Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > New Members & Low-Carbers > Introduce Yourself
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 19:21

Plan: Dr. Atkins'
Stats: 175/140/133
BF:
Progress: 83%
Talking Many other health problems cleared up for me when I went low carb, five years ago.

Just want to share with others, that I go on and off the Atkin's diet periodically, it has never let me down when I stick to it. I have been able to lose 40 pounds and keep it off as long as I am pretty good on my Atkin's diet. I have found also, that a lot of other things, medical problems, cleared up.. The most important has been my problem with mood swings. It's a problem when I am allowing myself to have carbs and sugar, it's not a problem when I am not. Also, I don't have pain in my leg joints as I used to, and I don't have insomnia. I dont have the same problems feeling bloated and gassy as I used to, and I don't have other problems. I definately look younger, I don't have acne, (used to be a big problem for me) and I don't have the same problems with cellulite.
How can anyone try and tell me that this diet is not healthy for me? How many doctors could possibly clear all this up for me? And make me lose weight! I try to tell some of my overweight friends about low-carbing it, but for some reason, they think I am earting a lot of meat! i am only eating a little more meat than the average person, and that's only because I have bacon once a week or so. Otherwise I just don't know why they won;t try something that's really worked for someone they know! I am someone who really has tried so many diets, especially low fat. The low carb plan is not for everyone, but it's for me. I think it's a much much more healthy way of eating for most people.
thanks for reading this.
Bonny
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Mon, Mar-18-02, 21:11

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%

Thanks for sharing Bonnie, low-carbing has been wonderful for me aswell, it has stabilized my blood sugar and has put my fibromyalgia in remission. Out of curiousity, why is it U go on and off the plan? I have been low-carbing for almost a year and I know the minute I was to have more than one bad meal in a row, I would dearly pay for it so I wont take the chance.
  #3   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 00:19

Plan: Atkins-ish, post-WLS
Stats: 408.0/288.0/168.0 Male 72 inches
BF:
Progress: 50%

Thanks likewise. There are definitely so many other benefits.

Like gwilson, I have to wonder why you would go off a WOE that you know has so many positive effects on you. Have you ever sat down and tried to figure that out. Keep in mind that, at some point, your body is almost certain to stop responding well to further weight loss attempts - even this one.

Best to you.
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-19-02, 06:39

Plan: Atkins & Schwarzbein
Stats: 234/157/90 Female 4' 6"
BF:56.4%/38.8%/23.9%
Progress: 53%

Hi Bonny

Welcome to the forum. Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm glad that this way of life has so many positive benefits for you.

I must admit I've had the reaction about this being a meat diet from others. Mainly because they do not understand what you are doing or the biological mechanisms behind it.

Like the others, I also ask, why you dip in and out of this way of life? Is it not just better to stick with it, increase your carbs to a reasonable level and then have the odd days when you go considerably over the top. That way you should not have any long term problems.

All the best.
  #5   ^
Old Tue, Apr-02-02, 15:16

BF:
Wink Periodic Return to Carbs

Hi There

I want to thank everyone who replied to my last posting. Everyone wonders why I fall off the Atkin's wagon periodically. I think it's because I know I can get back on when I am ready, and I will lose the weight I need to. However, when I do go off the diet for extended periods of time, (it's been over a month this time) I find that I can get away with it for maybe two weeks with minimal trouble and only a few pounds weight gain, but any more than that, I am reminded of all the trouble I had before. It's just a matter of deciding to be good again. I like to know that I can go out and have a Starbucks Mocha if i feel the desire. I love all the things I am not supposed to have, but I do find the diet incredibly do-able. Especially compared to diet pills and starvation which is the other way i used to be able to lose weight. Oh, and running excessively. Anyhow. I know I should never go off of the diet if I choose to be truly healthy, but there are times when I really want those carbs. Especially holidays. I keep my bigger pants, but I keep my smaller ones too. Luckily, thanks to the benevolent Dr. A. I always can fit back into my smaller pants. This may seem like yo-yo ing it to some, but I think it's natural. Sometimes I think emotionally I need to get back into the chubby body. For some reason, I am so connected to the safety it gives me, that I need it. Sometimes I need the slim body, to be my best in the prize-fight of life. Anyhow, regardless, I thank God that I have found an incredible diet such as the Atkins' diet, which really has helped me.
Cheers, Y'all!
  #6   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 08:41

Plan: atkins
Stats: 188/139/140
BF:
Progress: 102%
Default hi Bonny

I have seen that many times, that some people [especially women] go off an "eating plan" because they do feel a sense of security being in a "chubby" state. My guess is that it is something from their past that triggers that need for security. As for going off the plan for a few weeks to eat "items" not allowed, what about just having a day here and there? For example at Christmas eat what U want [ but dont stuff yourself] then the next day go back to low-carbing. For any holiday or special occassion you can do it that way and yet you will be able to handle the damage control.
  #7   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 09:20

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%
Thumbs up

Congratutaions Bonny on feeling better. So many people don't acknowlege the benifits of this WOE other than weight loss.

Keep it up!

Melissa
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 10:18

BF:
Thumbs up wow!

Wow girl! You have lost so much weight! That's really awesome. Isn't it funny that so many people turn a blind eye to this, (low carbing it) when it's absolutely the only thing I have ever seen effect so many people so positively! I am really glad I found this website. Maybe now I can show my mother in law that I am not the only one! Keep it up girl! I have reached my goal weight before, it's so much fun!
Bon
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Apr-03-02, 12:03

Plan: Atkins (89)
Stats: 221/159/150 Female 66
BF:sizes:18W/ 8 /6-4
Progress: 87%
Default Relatives

Ahhhhh, the mother-in-law! I've been lucky enough to not have a problem with that (of course, mine hasn't seen me since my highest weight, but she'll be up next week ), my mother on the other hand........Reaching my goal weight will be such great proof of this WOE hehehehehehe

Melissa