Active Low-Carber Forums
Atkins diet and low carb discussion provided free for information only, not as medical advice.
Home Plans Tips Recipes Tools Stories Studies Products
Active Low-Carber Forums
A sugar-free zone

Welcome to the Active Low-Carber Forums.
Support for Atkins diet, Protein Power, Neanderthin (Paleo Diet), CAD/CALP, Dr. Bernstein Diabetes Solution and any other healthy low-carb diet or plan, all are welcome in our lowcarb community. Forget starvation and fad diets -- join the healthy eating crowd! You may register by clicking here, it's free!

Go Back   Active Low-Carber Forums > Main Low-Carb Diets Forums & Support > Kitchen: Low-Carb Recipes > Sweet treats
User Name
Password
FAQ Members Calendar Search Gallery My P.L.A.N. Survey

#1   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 13:25
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%
Default Blackberry Flax Muffins (or loaf)

I whipped these up after lunch today from some plump blackberries I bought this week. They came out real good. You could also make this up as a loaf.

Blackberries are sure plentiful in my local stores lately and they're coming down in price some, too. These are a pleasant change from the strawberry, raspberry or blueberry muffins I usually make. These could also be made with some drained crushed pineapple or mashed banana, if you’re to the “other fruits” rung yet. The recipe, as written, is not acceptable until the nuts and berries rung of the OWL ladder. If made up as a loaf in a greased loaf pan, this will take about 40 minutes to cook.

INGREDIENTS:

5 T. unsalted butter, melted
5 large eggs, beaten
6 T. cream
20 drops liquid Splenda (10 drops if you use the tiny bottle that is more concentrated)
5 pkts. stevia
1 T. granular erythritol (optional, to sprinkle on tops of muffins)
1 c. blackberries, coarsely cut up
½ c. almond flour
1 c. flax meal (I use a mixture of dark and golden)
½ tsp. cinnamon
2 T. oat fiber
2½ tsp. baking powder

DIRECTIONS: Preheat oven to 350º. Melt butter in large bowl. Beat in the 5 eggs. Add cream and liquid Splenda. Stir well. Measure and add in all the dry ingredients and stir to blend. Fold berries gently into batter but do not over work them or they will turn your batter dark. Line with paper or grease 12 muffin cups. Using ¼ c. measuring cup as a scooper, scoop ¼ c. batter into each cup. Use up any remaining batter evenly in the 12 muffins. Sprinkle the tops with the tablespoon of granular erythritol (if using). Pop into preheated 350º oven and bake for 20 minutes or until firm to the touch in the centers. These should freeze well.

NUTRITIONAL INFO: Makes 12 muffins, each contains:

183 calories
16 g fat
6.74 g carbs, 4.87 g fiber, 1.87 g NET CARBS
5.73 g protein
133 mg potassium
140 mg sodium
14% RDA Vitamin A, 12% B12, 10% calcium, 18% copper, 17% iron, 14% magnesium, 19% manganese, 18.5% phosphorous, 11% riboflavin, 14% selenium, 16% thiamin, 9% zinc
Sponsored Links
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 13:40

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 237.0/209.0/160 Female 5'5"
BF:
Progress: 36%

Yum Peggy these look gooooooooood!
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 13:55

Plan: south beach
Stats: 168/168/125 Female 4'11
BF:
Progress: 0%

Can I move in with you ,oh please.lol
  #4   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 15:16

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 180/138/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 120%

Peggy-

These looks amazing and blackberries are my favorite. Even have some canes in my garden-hoping they produce a bit this next summer. I am so happy to read a baking recipe that doesn't require any "Carb-Quik" or other baking mixes. Only stuff that I already have in my pantry- Thanks!
  #5   ^
Old Sat, Jan-14-12, 18:46
Patience Personified

Plan: LC/OMAD
Stats: 199/188/130 Female 5'3"
BF:5'5" tall
Progress: 16%

Thanks Rox. Gracie, you have to get in line. A number of folks have asked the same. LOL RVCooks, I planted blackberry canes (thornless Black Satin) last year and they survived our 60+ days of 100º+ temps this summer! And so far they are coming through multiple freezes in the 20's just fine. Hope mine start producing fruit this year, too. Lost all 3 of my baby thornless Canby raspberries during our drought conditions this summer, watering them daily even. I saw only 5 raspberries on them before they died. Going to try one 1-gallon Canby raspberry again this year. Maybe a more established plant can survive Texas heat/drought. If it survives, I'll invest in two more big ones the following year. I just love all berries, so being confined to eating just berries for my fruit for the rest of my life wouldn't be hard for me.

Let me know (if you make these) how you like these muffins! I just had another one and I think they're better cold than hot out of the oven!

Last edited by Buttoni : Sun, Jan-15-12 at 07:20.