Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Thu, Jun-16-05, 20:32

Plan: General Low Carb
Stats: 225/208.6/140 Female 5'2"
BF:Really/effing/high
Progress: 19%
Default PeTA caught in the act

I got this on one of my dog grooming lists......and I found links for more info (at the bottom)

Wow, what an exciting day it's been. I'll try to start at
the beginning. this actually started about 2 years ago. We don't really have

an SPCA here in the 2 counties. Bertie and Hertford. We have Animal Control
to hold the animals. And the cats and dogs, puppies and kittens that are
dropped off at the 2 vets here .The vets do try to hold them for a little
while and then PETA comes and takes them back to Virginia Beach to "find
them good homes". They pick up at all the animal controls and the vets.
I live way out in the woods. nothing here but the nearest town is Ahoskie.
a very small town with one Wal Mart as the only shopping store. Well, the
year before last and last year there were a number of cats and dogs found
dead in the dumpsters , once behind the Chinise resturant and then behind
the Piggley wiggley. We all thought the local animal control or whoever
picks up animals from the vets that are put to sleep just got lazy and put
them there. Well, last
night the police, undercover , followed PETA from My vets office where they
just picked up some wonderful kittens, to find them homes. These kittens
were just weaned and very sweet. this is the vet where I take pictures and
work part time. Anyway, they put the kittens in the van [PETA] and killed
them and took them to the dumpster at Piggley Wiggley. Where the police got
them. they were actually caught in the act of dumping dead animals in the
dumpster. There were a lot of animals so the police called My vet, Dr.
Proctor, and animal control to come and identify the animals. Sure enough
they got them. They were both PETA people. They were held in the local jail
for while, not sure how long. Now it's all over the news. YEAH. My vet is so
angry, He is calling and being interviewed by all the local news people. We
want the word spread all over the world. who would think in a tiny
little town like this is where it's all going to go down? That's probably
why they thought they could get away with it.
Oh, they also got them for illegal drugs. The van was full of the drugs.
Email everyone and get the word out. If any stations will pick
this up or want to know about it, My vet can tell them. It's in Ahoskie,
N.C. His name is Dr. Patrick Proctor.
I'm so excited they finally got caught. and sick over what has happened. I
just was petting and loving on those kittens yesterday. This really shows
the true PETA. Of course, PETA won't make a statement
yet and will probably say they weren't associated with this. But they were.
Finally they are caught!

For more on the subject, see http://www.roanoke-chowannewsherald.com/ , http://www.wavy.com/Global/story.asp?S=3482974 and www.petakillsanimals.com

Last edited by Mandra : Fri, Jun-17-05 at 06:50.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 00:50
Queen of Bouncing

Plan: Temp - PSMF
Stats: 240/198/135 Female 63"
BF:Who Knows
Progress: 40%

That is sick, and heartbreaking.

Debbie
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 13:46

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

This is extremely upsetting to learn. What possible motivation would PETA have for killing so many animals? I don't understand. Is it really just all about money?

I've never supported PETA because I thought they were too extremist, instead I support a local no-kill shelter and also 2 rescue organizations that are also "no-kill" - they either adopt the animals, or give the animals a home themselves. However, I never thought for a moment that a) PETA participated in the killing of any animals whatsoever or that b) they were opposed even to people having dogs and cats as pets!

Dogs, especially, but cats too, are domesticated animals! For example, there is no way my pug could survive, nor do I think most pugs or brachycephalic dogs, in the wild. What a loss for the world this would be!

What is their defense for this kind of behavior? Even the most extremists nuts seem to have some reasoning, so how does an organization devoted to animals justify killing them? I'm confused and appalled.
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 14:02

They believe the animals are better off dead than "enslaved" by humans.

This is why they do things like letting dogs out of their kennels at dog shows (so they can run off and get lost or killed on the road or attacked by other dogs), poisoning dog's water at shows, poisoning packs of hunting dogs etc. I personally was at a show where an animal rights bunch sprinkled glass in the rings.

And, of course, they believe that breeding dogs like pugs and basset hounds is especially cruel because they are "deformed" and "unnatural' and "can't live normal lives".

Last edited by Mandra : Fri, Jun-17-05 at 14:09.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 14:50

Plan: My Own
Stats: 285/268/130 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 11%

I see. Well, that is perfectly ridiculous that pugs and other such breeds are "deformed". And enslaved? Hmmm.... I guess they have no idea who really runs MY house! My first reponse was to say they can just kiss my "deformed" pugs a*$ but I'm trying to be calm.

How utterly horrible and twisted they are. I knew they were out there but jeez. These people need to be stopped like any other terrorist organization!
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 16:33
Forum Founder

Plan: Atkins/PP/BFL
Stats: 400/223/200 Male 5 ft 11
BF:37%/17%/12%
Progress: 89%

PETA does this because it's an animal "rights" organization, not an animal "welfare" organization.

They see it like this: Domesticating animals as pets is unjust to those animals, like slavery. "Freeing" those animals is unjust, since they don't have the skills to survive in the wild. So why not help them get extinct...

Unfortunately, with the multi-million dollar campaigns they run with their super models, one of their ads that makes fun of people with Cancer (like the one they did on Rudi Giuliani), can help finance several SPCA chapters for years.

Unfortunately, many animal lovers defend PETA, without recognizing this philosophical difference between animal rights and welfare.
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Jun-17-05, 18:31

>>>Unfortunately, many animal lovers defend PETA, without recognizing this philosophical difference between animal rights and welfare<<<

Hopefully this story will become widespread enough to change that.

PeTA and their ilk are actually against animal welfare, because the better treated domestic animals are, the harder it is for them to push their agenda. The only reason they push for reforms by KFC etc. is to drive up the cost of the meat, hopefully discouraging people from eating it.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 08:18

Plan: common sense low carb
Stats: 221/190/175 Male 6 feet
BF:27/13/10??
Progress: 67%

here's frau newkirk's defense of peta's actions:

http://www.nypost.com/gossip/pagesix.htm

PETA KILLS, DUMPS 31 POOCHES

STAR-studded animal rights charity People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals stands accused of a horrific hound slaughter, after two employees were caught tossing the corpses of 31 orphaned dogs they had "euthanized" into a Dumpster outside a Piggly-Wiggly store in Ahoskie, N.C.

The activist group — which has a legion of boldfaced supporters including glamorpuss Pamela Anderson, retired NBA star Dennis Rodman and hip-hop mogul Russell Simmons — was caught following a surveillance operation by North Carolina police.

Ahoskie police chief Troy Fitzhugh told PAGE SIX that up to 80 dead dogs, including seven puppies, had been illegally dumped in the area over the past four weeks.

The two who were arrested, Andrew Cook, 24, of Virginia Beach, Va., and Adria Joy Hinkle, 27, of Norfolk, Va., are employees of PETA, and the white van they were driving was registered to the activist group. Fitzhugh said that all the dogs had been taken from nearby animal shelters, and were "living when they were picked up."

PETA insists that its method of euthanasia, lethal injection, is more humane that the local methods — .22-caliber rifle or poison gas. The local shelters knew the dogs "adopted" by PETA were doomed to die, PETA claims — but local officials say they were told the organization would find homes for the animals, not slaughter them.

PETA president Ingrid E. Newkirk told us, "We have a history of communications with these shelters. They know we provide free euthanasia services. We drive down there to euthanize their animals."

Newkirk said the fact the canine corpses were thrown in a Dumpster was "a shocker for us too," and, "should never have happened," but insisted the two staffers should not have been charged with animal cruelty. She said they were being unfairly treated and were "good people."

Newkirk added, "You can sit there and write what you want and I hope you're happy about it. Why don't you come down and get your hands dirty? Come ride in our van and see the condition of these dogs that no one cares for. We are here to stop animals from being cruelly treated. They were being shot with .22 rifles and gassed in windowless boxes until we arrived."
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Jun-18-05, 15:19
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

I think someone shared this link on my Peta post...or I read it in the paper! Either way these people are nuts! I can see sticking up for animals but to think an animal is better off dead then a pet? My pets are a part of my family and get treated as such! NUTS!!!!
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 04:38

Plan: 6 week cure
Stats: 217/183/120 Female 4'11"
BF:Yes, it is.
Progress: 35%

Here's another lovely link about PETA. I've posted this information on two other boards, one of them a dog board, and you'd be surprised how many folks still thought PETA was a "benevolent" society. Yeah, like all terrorists are benevolent.

Anyway, if you're interested, happy reading.

http://www.animalscam.com/

I have two Jack Russells. When I look into their beautiful loving and trusting eyes, I wonder how any one can live with themselves after putting down sweet animals that only want someone to love. My dogs own me heart and soul.

shortstuff

Last edited by shortstuff : Sun, Jun-19-05 at 04:43.
  #11   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 15:54
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%

I'm not sure if it is PETA behind the incidents (and it would be wrong to blame them), but usually, when I lived in California, econauts would sneek into the University of California agricultral research areas and tear up crops, and do as much damage as possible.

Yes, it was engineered food, but if you are starving to death in Bangladesh or Ethiopia, I doubt you care about such things when you have an opportunity to grow and produce a high protein corn, or wheat variety.
  #12   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 15:57
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins, on and off
Stats: 190/175/165 Male 5' 9"
BF:12-13% (?)
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pugzilla
I see. Well, that is perfectly ridiculous that pugs and other such breeds are "deformed". And enslaved? Hmmm.... I guess they have no idea who really runs MY house! My first reponse was to say they can just kiss my "deformed" pugs a*$ but I'm trying to be calm.

How utterly horrible and twisted they are. I knew they were out there but jeez. These people need to be stopped like any other terrorist organization!

I haven't read anyone elses reply Pugzilla, but I imagine you know that probably most of those dogs at those dog shows live better than most of the population in South America and Asia.

Some people can't see "the forest through the trees."

Over40
  #13   ^
Old Sun, Jun-19-05, 20:12
littl' ol' me;-)

Plan: Atkins-my own
Stats: 160/135/125 Female 5'8"(almost)
BF:Too dayum much!
Progress: 71%

I need a whippen for posten mythread about Peta..maybe not as bad ..ect.....I had no clue! And to prove my point...by friend rasies beagles...she doesn't belive in puppy mills and give the pups that aren't show quality to families that she totally screens..more so then some people do for sending their children to child care! Her dogs get new 'toys' the best health care and the best food! She loves her doggy children as much as she loves her sons! Her pets are her family.....as pets should be!! People who love their pets deffinatly treat them better then alot of children are treated! Maybe Peta people should do something other than kill pets and feed the hungry children in the USA with the monies they get!!!
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Jun-22-05, 08:14

Plan: Atkins.
Stats: 226/222/161 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 6%

Vets cremate dead animals, they would never dump them like that, they understand the need to be hygienic and prevent the spread of disese.
PETA are not animal lovers, they love power and anarchy.