again yet but plan to when this growth spurt/ nursing marathon eases up a bit. i've been eating clean but not restricting cals or carbs as i have been ravenously hungry the past three wks. also slowly losing wt despite my appetite. gotta love breastfeeding
  #14   ^
Old Sun, May-20-12, 21:06

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by walnut
im 3weeks pp now.. i think that maintenance carbs are recommended for bf'ing moms. i havent started lowcarbing again yet but plan to when this growth spurt/ nursing marathon eases up a bit. i've been eating clean but not restricting cals or carbs as i have been ravenously hungry the past three wks. also slowly losing wt despite my appetite. gotta love breastfeeding

I am starving too. I have been tracking carbs and eating between 50-150. My calories have been between 2300-2900! Insane. I have dropped 9 lbs since birth, hoping to keep dropping water weight these next few weeks (my calves and feet are super swollen).

Breastfeeding is going so well, he's such a little champ. Forgot about the toe curling feeling when latch happens for the first week or two!