Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Low Carb Health & Technical Forums > Cholesterol, Heart Disease
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Jul-08-02, 23:54

Plan: Atkins and Protein Power
Stats: 228/228/205
BF:
Progress: 0%
Default First Time Post

Hi folks....

Stumbled upon this web site and hope to get some help. I'm 35 years old with BP at 135/75 (taking meds to bring it down from 155/95) and found out today that my cholesterol was high. Here's the stats....

TC 345
HDL 53
LDL 269
Triglycerides 112

I have been doing the atkins diet on and off for nearly 5 years and have successfully had a net loss in weight of 30 lbs from 245 to 215. I fluctuate anywhere from 210-230 simply because I do the diet for 2-3 weeks then eat like a pig for a week or two. My doctor put me on 40mg of Provachol. Any reccommendations to help me out here? Thanks in advance for any information you can provide.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Tue, Jul-09-02, 00:21

BF:
Default forgot

I forgot to mention I workout with weights 4 times a week and do 3 days of cardio per week.

Thanks....
  #3   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 18:49
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 162/138.4/135
BF:33/27/24
Progress: 87%

It seems to me that you have the answer already, but you are punishing yourself for your successes. Why don't you stick to the diet? Are you being too strict and limiting when being good...ie when I'm good I'm very very good but when I'm bad watch out. Remember not to low calorie this diet, eat lots of protein and fat.

If there are certain foods that you can not live without why not plan to eat them but get your act together afterwards. I know that on a low Carb diet I can be "bad" for one meal but then I must be "good" for the next several meals to make up for it. Obviously the weight will come off faster if I'm always good but part of me enjoys being sinful once in a while and as long as I'm not bad for several meals(days) in a row I can still have some naughtyness and not swell up like a balloon.

Its funny but now if I eat a bunch of carbs. I start to feel bloated and uncomfortable and wish I had not. Luckily a Hersy's Kiss dosn't have the same effect but I bet a whole bag would. Maybe one day when I'm skinny I'll try it.

You may also preferr the Zone diet that allows for a few more carbs.

Don't give up, just keep tweaking this WOL until it works for you.
  #4   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 19:54

BF:
Default Thank you

Vonnovich....

You hit the nail right on the head. For me, it's either very good and strict...or horribly bad. I've never done the low carb diet for more than 4 weeks. After a 4 week period, I feel I want to be rewarded and end up binging for an eniter week. I'm talking gallons of ice cream, popcorn, fries, etc. The high LDL reading has really given me incentive to not binge like that. I will change my way of thinking and control myself.

I have a few other questions for anyone who could answer. The high fat and high protein diet will likely normalize my cholesterol? How do I get enough fiber in my diet? Are many of the low carb bars on the market good for supplementing a meal? I have found several that are 2 carbs (any other carbs listed have negligible impact on blood sugar). What about diet coke??

Thank you so much for helping me. At 35, I didn't think I'd be worrying about this, but action must be taken!!
  #5   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 21:05
Registered Member

Hi TV15WX

To help you stay LC try making yourself a really special meal once in a while. Lobster with melted butter, shrimps in a cream sauce, a huge expensive steak whatever you like, let that be a reward. If you still feel deprived buy a small ice cream or something sinful. Once the weight starts to come off its easier to stick too.
We also make sugar free ice cream. Its getting better ever time we try it. I add lots more flavorings than the recipes call for.

Fiber - spinach. You can even fry it. I like spinach so we eat it nearly everyday. You can add physillum husk if you have a problem but with 2 servings of green vegetables per day you should be OK. Water till you float. 10 glasses per day, the more the better. On days when I get a ton of water down my weight dips the following morning. I can guzzal warm water, but only sip it cold so I stand at the sink and force it down several times a day.

Low Carb bars...watch out. Many of them are not what they claim and they tend to cause bloat. My husband eats them once or twice a week, usually eats a sandwich every week and is now 180lb not over 205. (we don't know what his top weight was, he couldn't bare to look). If your choice is a Snickers or the LC bar, eat the LC bar.

There are tons of technical references on this site to all these questions. Use search and start reading.

Good Luck

Vonnovich
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Jul-10-02, 21:21
Registered Member

Diet Coke

I think that they will eventually determine that Diet Coke/pepsi should have a dangerous chemical sticker on the label. Yes I drink it but only as a sin or a treat. I know I have read that there is a chemical in the stuff that will inhibit weight loss. But I can not remember where I read the article - sorry. Maybe someone else can help us out. Basically avoid it. How many thin people do you know who drink diet coke? I know one lady, but shes neurotic so that dosn't count.

Good Luck

Vonnovich