Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Newbies' Questions
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Mark Forums Read Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 18:46

Plan:
Stats: //
BF:
Progress:
Default rev rolls?

What are these and how do i make them? I have looked all over this forum for them and cant find them at all!! I think I might be desperate. Are they good for induction?
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 18:50
Low-Carb Dharma

Plan: Atkins Induction
Stats: 446.5/434.6/150 Female 5 feet 0 inches
BF:
Progress: 4%

Here is the recipe - from this forum (found it by googling lol)

Ingredients:

* 3 large eggs, separated
* 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
* 3 Tablespoons cottage cheese (or 3 1/2 tbsp ricotta)
* 2 packets Splenda
Preheat oven to 300°F.

Separate eggs very carefully (make sure NONE of the yolk gets into the white.) Spray PAM on a Teflon cookie sheet. Use an electric beater to beat egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff (but not dry). Mix egg yolks, cottage cheese and Splenda (or Sugar Twin) in separate bowl. Fold yolk-mixture carefully into egg whites being sure not to break down fragile whites - mix no longer than 1 minute. Place the mixture carefully on the cookie sheet, gently putting one tablespoon on top of another until it is two (2) inches in height. Repeat until you have 6 little "pillows". Place the cookie sheet in the oven and bake for 35-55 minutes (depending on your firmness preference.)

Makes 6 rolls. 1 carb per serving.

Now, it says cottage cheese, but that never works when I try it, so I use ricotta. The splenda makes them rather sweet, so I leave that out.

The only trick to these is to really whip those egg whites til they are very stiff peaks.

They are ok on induction, though the cheese has to be watched carefully. I like to take 2 rolls and make a fried egg / canadian bacon sandwich! Mmmmmm.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 22:02

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 274/208/180 Male 69.5
BF:
Progress: 70%

Here's the recipe I use.

6 egg whites
4 egg yolks
1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
3 oz (~6 tablespoons) cream cheese
1 packet splenda
dash of salt

Basically following the same directions above. Beat the whites and cream of tartar until very stiff. Mix the yolks, softened cream cheese, splenda and salt. Fold together gently and pile on parchment paper-lined cookie sheet. Bake at 300 for 45 minutes to an hour (depending on oven).
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Jun-19-07, 23:15

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Personally, I didn't think they were that great at all. They looked delicious and just like rolls but didn't taste like them, IMO. I did find that when they were a little stale (stored in paper bag for a day) they were pretty good as a burger bun but definitely not good as a side roll with dinner, for example, IMO.

Good luck!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 06:59

Plan: Healthy moderate carb
Stats: 215/171/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 80%

I make mine with mayo. They have to be put in the fridge overnight so they become softer and reach their full flavor. I put them in a large plastic freezer bag unopened in the fridge. Don't put them in a paper bag or leave them out of the fridge-they could go bad. They are not like regular bread but think of them more like a soft meringue roll.
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:28

Plan: vegan low-carb
Stats: 252/252/199 Female 64.5 inches
BF:
Progress: 0%

Sorry, I meant to say that I did keep them in the fridge. The recipe I had said to put them in a paper bag? I don't know why - maybe to keep them from getting moist? Who knows....

Glad you like them - mayo's a good idea
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 07:39

Plan: Atkins (veteran)
Stats: 321/206.2/160 Female 5'4"
BF:new scale :(
Progress: 71%

Or put them in a plastic ziploc bag with holes punched in, separated by waxed paper so they don't stick together.

I like mine with ricotta cheese and I hate the splenda in it, I use onion powder in the yolk mixture. They are amazing to cart along with you when you know there will only be hamburgers available, say. You can make them in muffin top containers and they come out as little disks, much like rolls.

They do not taste like bread. They have a light, spongey texture.
I think people won't like them if they are expecting bread.

They are now a staple in my life. (I use a carton of egg whites because I stink at separating eggs. They whip up sooooo well.)

S
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Jun-20-07, 22:25
Never Give Up!

Plan: It's anybody's guess!
Stats: 350/250/160 Female 70 inches
BF:
Progress: 53%

You know, Pennink, I have never tried the Rev Rolls because I hated the idea of having to separate all those darned eggs! Thanks for the idea of using a carton of egg whites! At last, I can give the darned things a try and see if I like them.