Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 12:55

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%
Default Creamy Dairy Free Fudge

I found the original recipe on Things My Belly Likes: Maple Mint Fudge :

Quote:
Maple Mint Fudge (makes around 12 pieces)

1 cup butter
4 tbsps maple syrup
2 tsps peppermint extract
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/2 pecans, chopped

Mix all the above together using an electric mixer on a low speed until it is a smooth, creamy mixture.
Pour into a standard loaf tin lined with greaseproof paper. Freeze for 2 hours then remove and cut into chunks. Store in the freezer til devoured. Hubby referred to this as “like ice-cream” so be warned – it is not portable as it will melt. Eat from the freezer and don’t let it sit out too long. Especially if you live in a warm climate.

The changes I made:

*Used sf pancake syrup instead of maple syrup.
*Used chocolate extract instead of peppermint. I don't like peppermint. It will be fun to try different flavorings, like cherry or orange.
*Used 1/2 CUP walnuts instead of pecans because I've always used walnuts in my fudge.
*Added several drops of EZ-Sweetz to sweeten to my taste. Before I did this it had a VERY dark chocolate/bitter taste to me....but I did taste it before and I recommend doing the same.

I cut this into about 16 or more HUGE chunks of fudge. I've tried several recipes and this is the best so far and dairy free! This is one of those chocolate recipes that will make a great base for a wide range of experimentation....coconut flakes, peanut butter, etc. Can't wait.
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 14:00
95% Sugar Free!

Plan: Very high fat LC/HCG
Stats: 310/155.4/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 102%

Can't wait to try this. Will try with Walden Farms pancake syrup, which I happen to like a lot. Wonder how it would be with WF chocolate syrup.
  #3   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 14:15
Experimenter

Plan: DDF
Stats: 202/185.4/179 Female 67
BF:
Progress: 72%

I hate to rain on the parade but... how is it dairy free when the first ingredient is dairy?

Sounds good though!
  #4   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 14:26
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Does it really come out with a fudge-like texture? This is very close to the CO candy recipe I use, and it has more of a hershey-bar like texture.
  #5   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 15:45

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
I hate to rain on the parade but... how is it dairy free when the first ingredient is dairy?

Sounds good though!

Yes. My apologies. I try to limit all forms of dairy, with the exception of butter, which I seem to do okay with. The only other recipe I've tried that even came close to this was full of cream cheese. Now I feel bad for putting that in the title and getting peeps excited who can't eat dairy in ANY form. So sorry!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MizKitty
Does it really come out with a fudge-like texture? This is very close to the CO candy recipe I use, and it has more of a hershey-bar like texture.

Yes. This has a very satisfying creamy texture. The best I've gotten without using a cream cheese or peanut butter base. And the flavor is excellent.
  #6   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 16:06
Experimenter

BF:

Maybe one could use coconut oil instead?
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Nov-30-12, 18:18
95% Sugar Free!

BF:

Well you'll definitely get a candybar texture if you do, rather than fudgey.
  #8   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 12:04

BF:

Yes. It would be very hard and brittle using coconut oil in place of the butter. I wonder if canned coconut milk might work? It might still have a creamy texture when frozen? I've never tried freezing it but it might be worth a go.
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 13:32

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Terri- this sounds so good! Re: butter/CO question- Trader Joe's carries what they call canned coconut cream, which is a much thicker product much more like the texture of butter- I may try that.
  #10   ^
Old Sat, Dec-01-12, 13:51

BF:

Actually, I'm so intrigued about the prospect of the canned coconut milk that even though I still have a bunch of fudge in the freezer I'm going to try the recipe tonight using it. I think I will halve the recipe just in case it doesn't work.
  #11   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-12, 12:50
Experimenter

BF:

Yeah, I bet the coconut cream would work!

I made this, altering the original recipe by leaving out the maple syrup.

I'm kind of on the fence about it. It tastes like chocolate-flavored butter to me. I think it needs more cocoa powder, I even added a few extra tablespoons and it still isn't very chocolate-y. The texture is too hard to be fudge-like. Even after I left it in the fridge for several hours it was still hard enough to sort of crunch when I bit into it.

I ended up using a mix of almost ever sweetener in my cupboard and it definitely doesn't have that nasty taste chocolate can get with some non-caloric sweeteners.

Next time, I'll try it with coconut cream instead of butter and be ready to use a LOT more cocoa.
  #12   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-12, 18:46

BF:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy LC
Yeah, I bet the coconut cream would work!

I made this, altering the original recipe by leaving out the maple syrup.

I'm kind of on the fence about it. It tastes like chocolate-flavored butter to me. I think it needs more cocoa powder, I even added a few extra tablespoons and it still isn't very chocolate-y. The texture is too hard to be fudge-like. Even after I left it in the fridge for several hours it was still hard enough to sort of crunch when I bit into it.

I ended up using a mix of almost ever sweetener in my cupboard and it definitely doesn't have that nasty taste chocolate can get with some non-caloric sweeteners.

Next time, I'll try it with coconut cream instead of butter and be ready to use a LOT more cocoa.

hhhmmm....did you use chocolate extract like I did or the peppermint from the original recipe? I really like the flavor of it with the chocolate extract, though it was a bit too overpowering at first. And mine def doesn't crunch. It's pretty creamy. Surely the sf pancake syrup couldn't make that much of a difference in the texture?

Still haven't tried it with the coconut milk yet....let us know how that goes.
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Dec-03-12, 20:20
Experimenter

BF:

I didn't have any chocolate extract so I used peppermint. I do like peppermint and chocolate together.