Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Support Focus Groups > LC Parenting & Pregnancy
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Sat, Nov-12-11, 09:27

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 171/151/143 Female 68 inches
BF:
Progress: 71%
Default getting back to low carb

I'm glad I found this post. My daughter is 7 weeks old and started weight watchers 3 weeks ago thinking it would be a better route to take while breast feeding. I stuck to the diet but only lost a pound, which I likely would have lost anyway while breastfeeding. With WWs new point system you can have unlimited fruit, which is where I think things didn't work. I ate a ton of bananas on top of my points - in short a ton of carbs. I just think I do better on low carb.

I'm going to do between 20-30 carbs a day and see how that goes. I was planning to wait until after the holidays but I'd like to be able to fit in my bigger work closes when I go back in Dec. Wish me luck.
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 11:55

Plan: lchf
Stats: 244/226.5/165 Female 68 in
BF:
Progress: 22%

I had a great milk supply and nursed exclusively. But, I was gaining weight back so I went back on low carb and lost my milk (baby was 9 months old, she is now 11 months). We've been limping along ever since (I nurse her in the morning but there's not much more than that) and it never came back, even with Fenugreek, lots of water, oatmeal, etc... all the "staples" for upping your supply.

Bummer.

Maybe next time I will be low carb from the start. I dropped it when I got pregnant (and I was okay with that) but when the baby came I was so wiped out I just ate whatever I was brought and I truly didn't care, LOL.
  #18   ^
Old Fri, Dec-30-11, 12:24

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

I'm going to be lc and breastfeeding myself. Hopefully from the start.
  #19   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 06:10

Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:
Progress: 31%

Well, breastfeeding and eating whatever I want has brought my weight up considerably. My daughter still nurses, but is on solids now too, so I feel safe with her losing a feed or two...

My start weight for this low carb episode is 180.4, which basically mean I am stuck at the weight gain in pregnancy (I went from 146 to 195) because I was put on strict bedrest for quite a bit, and was not able to do much in the way of exercise) I figured I would be able to easily lose, and did get down to 170, but old habits die hard (chocolate) and I gained it back. With Christmas being over, I am going to take a stab and see what happens.

I am going to keep carbs a bit higher than induction, just because I am worried my supply will go byebye right off the hop...
  #20   ^
Old Sat, Dec-31-11, 07:55

Plan: Atkins, hCG Diet
Stats: 168/120/120 Female 64 inches
BF:30%/25%/23%
Progress: 100%

I am a big believer is an VLC lifestyle (even while pregnant or BF). Having had gestational diabedes with both by pregnancies I know carbs can reek havoc for some moms and it is best to get rid of them by an large.

I lose weight quickly at 20g or less a day. The more carbs I eat the slower the loses, till finally a stall ensues. The carb creep is a very real enemy to those trying to keep moving down the scale! I have recommitted to induction (day 6 today) and am down 4+ pounds and 14 lbs from a strech goal of 125. So close I can taste it! At 39 yrs old and after 2 pregnancies, I didn't think it was possible to get back to my 25 yr old weight. Now I know it is possible. My body will be different looking/feeling but that is OK. At least I finally know what it is at the root of my weight issues all those years - insulin sensitivity. And the solution = high protein & high fat & LOW carb! Good luck to all of you mommies.
  #21   ^
Old Sun, Jan-01-12, 07:03

Stats: 203/186/148 Female 164 cm
BF:

Well, I'm on day three of my not quite induction start, and I'm down 6 pounds. Yay me!

I am keeping yogurt and not really eliminating fruits/veggies at all (I shared a banana with baby yesterday) so I fully expect to have my weight loss stall out. I basically want to stay above ketosis for as long as I bf, so starting at a level of at least 50g should be ok, especially with bf requiring extra calories to maintain.

So, this will be 4 1/2month experiment.
  #22   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 12:29
Dr. Atkins was Right

Plan: Atkins (Breastfeeding)
Stats: 221/188.6/150 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 46%

Hello, and best wishes to all of you who are trying this! Here's one more perspective for you.

I've been low-carbing since late April, and am breastfeeding a toddler who will be 2 next month. I never had a problem with milk supply, but I did discover some concerns about keeping up the rapid weight loss. According to this article from the La Leche site,

Quote:
....there are documented concerns when a breastfeeding mother loses weight rapidly, defined as more than a pound (.45 kg) per week. Toxins, such as environmental contaminants PCBs and pesticides, are stored in body fat. When a breastfeeding mother loses weight rapidly, these toxins may be released into her bloodstream, and the toxin levels in her milk may increase. Rapid weight loss has also been linked to a decrease in milk supply.

That bit about environmental contaminants especially concerned me, since I don't always eat organic. I started upping the carbs, and let myself have the Phase 3 list. I'm now eating 40-70 net carbs/day, and losing slowly. I'm content with that.

Last edited by Frugal Jen : Tue, Jan-03-12 at 12:38.
  #23   ^
Old Tue, Jan-03-12, 13:34

Plan: Keto
Stats: 219/201.4/145 Female 5foot7 1/4 inches
BF:
Progress: 24%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frugal Jen
Hello, and best wishes to all of you who are trying this! Here's one more perspective for you.

I've been low-carbing since late April, and am breastfeeding a toddler who will be 2 next month. I never had a problem with milk supply, but I did discover some concerns about keeping up the rapid weight loss. According to this article from the La Leche site,

That bit about environmental contaminants especially concerned me, since I don't always eat organic. I started upping the carbs, and let myself have the Phase 3 list. I'm now eating 40-70 net carbs/day, and losing slowly. I'm content with that.

Very good point! This is the reason I have not done any cleanses in years. I have been pregnant or breastfeeding for nearly 10 years.
  #24   ^
Old Tue, Jan-10-12, 11:27

Plan: Atkins-ish
Stats: 223/207/180 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 37%

I'm breastfeeding my fourth child (4 mos old). In the past with low-carb my milk has decreased so this time just cutting out grains, sugar and corn. Eating all whole foods. It's going very well...haven't weighed but clothes feeling looser for sure. Plus I feel so much better and more "in control" if that makes sense.
  #25   ^
Old Thu, Jan-19-12, 21:28

Stats: 178/165/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Hi ladies-

I'm so glad to find other LCing BFing moms! I'm BFing my 4 month old and toddler. I've always LC'd in the past while BFing and I've never had problems w/ supply. So many moms I know feel like they have to wean in order to diet, but I eat so much healthier when I'm LCing, I think my little ones really benefit. I do wish my weight loss was a little faster (10 pounds in 2 months), but I don't want to be too hard on my body and lose weight too quickly. I LC'd while pregnant and only gained just under 30 pounds, so when I get frustrated that I'm not losing weight faster, I try to focus on that!

Good luck everyone, hope you and your little ones are doing well!
  #26   ^
Old Sun, Apr-15-12, 12:29

Plan: regular old low carb
Stats: 160/154/120 Female 60 inches
BF:
Progress: 15%

Hi all! I am bfing my 5 month old and just started lc again last week. I had great sauces with lc pre-pregnancy eating 10-20 carbs/day. I am eating 25-30 carbs/day now. How many carbs do other bfing moms eat? I have lost 3lbs this first week and am hoping that will slow down a bit. I'd like to aim for 1lb/week. I never imagined I'd be worried about loosing weight too fast but here I am! I saw the LLL article and the bit about toxins did make me cringe. To my surprise my milk supply has not dropped at all. I am constantly hungry and have to be careful to spread my carbs throughout the day or I get shaky. I have been eating an insane amount of meat I am so happy to see that others have been successful with lc while breastfeeding!
  #27   ^
Old Mon, Apr-16-12, 16:34

Plan: Paleo/atkins
Stats: 289/155/150 Female 5'7
BF:
Progress: 96%

That's great to hear you're having such success. I'm due in about a month and I'm planning on breastfeeding while lc too.
  #28   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 11:35
Registered Member

Stats: 241/211/145 Female 5'6"
BF:

I would think the toxins and losing your supply studies need more research .here 's why.
with my first dd,I was so wiped out she had colic etc I NEVER dieted whatsoever ate whatever was available to me and was never watching carbs or calories.I did try eating more veggies/fruit and lots of diary if anything.I lost pounds like crazy .first 4 months I lost 47 pounds!!
I had ample supply too.dd went from 7 pounds to 16 pounds in that time!! I did take fenugreek though.If the above study is true I should have lost my supply just like that.but my body was doing it naturally.
now my second dd,its a whole different story,everything is frustatingly opposite.I am stuck,I am doing moderate lc and supply is low.
breezymom how many carbs do you do?and wud you mind posting a sample menu
  #29   ^
Old Sun, Apr-22-12, 12:48

Stats: 178/165/135 Female 5'8"
BF:
Progress: 30%

Primrose26: I try to stick to about 20 carbs. I've been stalled lately, though, because of problems with my thyroid and trying to get on some meds that will help. I'm not good at remembring what I eat, but I focus mostly on protein and veggies and make sure that I'm also getting enough fat.
  #30   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-12, 16:32

Stats: 294.6/276.2/170 Female 5 7
BF:
Progress: 15%

Thanks guys for the info. I am also bf and doing lc. Everything I read is against it. But I am very heavy and if I dont do something I am going to go overboard. I love lc lifestyle! My supply has dropped a little, even though I am taking fenugreek, but my baby is 6 months old and is very healthy, to say the least. Hahaha! She loves anything you put in her mouth! LOL!

I seem to be doing ok. But I have been averaging about 50-100 carbs per day and losing very slowly. I am wanting to drop lower, I am going to try this week and see how my supply does. Wish me luck and any info you guys have, keep it coming!!!