Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > General Health
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#211   ^
Old Tue, Oct-10-06, 18:43
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

Yes, Lyme disease is spread by ticks.

I'm being more paleo this week. I'm reducing my nut consumption too. But I still have some, so I'll probably have them for a little while longer.

I have a sneaking suspicion that my intestinal issues might be caused, or made worse, by taking turmeric, which I was taking for my arthritis. I increased it to 3 pills a day recently and my intestines got blatty again.
Quote:
My mum's being very supportive of my new food issues, and asked if we can get together and go over what I can and can't eat, so that Xmas dinner will be Tracy-friendly. It'll be better for her too, I reckon

Ah, so that's your name! Glad to hear Mom is cooperating! I think I'm sequestering myself for Tday this year. My sister won't cooperate so I won't even bother going up there. Besides, maybe I can bring my Mom home from the nursing home, and give her a good meal or something.
Sponsored Links
  #212   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 07:17
Dazilous

Plan: NeanderkIF
Stats: 140/114/110 Female 5 feet 2 inches
BF:
Progress: 87%

It sounds like you have a lot to be conscious of in regards to food. Do you ever find it exhausting?

When you first discovered you were gluten sensitive etc, did you have the urge to find and eat g-free versions of old favorites, carb count be damned? I am having this urge. I'm assuming it'll go away once the novelty wears off. But like, I made baked beans yesterday, with molasses and everything. I want to go back to VLC, but I'm not doing it. I'm averaging about 50g/day which I guess isn't really high, but it feels high for me coming from 10-15g/day!

Are you also insulin resistant? How does one go about finding that out? I thought I was bc of my reactions to grains, but now obviously I know otherwise.

This has become the "Tracy Asks Nancy" thread
  #213   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 08:17
Experimenter

BF:

Yes! I would inhale a bag of GF ginger snap cookies and think the entire time, "Boy, these aren't anywhere as good as the real thing". Part of my issue was that I had been using low carb flour and baking all kinds of goodies, and I REALLY missed it. It is an extreme challenge to try to bake thing that are both low carb and GF.

Insulin resistance? I don't think I am, although I think I was getting that way. One sign is that you gain weight around the waist. Another is high blood pressure. My BP was starting to creep upwards little by little. Once I got on low carb my waist slimmed down and the BP fell to "normal" levels again. Right now my weight is in my lower abdomen and below (hips, thighs). I think that is a healthier place to store fat.

I have a little bit of "White Coat" syndrome, meaning my BP is always higher at the doctor's office than at home. This time it was 120/80. Text book, perfect.

I think they test insulin resistance by seeing how much insulin you release after ingesting some amount of glucose. At least, that's my guess. The more you release, the worse you are.

I think those people that lose weight very quickly on low carb are probably more insulin resistant. That would certainly go along with the observation that people with "apple shapes" lose weight on LC faster than "pears".
  #214   ^
Old Wed, Oct-11-06, 11:53
Experimenter

BF:

Ok, I haven't taken the Turmeric supplement for more than 24 hours now and my gut is calming down. Funny... I did a search on the web for turmeric and diarrhea and it's supposed to be a cure for it, not the cause of it!
  #215   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 12:56

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Hi Nancy and Tracy I feel left out. I was just catching up since I have been away for a while. Tracy I am glad you found out some answers. Nancy I hope it is just the meds and not lyme. I got tested for lyme and MS and everything else a few years ago and it turned out my symptoms were stress related but they had to test everything else first to rule out everything. Now what do you do without taking your meds? What is the answer? Sometimes the side effects of meds is worse than the condition in the first place.
  #216   ^
Old Thu, Oct-12-06, 13:15
Experimenter

BF:

Turmeric is a supplement, a spice actually, that is supposed to help with arthritis and a bunch of other things. Frankly, I couldn't tell if it was working or not, I just took it hoping it would.

So no big deal cutting it out. Maybe I just need to take less of it or make sure I take it with a meal. I was taking it on an empty stomach.

I'm still doing ok GI tract wise. I really hope I have figured this out!
  #217   ^
Old Sat, Oct-14-06, 09:01
Experimenter

BF:

Wow, things are so much improved. In fact, they went into the opposite direction. I'm now constipated. As I was struggling last night I was trying to figure out which was worse. But I believe the last time I was constipated with January, just after I gave up dairy products. Finally I passed something that felt like an APPLE! Whole and unchewed. Ok, just felt that size and firmness. Good god.

I've been taking glutamate several times a week, staying off turmeric and doing the IF. So one of those things is helping me out here!

Its kind of amazing to think I've had loose bowels for over 10 months.
  #218   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 09:33

Plan: low carb
Stats: 185/177/145 Female 5 feet 5 inches
BF:Too much/21%/22%
Progress: 20%

Wow Nancy I bet you feel a whole lot better. Now you need to figure outwhat it is that is causing you to be better and you will have figured it all out.
  #219   ^
Old Mon, Oct-16-06, 09:38
Experimenter

BF:

I think I'll wait for a bit to try the turmeric again. I hate to jinx myself.