Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low-Carb Studies & Research / Media Watch > Low-Carb War Zone
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#16   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 01:47

Plan: atkins
Stats: 210/126/127 Female 5ft 7in
BF:
Progress: 101%

Quote:
Originally Posted by

[font=Times New Roman
Allowed: one real sinful reward a day. [/font]
Must be of the type icecream, chips, cake, chocolat etc.in a gratifying amount.

(This 'sin' can later be replaced by a psychological reward, buy a magazine, have some good sex given, watch a movie etc. etc.)

... and exactly why do you need a reward anyway?? and if you really feel you've done something amazing to have to have one, why does it have to be food?? - bad food??

Jo
Sponsored Links
  #17   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 04:40
Registered Member

Plan: Warrior LC
Stats: 222/201/191 Male 180 cm
BF:30%/12%/12%
Progress: 68%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ojoj
... and exactly why do you need a reward anyway?? and if you really feel you've done something amazing to have to have one, why does it have to be food?? - bad food??

Jo

A reward is the better choice for implementing new behavior. So what I do is eating quite clean, and accept the 'daily cheat' as a not necessarily LC motivator. Works quite good for me.

The reward has not especially to be bad food, but a Schwarzwalder Kirschtorte or apple pie with cream is for me a luxury reward which I like to take now and then.
  #18   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 04:47

BF:

My reward??? wearing a bikini, clothes shopping!! To name but two things!

Jo

Last edited by ojoj : Thu, May-19-05 at 04:53.
  #19   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 04:49

BF:

...when I finally have the will power to give up smoking, will I be allowed to have a cigarette as a reward for giving up smoking?? LOL

Jo
  #20   ^
Old Thu, May-19-05, 10:30
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

I don't consider "cheating" to be a reward. I consider it to be an unavoidable consequence of not being a hermit in a culture that considers carbs and other junk food to be an acceptable diet. In other words, I "cheat" to be socially acceptable, (Bob would never speak to me again if I didn't eat some of his baked beans) or (much more rarely) because the only other alternative is going hungry, which also raises my insulin level.

Wyv
  #21   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 01:55

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyvrn
in other words, I "cheat" to be socially acceptable, (Bob would never speak to me again if I didn't eat some of his baked beans)
Wyv

You see these days, I've become much more militant about my way of eating and I would turn that statement on its head "I would never speak to Bob again if he expected me to eat some of his beans"

When you look around and see all the wierd and wonderful ways other people eat nowadays (vegan, veggie, low fat, low cal, coeliacs... etc) Why should my WOE make me a social outcast? why should eating a cake or high carb dessert make me more socially acceptable - the truth is IT DOESNT

sorry - rant over

jo
  #22   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 10:39
Dog is my copilot

Plan: paleo/lowcarb
Stats: 210/162/145 Female 62in
BF:
Progress: 74%

ojoj, I hear you on that, and to a great extent I feel the same way. It's a question of picking battles. My point is that I don't "cheat" because I miss the carby stuff, because I don't.

Wyv
  #23   ^
Old Mon, May-23-05, 15:30

Plan: low carb
Stats: 189/136/136 Female 5'4
BF:
Progress: 100%

I cheat because i cannot live without Chinese smorg and potatoe chips
  #24   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 18:22
Registered Member

Plan: CAD, south beach
Stats: 000/000/175 Female 5 foot 10inches
BF:too freaken much
Progress: 0%

I dont see whats wrong with having an occasional high carb treat. i think if a person 100% denies themselves the food they love the most they will go nuts and pig out on that high carb food. to have a bowl of ice cream once a month does not mean to have a semi truck load of ice cream. we must maintain some control. i treat myself to a small dish of ice cream or another high carb treat about once a month just so i wont go nuts.
after all God did give us taste buds for a reason, we just have to use them correctly.
  #25   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 19:04

Plan: 000
Stats: 000/000/000 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 0%

Bottom line is that if we condition ourselves to use High carbohydrate, high sugar, nutritionally-deficient food to be a "reward" we are, in essence, creating a disordered habit.

Which is why i'm fat in the first place. Too many accomplishments, too many rewards for them, and the result is a body more susceptible to illness.
  #26   ^
Old Tue, May-24-05, 20:50

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

We had smoked chicken at work today; there were incredible desserts. But there was a huge salad, smoked pork tenderloin, etc. I filled up great on the meat.

I resisted the ice cream pie. It was damn hard. I am guessing that it always will be with me and my evil friend sugar. I see no way for me to lose weight with a daily treat.

Once in a while, possibly. But routinely? No.
  #27   ^
Old Wed, May-25-05, 02:18

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by misskimbee
Bottom line is that if we condition ourselves to use High carbohydrate, high sugar, nutritionally-deficient food to be a "reward" we are, in essence, creating a disordered habit.

Which is why i'm fat in the first place. Too many accomplishments, too many rewards for them, and the result is a body more susceptible to illness.

Agreed ! Its our society and it starts in infancy, something we parents should watch - "oh well done, have a chocolate/candy bar" or - "cheer up, have some ice cream" I'm sure we've all done it.

Fortunately, I seemed to have changed my own mental reward system and no longer see a big, sugary cake as anything more than something that will make me feel sick and put me back on the road to obesity, nor do I feel I need to be rewarded for anything - The reward should be achieving the goal.

Jo

Last edited by ojoj : Wed, May-25-05 at 02:37.
  #28   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 04:09
That German Girl!

Plan: Low Carb, No Sugar
Stats: //! Female 5'11
BF:See my Inch Ticker
Progress: 64%

Heyyyy! I just quit smoking crack! For a whole day!

Who wants to join me for a pipe of hot, fresh reward crack?

Get it?
  #29   ^
Old Fri, Jun-03-05, 22:27

Plan: High Fat Paleo/some dairy
Stats: 233/207/133 Female 5"4"
BF:
Progress: 26%

Some people can give up refined carbs and eat unrefined ones and even cheat (reward) every now and again and lose a pile of weight, but not me. I can stick to plan and have one cinnamon scone (a big reward) or 2 tablespoons of brown or wild rice (a little reward) and gain 2 pounds and stall for at least a week even if I can control my cravings for carbs. However, once I reach my ideal weight I can be tempted by a very friendly paleo reward such as a fragrant pear (and it doesn't require baking). Even now if someone offered me a choice between any donut and a fragrant pear, it would be the pear hands down. If no fragrant pears are available I can reward myself with paleo friendly macaroons, made with raw honey, eggs and coconut.
  #30   ^
Old Sun, Jun-05-05, 00:59

Plan: A lifestyle change
Stats: 270/248/186 Female 65 inches
BF:
Progress: 26%

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimberlyw
Heyyyy! I just quit smoking crack! For a whole day!

Who wants to join me for a pipe of hot, fresh reward crack?

Get it?

This is hilarious and I completely agree!