Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 18:41

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default Weigh in question

Another question...Sorry if this has been asked before but i was looking and couldnt find it.
Doing the induction on atkins. When should I weigh myself? daily would seem to be a little discouraging. but every two weeks would sound like so far away....I guess I might have answered my own question but what are others doing?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 18:52

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

a lot of people say to do it weekly on here and to pick a time. I weigh daily out of curiousity. If I am up because of water or whatever it doesn't freak me out though. I only weigh in the morning and at night and watch myself go from 139 in the morning to 146 each evening. By morning, I'm 139 again or sometimes 141. Since I am eating to plan I know that it is just water, waste, etc. I just do it out of curiousity. It does help me see what is "normal" and how unpredictable our bodies are.

Alot of people say pick a time and a day each week to weigh. That is probably the best answer. Some people get caught up in those daily numbers and end up wanting to quit the diet even after they have lost weight, because they look on the scale and one day they have gone up 2 lbs.
  #3   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 18:56

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberview
a lot of people say to do it weekly on here and to pick a time. I weigh daily out of curiousity. If I am up because of water or whatever it doesn't freak me out though. I only weigh in the morning and at night and watch myself go from 139 in the morning to 146 each evening. By morning, I'm 139 again or sometimes 141. Since I am eating to plan I know that it is just water, waste, etc. I just do it out of curiousity. It does help me see what is "normal" and how unpredictable our bodies are.

Alot of people say pick a time and a day each week to weigh. That is probably the best answer. Some people get caught up in those daily numbers and end up wanting to quit the diet even after they have lost weight, because they look on the scale and one day they have gone up 2 lbs.

I weigh just like you. Any odd bumps and dips don't freak me out anymore. I think, though, the best bet is to figure out how you react to things. If you're a reactionist, once a week, if you can roll with the punches, whenever you want.
  #4   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 20:10

Plan: food? what's food?
Stats: 234/185/165 Female 62 inches
BF:nothin' but wobble
Progress: 71%

i weigh daily. as far as i'm concerned, i would rather see (and chart) the scale going down slowly and then have a quick zig up followed by another quick zig down than to try to weigh myself once a week... with my luck i'd end up hitting that ONE day when i'm retaining water and think that i wasn't doing anything right.
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 21:24
Registered Member

Stats: 177/158/135 Female 64 inches
BF:
Progress: 45%
Default I do it daily

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie0515
Another question...Sorry if this has been asked before but i was looking and couldnt find it.
Doing the induction on atkins. When should I weigh myself? daily would seem to be a little discouraging. but every two weeks would sound like so far away....I guess I might have answered my own question but what are others doing?

I weigh myself all the time. Like 3 or 4 times a day or more. I cant help it. I would say, if you have the willpower not to get on the scale all the time, every other day or every third day maybe. Once a week seems so infrequent to me.
Brandi
  #6   ^
Old Mon, Jun-18-07, 21:33
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

I weigh daily too but only one time a day and only in the morning after potty time.

I started this when I began my weight loss and still keep my pile of index carbs next to my scale...its become a ritual for me now.

I needed to get over the emotional reactions to daily fluctuations but it helped me to see how my body responded to different foods as I added them back into my plan....it also showed me how long it took my body to get back into weight loss mode when and if I ate off plan or overate.

Its been quite an education!!
  #7   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 06:48
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach - Phase 1
Stats: 230/206/140 Female 62 inches
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 27%

I weigh myself several times a day as well, usually 3 or 4. Pretty much every time I go to that bathroom and walk by the scale. I am curious, but I have had to learn not to let the little daily fluctuations bother me. My weight can vary from 2 to 5 pounds more than in the morning by evening. But when I wake up in the morning I am usually below what I was the previous morning. You just have to do what feels right to you, and learn to go with it.
  #8   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 07:11
Attitude is a Choice

Plan: No sugar, flour, wheat
Stats: 228.4/209.0/170 Female 5'6"
BF:stl/too/mch
Progress: 33%

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicai67
I weigh myself several times a day as well, usually 3 or 4. Pretty much every time I go to that bathroom and walk by the scale. I am curious, but I have had to learn not to let the little daily fluctuations bother me. My weight can vary from 2 to 5 pounds more than in the morning by evening. But when I wake up in the morning I am usually below what I was the previous morning. You just have to do what feels right to you, and learn to go with it.

IMHO, weighing more than once a day can become obessional and counterproductive. Weighing once a day, at the same time each day, will show you your actual weight. We eat and drink all day and of course our weight will fluctuate with that during the day.
  #9   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 07:34
Registered Member

Plan: South Beach - Phase 1
Stats: 230/206/140 Female 62 inches
BF:Don't wanna know
Progress: 27%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Judynyc
IMHO, weighing more than once a day can become obessional and counterproductive. Weighing once a day, at the same time each day, will show you your actual weight. We eat and drink all day and of course our weight will fluctuate with that during the day.

I agree, but I am having a hard time stopping myself. I think I have a mild case of OCD. I was trying to suggest that if the OP wanted to weigh once a day that was OK, because I ( a crazy person) weigh several times a day, and am ok with it.
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 10:27

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:

Thaks everyone who responded! I appreciate it all! I weighed myself yesterday morning coming out of the shower(wanted no added weight from cloths! LOL!) and did so again today in the morning. so thanks for the advise. I will try once a day for now. That seems like the best thing to do.
  #11   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 11:27
Registered Member

Plan: PP/Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 178/137/137 Female 5'6"
BF:28%
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurie0515

I weigh myself every single day, and I still do. When I was actively trying to lose weight I would average my weights for the week and compare the average from one week to the next. That way I could really the trends of what was happening and not get to caught up in the day-to-day ups and downs, which there will be, maybe not on induction, but later on, there will be. Like KvonM said, there were plenty of weeks where my "Saturday weight" would look like I had gained weight for the week, but the average weight would show a loss from the week before.

Also, One of my main goals was to get to know my body and how it reacts to different things, and along with my food and exercise journal, I can pretty much predict how my weight will respond to almost anything! Invaluable information.

Last edited by ElleH : Tue, Jun-19-07 at 11:32.
  #12   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 18:00

Stats: 166/158/135 Female 5'6
BF:39/34/20%
Progress: 26%

Ok I take it back about some people telling you to weigh once a week. lol

I think I have ocd. I get interested in something (like losing weight) and try to learn everything about it. How is that bad? I learn by doing and experiementing. I get on the scale once in the morning and once at night. If it was at work, I'd do it every time I go to the bathroom. I have an extra scale, but I don't want them to know i'm oc.

Good luck on your weightloss!
  #13   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 18:17

Plan: ATKINS
Stats: 267/243/140 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 39%

The cool thing about weighing yourself everyday is tracking it in the MY PLAN thing and then looking at your chart later. Someone on here posted about that, along with her chart and it was cool! If you are interested to see how your body responds or how it doesn't in some case, chart it. It's a cool tool. (I'm a poet. )
Good luck to you
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 09:03

Plan: atkins/low carb
Stats: 209/158/130 Female 5'2
BF:
Progress: 65%

I usually weigh once every morning before i consume any food or water...sometimes I skip a day but not usually! If I weigh at night then I'm weighing all the food and water I've had for the day which adds anywhere from 2-4 lbs so I like to look at the lower morning weight!
  #15   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 13:31

Stats: 175/133/120 Female 60 in
BF:52.4/35/22
Progress: 76%

I'm also a morning weigh-er. right when I get up, after I use the bathroom, before I consume anything.

I personally wouldn't weigh after my shower because i have long hair and I would be so concerned that the water my hair collected had skewed the results, I would weigh compulsively throughout the rest of the day to double check, but I wouldn't get very accurate results because it wasn't the same situation as when I'd first weighed...

I have some issues.